Dunkirk

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by sfox52, Jul 27, 2017.

1. BigElCat

BigElCat AK Subscriber Subscriber

You said it, not me.

Glory can be experienced on a personal level as well. I'm not advocating violence by any means, but it's much more palatable when one doesn't lose.

2. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

What things have become now (tones of Ike's final speech) isn't what we were then.

Sad, tragic, all of it. Let's not shut down another thread over things that we, the peasants, serfs and plebes, cannot change, except in our minds.

What was it that Will Rogers said? Something like "It's too bad that all the answers to the world's problems are in the minds of barbers and taxicab drivers" or some such.

Tried validating the above, hell, maybe I made it up. Anyway, here's a FANTASTIC link to many of the late Will Rogers' sayings.

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/will_rogers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Quadman2 likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Well-Known Member

For me, thinking on this, and what I've heard from ones who were there... glory is not an expression I've heard associated with the war... but elation, yes...elation with the knowledge that the war was over.

4. spicer

spicer Well-Known Member

Well... after you've taken the traditional route for studying human behavior the steps towards any application of conclusions will involve mass hysteria using government for propaganda backed by an arms industry to facilitate it against populations foreign and domestic with the goal of centralizing power, command and control. Success will be defined as eliminating all opposition to the enlightened class, bringing the whole of human kind into compliance with outcomes based on those academic conclusions.... and the table for the next war in this continuing line of tradition will be set.

Quadman2 likes this.
  5. BigElCat

Agreed. Sorry I used the word 'glory'.

All the 'cannon fodder' through the ages, it's not like they died for nothing. It's not as simple as just making the industrialist arm makers a load of dough.

What I was alluding to is the underlying spiritual realm. I have to back-track. My heretical theology doesn't belong on this forum.

It sets the tone for some of my humor, but it's not worth arguing about.

I enjoy corresponding with y'all.

Peace Out.

onwardjames likes this.
  6. Bosphrous

Bosphrous New Member

"He went back thirteen times before a Messerschmidt got him".

British solder, in the movie The Snow Goose, speaking of Rhayder,
    a shunned outcast/hermit, who broke his own rule by making
    contact with the outside world when he heard that the troops were
    trapped on the beaches at Dunkirk: He left his cottage on the British
    coast and got in his sailboat.

7. BigElCat

My dad had a friend who was a WW2 veteran; his name was Lester 'Shorty' Fisher.

Shorty had many stories to tell about the war. He started out in the US Army Air Corp. He flew half a dozen missions on a B-17, each of them was horrendous. I related some of his stories here on AK, and people pointed out that he was probably making the stories up, or at least embellishing them.

According to Shorty, he refused to get back into a plane. He accepted a transfer to the infantry, without realizing he would have to walk across the beach at Normandy. He hated the war, and pretty much described it as nightmare. He had stories of pride and glory as well.

I asked him which regiment he assigned to, and he said he was never attached to any particular unit, he "just went where they told him to go". He was a "cook's assistant".

One story he told was quite interesting. He was with an outfit that had seven Sherman tanks. At one point, they liberated a French village. He said they parked all seven Shermans side by side in ravine. They started shelling the village when the sun went down; the tanks would fire in a steady rhythm (as he called it), one at a time. By the time the seventh tank fired, the first one would be reloaded and fire again without missing a beat. They continued this all night, and the Germans surrendered when the sun came up. They requested to see the "automatic cannon".

I suppose he could have made the story up, but what the heck.

8. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

To put a more valid light on this thread, I came across a writer ( Calgary Prime Times Sept 4/17) who reported in detail on a WWII vet, Ken Sturdy who remembers the Dunkirk debacle and "remembers it well'.

Sturdy, now 97, was there twice in the Royal Navy as he and others tried to rescue the stranded British and Allied soldiers from the beach.

What he saw galled him. Corpses lay on the beaching a sea of blood, yet thousands of soldiers stood in formation waiting to be rescued as written up by the reporter.

"We had to rebuild our army. The German army's next move was Britain. It was a scary- one of the most alarming periods in British history", he recalls. It was called the miracle of Dunkirk. How the heck we did get away from Dunkirk and get back to England?" wonders Sturdy.

"I was there and don't have a clue how we got so many men out. Everyone huddled together on that beach. It was chaos- a chaotic madness!"

"He (Nolan) must have done a lot of research. It was very well done. To me the movie was very convincing."

One of Sturdy's friends became a POW and ended up in a Polish work camp for five years.

Eventually, Ken suffered a severe land mine wound and was sent back to England, where he eventually recovered.

His last comment in this article was: "In a small way, a small group of Nazis is still alive".

Q

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Pio1980 likes this.
  9. petemcfc

petemcfc Active Member

10. petemcfc

petemcfc Active Member

I was sent to a work related job in France,I had a 19 yr old apprentice with me.Driving back to Belgium for the ferry I saw the signs for Ypres,I pointed it out and with a blank expression asked me what Ypres was.
    I showed him the graves.

onwardjames likes this.
  11. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

But maybe he knew the Chemin des Dames.

john111/LZ likes this.
  12. onwardjames

Bravo, sir. Lest we forget the grist mill that was Ypres, and Verdun, and the Somme battles.

john111/LZ likes this.
  13. spicer

spicer Well-Known Member

Yes, bravo indeed... that kind of blank expression of ignorance assures it will happen again... God forbid.... but there it is.

14. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

For some, if it isn't trending on Facebook; It never happened.

spicer likes this.
  15. onwardjames

In the spirit of @theophile and his line above, I present Peter Finch, with a most prescient message (from 40 years ago)

BigElCat likes this.
  16. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Control of the narrative overrides truth to promote and serve the agenda.

onwardjames likes this.
  17. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Truth exists independently of all narrative. The only decision to be made is whether to reject truth or to reject narrative.

onwardjames and Pio1980 like this.
  18. owen-g

owen-g New Member

The new one.?
    I couldn't watch it . It was unbearably bad.
    Poor sequencing. Poor acting.
    Just poor. I gave up and deleted it.
    Must have picked up after I quit.