Dual Shure Combinations

Wow! Thanxs a bunch! I have missed a few opertunities to get a V15III but I am not willing to pay into the hype especially if a cart is minus the original stylus. Far as Im conerned Shure has been out of it for many years but now that they finally made it official some folks are going to try to jack the prices up.

There's no "hype" when it comes to the V15 lll. It's simply an excellent cartridge. Fitted with a JICO VN35E or even better, the VN35HE, you won't need an original stylus.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1044

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1046

Last edited:
My CS 1246 has the M44c cartridge (I don't know if the TT originally came with it or if someone installed it). Its a good combination that doesn't have hum or background noise issues, and does well with recorded voices.

The 1246 would not have come from Dual with the M44C cartridge. That cartridge originally came with the N44C stylus (light blue grip) which tracked between 3 and 5 grams and was intended for changers or beefy tone-arms.

I don't know what stylus you have but a better stylus for that cartridge mounted in the Dual 1246 tone-arm would be the N55E (yellow grip), it tracks between 3/4 and 2 grams.

The 1246 would not have come from Dual with the M44C cartridge. That cartridge originally came with the N44C stylus (light blue grip) which tracked between 3 and 5 grams and was intended for changers or beefy tone-arms.

I don't know what stylus you have but a better stylus for that cartridge mounted in the Dual 1246 tone-arm would be the N55E (yellow grip), it tracks between 3/4 and 2 grams.

I remember you telling me this in another thread. I may try that route instead of replacing the cartridge. The cartridge seems to be in working order, and (like tires) I dread replacing cartridges because they are darned pricey.

As always I agree with malden! I already have a Jico HE stylus. All I need now is a III without stylus for a decent respectable price. Anyone care to share your opinion on what a fair price should be for a type III without stylus? Also for my CS 601 would you put the glued in style III to make it authentic as possible or just get a regular III with screws? Thanxs again

I saw real Jico's for the V-15 III on the LP Tunes website for about $55 +/- with free shipping.

They carry real Jico's now that they are the offical USA distributor

Last edited:
As always I agree with malden! I already have a Jico HE stylus. All I need now is a III without stylus for a decent respectable price. Anyone care to share your opinion on what a fair price should be for a type III without stylus? Also for my CS 601 would you put the glued in style III to make it authentic as possible or just get a regular III with screws? Thanxs again

There's a type lll without a stylus on ebay that ends in 4 days. I think $125 or so is a fair price.

I prefer the separate cartridge simply because I'm constantly swapping them out. But in terms of performance, the integrated cartridge / head-shell may be better simply because there is probably less mass. I've never weighed them so I'm just guessing.

I saw real Jico's for the V-15 III on the LP Tunes website for about $55 +/- with free shipping.

They carry real Jico's now that they are the offical USA distributor

I believe that one has a conical tip. Nothing wrong with that, I was considering getting one myself to use on worn records.

The nice thing about JICO conicals is that they are all .6 mil tips. which produce the high frequencies a little better than the standard .7 mil. I'll take a real JICO with a conical tip over any EVG with a so-called elliptical any day.

Shure prices are on the rise. Not sure what they are on ebay, but Amazon has the M97xe? for $199.00. They were a scant 99.00 on this same website before Shure made its announcement. When I first saw the price climb to $125.00, I bagged one from the bay for $100.00 (since I was planning to swap cartridges on my Garrard).

Shure prices are on the rise. Not sure what they are on ebay, but Amazon has the M97xe? for $199.00. They were a scant 99.00 on this same website before Shure made its announcement. When I first saw the price climb to $125.00, I bagged one from the bay for $100.00 (since I was planning to swap cartridges on my Garrard).

For under $200.00, you could do better with a run of the mill M75 cartridge body ($35.00 on ebay) and a JICO N75 stylus, $22.00 for a conical, $33.00 elliptical, $96.00 hyper-elliptical.

Many Realistic cartridges are M75's in disguise.

My dad had a 701 and it's had a V15 III on it since new. It's screwed onto the sled. At some point he also put a VN35HE stylus on it. I don't know if he bought the 701 and cart separately or if they came as a package, but I suspect the latter.

I also once bought a 1229 and that had a V15 III on it as well, but with the Super Track stylus. The woman I got it from supplied the original receipts and that indicated it came as a package.

For under $200.00, you could do better with a run of the mill M75 cartridge body ($35.00 on ebay) and a JICO N75 stylus, $22.00 for a conical, $33.00 elliptical, $96.00 hyper-elliptical.

Many Realistic cartridges are M75's in disguise.
Good to know. I have a realistic cartridge on my first turntable, which is not operational at the moment. I wonder if I should see if the cartridge is still good. Its from the mid 80's though, and I haven't played it in over 20 years!

Good to know. I have a realistic cartridge on my first turntable, which is not operational at the moment. I wonder if I should see if the cartridge is still good. Its from the mid 80's though, and I haven't played it in over 20 years!

Definitely check it out to see what cartridge is on it. By the mid-80s, Radio Shack was offering linear tracking tables with P-Mount cartridges, but they still offered several conventional turntables that were supplied with OEM versions of Shure cartridges. The LAB 440 that I have was still available in 1984 and came with the R47XT as the standard included cartridge. The R47XT is an OEM variant of the M95 series with an oversized plastic front shroud, which some people trim to permit using any M95 type stylus. I've left min intact and am using it with a NOS Shure Ne95ED stylus (these are still available new from LPTunes):

Shure_Ne95_ED_1.jpg

Shure_Ne95_ED_3.jpg

It predates your mid-80s time frame, but I also have a Realistic Elac Miracord 45 that came with a Shure R700E, which is yet another OEM M75 variant. It was considered a pretty high end cartridge back in the day and replacement stylus options are plentiful.

file.php

Realistic_R700_E.jpg

It's not a Realistic product, but another Shure OEM cartridge to watch for that flies under the radar is the 2215. It's an M93 variant that came in the EZ-Clip mount with no plastic shroud. So, in addition to the M93 type, it will also accept the M91 (same size plastic grip) and M75 (low profile plastic grip) types of replacement stylii. This was an OEM model that came with the Panasonic-made MCS turntables that were sold by J.C. Penney.

Shure_2215.jpg

Once you've had a chance to check yours out, let us know what cartridge you have. Unless yours was an entry level model, even as late as the mid-80s, most Realistic LAB turntables came with OEM Shure cartridges that were very high quality and still very desirable (and affordable).

Last edited:
Definitely check it out to see what cartridge is on it. By the mid-80s, Radio Shack was offering linear tracking tables with P-Mount cartridges, but they still offered several conventional turntables that were supplied with OEM versions of Shure cartridges. The LAB 440 that I have was still available in 1984 and came with the R47XT as the standard included cartridge. The R47XT is an OEM variant of the M95 series with an oversized plastic front shroud, which some people trim to permit using any M95 type stylus. I've left min intact and am using it with a NOS Shure Ne95ED stylus (these are still available new from LPTunes):

Shure_Ne95_ED_1.jpg

Shure_Ne95_ED_3.jpg

It predates your mid-80s time frame, but I also have a Realistic Elac Miracord 45 that came with a Shure R700E, which is yet another OEM M75 variant. It was considered a pretty high end cartridge back in the day and replacement stylus options are plentiful.

file.php

It's not a Realistic product, but another Shure OEM cartridge to watch for that flies under the radar is the 2215. It's an M93 variant that came in the EZ-Clip mount with no plastic shroud. So, in addition to the M93 type, it will also accept the M91 (same size plastic grip) and M75 (low profile plastic grip) types of replacement stylii. This was an OEM model that came with the Panasonic-made MCS turntables that were sold by J.C. Penney.

index.php

Once you've had a chance to check yours out, let us know what cartridge you have. Unless yours was an entry level model, even as late as the mid-80s, most Realistic LAB turntables came with OEM Shure cartridges that were very high quality and still very desirable (and affordable).

Ill check it out. My turntable was (is) a Garrard GT-15, in which I replaced its cartridge with a Realistic. The cartridge is still mounted on my TT..

Cartridges generally don't go bad. Post a photo when you get a chance.

I appreciate your loyalty...:)

Unlike some others who simply copy and paste photos and regurgitate what they've read on the internet, I put my money where my mouth is and speak only from personal experience. Since the mid 1970's, I've acquired a fairly sizable collection of Shure cartridges from all eras. I listen to them regularly mounted in some quality turntables that have been restored. You can't judge a cartridge if it is mounted in a poor performing changer such as a ELAC Miracord 45.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom