1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question on new dryer w/ clogged vent alarm

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by soundmotor, Dec 17, 2017.

1. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

No, aluminum flapper door.

Pio1980 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just for the record (and FWIW): ours was flapper door with a screen (like hardware cloth) behind it -- which is why I didn't know it was clogged until almost too late :confused:

3. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Please tell us more about that.

Thanks.

4. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

5. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

his place burned down nyuk nyuk

6. soundmotor

Sort of. The "event" seems to center around one of our daughter's sweaters...we think. My wife picked this up and asked her not to wash it for a week. During that week, no alarm. When my daughter dried it again we got one but also didn't get one the next time she did. So it's an odd set of parameters and I am still not sure exactly what's up.

/fingers crossed

7. mhardy6647

Hmm.
    Sounds like static... doesn't it?

8. soundmotor

Interesting thought. Aren't dryer tubs were grounded to prevent that? If it was static how might that impede outflow? Not looking for definitives just an idea.

9. mhardy6647

I dunno from grounding in dryers -- but based on what socks do in our dryer, I think one could use a dryer's basket (tub) for an electrostatic transducer :)
    In fact, Mrs. H now puts socks and some other laundry on a drying rack instead of using the dryer because she got tired of fighting electrostatic interaction.
    (I still usually use the dryer, but the danged wool socks sometimes become one with other laundry)

My hypothesis - which may or may not be testable - is that the static field effs up the sensor, resulting in false positives (sort of like Hawai'i ;) ) -- not that there is an actual inhibition of airflow.

10. soundmotor

Interesting thought. That might actually get the attention of someone at Maytag.

11. soundmotor

Had a chat with my wife, static seems unlikely. It's a steam dryer so it has a water hookup and also has an anti-static feature that mists as it dries.

In hindsight I've not noticed any static whereas other machines we had zapped me as I unloaded clothes.

/back to square one...

:confused:

12. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

The next time it stops, pull out the lint screen, re-start it, and see if it makes a difference. I know it's new, but stranger things have happened.

13. soundmotor

It doesn't shut off, it keeps going when the light comes on. If you pull the screen mid-cycle the warning stays on even if you restart but resets when the next load is started.

I think... I've yet to have it happen to me but I will ask my wife about it too.