Dumpster MCS 3207

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Punker, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Punker

Punker New Member

Hi I need help restoring and clean an MCS 3207.i am experiencing scratchy volume. What's best contact cleaner? How do I change blown lightbulbs? It might have lose wiring

2. Mitkraft

Mitkraft AK Subscriber Subscriber

A search here will reveal your answers. For the scratchy volume you'll want some deoxit. Do a search on threads with deoxit in the title and you'll find one with step by step instructions. I'd also search lamp replacements and see if there is a thread about doing them on your unit.

3. Punker

Punker New Member

Thank you I wasn't able to find much information on my unit. Do you think I should replace the caps in my unit? Cause it hasn't been serviced in a long time

4. Punker

Punker New Member

Do you think it was an awesome score finding a vintage stereo receiver?

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead The Village Idiot Subscriber

I know nothing about MCS stuff - other than it was sold by JC Penney for a time. And my younger brother had one for a few years. If you aren't hearing any unusual buzzing or crackling noises it might be fine. If you want to do something with it replacing the power supply caps is always a good place to start.

6. Punker

Punker New Member

Just some cracking I opened it up and the caps seem fine

7. Punker

Punker New Member

But I think that is due to the volume

8. Punker

Punker New Member

Who made the JC Penney MCS line of Stereo audio equipment? What is the equivalent model for my MCS 3207? Because I can't find any information on it

9. Punker

Punker New Member

Also the front lights on the faceplate sometimes don't turn on

10. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does evrything but the lights still work? If so it may just be a bad solder joint in the lighting circuit, a flakey bulb going out or a faulty switch. Give it a few taps on top if the lights are out and see if they flicker or come on.

11. Punker

Punker New Member

Yes everything but the lights work. I went to an antique shop and I talked to the owner about my receiver and he gave me his service repair man number.

12. Punker

Punker New Member

I did and the lights do turn on

13. faber12

faber12 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some of the MCS units were made by NEC.

14. Punker

Punker New Member

Thank you

15. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like a little deoxit and some solder touch up will get you going again.
    I'd say it's definitely a great score finding a nice receiver anywhere but especially if it was going to be thrown away and you can give it some more life.
    I'd do some reading on how to clean it up. There are lots of opinions and methods. I generally use windex and then a quick detailing wax on the outside of my stuff. The inside it really depends on how dirty it is.

As far as recapping, I'd listen to it a while and see how you like it. If it's acting up you can always do some reading and go through it at a later date. Typically you'd do more than caps so a bit of reading and maybe some practice on a junky VCR from the thrift store would be in order before jumping into something you like.

16. Punker

Punker New Member

Do you think I should call the antique dealers service repair man?

17. Binkman

Binkman Addicted Member

Welcome to the abyss of audio repair. without adding a bunch of bs.. .. do you have any idea of repairing or testing experience ? I write this because the unit itself might be best left alone and traded. :D

18. Punker

Punker New Member

It does work

19. Punker

Punker New Member

this the problem I am hearing

20. Punker

Punker New Member