Duffinator

Duffinator

Spin The Black Circle
I’m the Duffinator and I work for the Governator. Not directly but I’m a financial analyst at a CA state pension fund. I’m originally from So. Cal. and really miss the OC beaches and life style there but not the traffic. Sacramento is a nice place to raise a family but it’s biggest claim to fame, besides being the temporary home of the Terminator, is it’s close to San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. I’m married with five year old twins. The twins are a blast and I’m a twin so it’s fun to watch my kids interact and wonder how my brother and I were at that age.

My audio odyssey started when I was a kid. My dad was a part-time musician and an electrical engineer so I got an early dose of music and gear. My first real piece of audio gear was a Sansui 3000A which I still have. I bought it while in college in 1977 from my uncle who purchased it while in Japan while serving in the Navy in 1968. I had loaned the Sansui to my dad who returned it to me three years ago. It was no longer working properly so while looking for info on the 3000A I found AK. AK has been my main online home ever since. I also belong to several other audio and video related forums and use Duffinator there as well.

Like many of you I’ve gone through a cycle of discovering how cool the vintage gear still is and how affordable it is compared to 30 years ago! I’ve bought and sold a bunch of stuff but my favorite electronics manufacturer is Sansui. Probably because it was my first… :smoke: I’m now focusing mainly on experimenting with different speakers. I’m also into home theater and have a mid-fi system that I’m constantly messing with. For me a large screen TV and nice multichannel audio system with a big subwoofer are perfect for watching your favorite concerts on DVD or HD! My favorite concert on DVD is the Brian Setzer Orchestra Live in Japan. If you haven’t seen it rent it and check it out. The music on this DVD crosses many genres and is a lot of fun.

On the music side I like pretty much all rock/pop music. I got into punk in 1980 and it really opened my eyes to being more open to different types of popular music. I do listen to some classical as well. But of course I have my favorites and they are X, U2, REM, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, The Ramones, Dire Straits, and on and on. If you are not familiar with X you can check out their website here.

Besides music, stereo equipment, and home theater, I enjoy spending as much time as I can with my wife and kids. As with many of you, my kids are the center of my universe and I cherish every minute of it. I also enjoy snow skiing, bike riding both road and mountain, sailing, golf, hiking, camping, fishing, and just being outdoors and soaking up the sun. I used to be really into sports cars and motorcycles but that has waned a bit although my need for speed hasn’t. :D

AK has been a lot of fun and I’ve met a lot or really cool people both online and in person. I look forward to meeting many more of you in the future. :thmbsp:

Howdy Duffinator!

X has a website. Wow. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know they were together. It's cool to see the "Los Angeles" X animated like that...

They went on tour supporting Under the Big Black Sun and I was too young to get in the bar they played in- that usually didn't stop me, I had already seen Elvis Costello and REM there. But the bastards were carding that night. I had to watch them through a window out front. What a show.

I've seen REM at the aforementioned bar in Columbia MO (Murmur), in a nice old restored theater in St. Louis (Fables), and a midsized arena thingy in Kansas City(Document). I'd like to be cool and say the bar show was the best. It's not true though. By the time they were supporting Document I think they were really starting to rev up as a band and just blew everyone away. Those were the days, I wish I could go back there and see it again.

I can relate to your Sansui preference, I too was wowed by a big Sansui receiver and latticework speakers when I was a kid. Actually it was a pretty formative moment as far as developing an interest in good audio equipment, but, strangely, I've never owned one piece of Sansui gear to this day.

My kids are the center of my universe too. I can bore a nonparent in a minute flat by regaling them with the latest cute phrase they use or weird painting one of them produced. That's when I switch to my other favorite topics: religion, politics, and rock and roll :rockon:

Duffinator (Rick) contacted me out of the blue about AK stuff one day and we've been good friends ever since. He has always been generous, thoughtful, funny and was going the extra distance even before I knew him well.

We have a lot in common. Music & audio gear preferences, dirt bikes, our mis-spent youth and our b-days are even just a couple months apart. Coincidentally we even signed up to AK only days apart. But as you can see he has been slacking in the post department. :D

I'm glad there is an AK because of guys like Rick.

Carl

X has a website. Wow. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know they were together. It's cool to see the "Los Angeles" X animated like that...
I don't think they are together now but they got together in 2004 for a concert to celebrate 25 years of their first album Los Angeles. They played a series of concerts through early 2006. I saw them at the House of Blues at Downtown Disney in Anaheim in February 2006 and they can still rock for a bunch of 50+ year olds. You can also check out the anniversary concert on DVD, it's titled Live in Los Angeles. :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom