Dust Cover Haziness

punprankster

I finally found a reasonably priced (and original!) dust cover to replace my Denon DP-59's cracked dustcover. Unfortunately, when I received it I noticed that it was cloudy and remained so even after an application of Meguiar's PlastX and two of Novus #2. Anybody have any idea if this can be remedied and any suggestions on how to do it?
You can see in this photo how cloudy it is:

Dustcover.jpg

And in this photo the difference in the shade between the new one (top) and the old (bottom).

Dustcover 2.jpg

While I am at it, maybe someone can also suggest a way of fixing a scratch in the plinth's veneer. It is not really that bad but it bugs me nonetheless.

If the haze in on the surface, it can be taken out using progressively finer sanding sponges, then finishing with polish and an electric buffer. If it's in the plastic you're stuck with it.

How can you tell if the haze is in the plastic? I've used Novus #2 on the inside and the outside to no avail. I'll try finishing up with #1 to see if it will help any.

BTW onepixel what TT is that? Looks nice.
Thanks, it's a Sansei SR-838.

I considered that the actual haze may be in the plastic and not on the surface. Which is very unusual. Try buffing out one spot on both sides. If it doesn't clear, it's in the plastic. Good luck.

Not exactly answering your question but if you've had no luck restoring the dust cover to crystal clarity (I haven't either) what about having on made? I investigated sign shops and chose one nearby. Besides signs, they custom made plastic boxes for ballots and things and mine was not the first dust over they made, I just took in the old one to copy. Cost was $75 CAD but it was a very nice job. I have recently visited a turntable specialty shop and the owner happens to use that same sign business for covers he needs for restorations.

I'm not what you'd call well off financially and the cover actually cost a lot more than the turntable but I thought it was nice enough to justify the expense.

For what I'd have to spend on polishing compound and all the time it would take with likely an unsuccessful (again) outcome, I felt having a new cover fabricated was the best option. It fit perfectly, just needed to ream a couple of hinge bolt holes to a slightly larger size which took about 5 minutes. The brand new lid (which is crystal clear) makes the whole turntable look nearly brand new.

I was considering getting one of those "NOS" dust covers on the bay but I really wanted an original Denon one. I don't know. I guess I'm just anal about my stuff that way. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe if I can't get this thing to clear up I'll consider that route.

Anybody know if compounds like Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit is safe to use? I'm tempted to try that if Novus 2 on on a buffing wheel won't do the trick.

I've had really good results using Meguiar's Car Cleaner liquid wax. I have a Lab 400 that had a very hazy looking smoked dust cover when I bought it. I think it was from a build up of Amour All type protectant being used on it for 40 years. I used the Mequiar's and it completely cleared up the haze. YMMV but it worked great for me.

Some covers respond better to the PlastiX. It's probably due to different materials.

As a general rule I try not to mess with the inside of the cover unless absolutely necessary.

I always wash my dust covers first with soap and warm water. You will be surprised how must of that is just dirt. Then on to buffing it.

How can you tell if the haze is in the plastic? I've used Novus #2 on the inside and the outside to no avail. I'll try finishing up with #1 to see if it will help any.

If you look at it in bright light with a strong magnifier you should be able to tell if the haze is on the surface.

In my experience you can't be too aggressive. I have a Turtle Wax headlight restore kit that has 4 grades of sanding sponges. The most aggressive sponge is only for taking out deep scratches and turns the plastic completely white. You have to put in the work of going to finer and finer sanding then finer and finer polishes with an electric buffer. It will come out like new.

you can hide the haze, tricking it to look clear with pledge furniture polish, it really is made to give a shine to the hard clear coat on furniture, I use it after I use all the other scratch removers to polish it. Spray it inside first let set for 30 sec, wipe it off , do outside. should give the haze a wet look, should last for months. This does not fix the scratches only hides the problem.

What are you using for polishing? I had better results with an old cotton sock than with a microfiber cloth.

I did use a microfiber terry cloth to polish the cover. I really don't know how the haze came about or if it's inside or outside.
Thanks for the idea. I've got a couple of good suggestions here that I'll try next time I get to it.

I concur with onepixel's Novus statement. I've used it many times with good results. So far I've only ever used the Novus 1 and 2. The 3 is too abrasive for polycarbonate, which is what most dust covers on (you can check if they have that blueish edge). I also use a drill buffer. Not too fas though. And be careful, if there's a brand label in the center Novus 2 will buff it right off... I've done it. Cover it with painter's tape to preserve any logo plates.

Back
Top Bottom