Dust cover pushed in on AR 3

Go Giants

Hello all, I recently acquired a pair of AR 3's and one the dust covers was pushed in. I'd like to fix it if possible ... for appearance more than anything else. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Take a needle to it,put a little hook on the end and try to pull it out.There is also a way with a vacuum hose which I've never tried but it seems like one way to go.I would'nt do it full force though.

Does the woofer have foam or cloth?

There are some tricks to pull it out but it almost always retains its wrinkles.

Best bet would be to buy a new dust cap , cut off the old one and glue the new one on.

Thanks Gents. I will attempt repair using tape or the vacuum trick. If I'm not satisfied I'll buy new.

The woofers have cloth surrounds. They are in good shape, but I'm guessing they would benefit from a reseal, correct?

On an unrelated note, the mids and tweeters are giving me trouble on both speakers and one woofer is making noise. I will attempt to address the mids and tweeters with contact cleaner on the controls in the back and hope that's all they need. Outwardly all for mids and tweets look fine. I'm thinking the spider may have become detached from the basket on the woofer, but I haven't opened it up yet. Does it seem like I'm on the right track here?

I think he was asking about the dust cover, but yes, cloth surrounds need to be treated for best bass. The correct sealer is sold by eBay seller vintage-ar or AK member RoyC. You can tell if yours need it by doing the "push test" - with the speaker on its back, carefully push down on the woofer while keeping it straight so you don't scrape the VC. If it snaps right back to its rest position, the cabinets are leaky, probably through the porous woofer surround, and so the woofer isn't operating as designed. If it "oozes" back over a period of a second or more, that's when you know it's right. (comments also apply to KLH speakers as well.)

AR pots are notorious for needing to be cleaned; you may get away with Deoxit but often they need to be removed, cleaned, then lubed with dielectric grease to keep the problem from recurring, and reinstalled.

Does it seem like I'm on the right track here?
It is not unusual for the glue seals of the masonite rings that connect the spider and surround to the cast metal basket to fail and become loose, so yes, you may be onto detecting the woofer problem.

I was told by RoyC that the cloth on the AR woofers rarely need to be treated. Its the KLH ones that dry out like crazy.

These old ARs need serious work to get up and running, its not a simple squirt of anything here or there.

If you go to the classic speaker pages forum you will be able to rear the restoration guide.

Use tape, working you way up on the "sticky" ladder. I usually end up with duct tape doing the trick, but start with something less aggressive. Depends on the severity of the crease.

I was told by RoyC that the cloth on the AR woofers rarely need to be treated. Its the KLH ones that dry out like crazy.

These old ARs need serious work to get up and running, its not a simple squirt of anything here or there.

If you go to the classic speaker pages forum you will be able to rear the restoration guide.

Yes, I can see I have a project on my hands. Potentially good news on the AR surrounds, but I'll do the "push test" as N8Nagel suggested earlier. I have several vintage KLH's that i will test as well...all with cloth surrounds.

Looking forward to getting the AR3's in good shape. They are selling for crazy money on ebay. Last sale I saw was $1976.00...my jaw dropped...lol.

a set just sold for over $3K on the bay, what are the serials on yours?

That's just crazy. I will have to check serial numbers when I get home. I'm missing one the number 3 badges and the frames will need to be replaced. Looks like the fabric survived over the years though...sort of a ribbed nylon affair. For the money they are going for, I wonder if I should have them professional restored now.

So, has there always been this great interest in the AR3 or is this a recent phenomenon?

Serial numbers C68865 & C41792. Kinda weird that the numbers are that far apart. I assume someone with the knowledge of AR products can date these based on SN's. And, also whether it's odd that they're so far apart.

Serial numbers C68865 & C41792. Kinda weird that the numbers are that far apart. I assume someone with the knowledge of AR products can date these based on SN's. And, also whether it's odd that they're so far apart.
Not odd so far apart. It's pretty rare to have a set with consecutive numbers.
My first pair are 1960, my second pair are circa 1965, SN's-C44135 & 36. Yours are probably near the end of the production run around 1967.
Glenn

Another pair of AR3's for sale on ebay. They don't even look stock. New listing and already 54 bids...sheesh.

Another pair of AR3's for sale on ebay. They don't even look stock. New listing and already 54 bids...sheesh.
Very nice EXCEPT for those Effen tweeters added! Sacreligious!
I love"all original components" really??

GD70 - I wasn't really sure what those were...lol. I messaged the seller and said something like " those are not all original, the speakers appear to have been modified" . I received no response. But then again, I never asked for a response. :rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom