DVD into ProLogic receiver

WhiskeyRebel

Registered thread killer
I bought my HK receiver when DVD players were still priced above my threshold, so I did not spend the extra bucks for the then-new model with discrete 5.1 surround inputs. My DVD player (Sony) has a setup option that supposedly mixes down to Prologic encoding on the L&R outputs, but the effectiveness of this seems to vary drastically from movie to movie. What is my best option WITH THIS EQUIPMENT for getting my DVD surround to at least achieve parity with VHS ?

Dunno what options you have, but generally a basic stereo feed, like you would use for a CD player should do.

Again, remember that VHS tapes are recorded in two channel stereo and rely on the magic DPL circuitry within the receiver to extrapolate (or decode) the center and mono surround channel from the original two R/L channels.

The fact that some movies sound pretty good leads me to think that it's working properly though. The movie companies seem to be concentrating less on VHS and more on DVD for sound, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ydon't loose any sleep over the two channel soundtracks.

If movie sound is critical, it may be time to make the move to a digital receiver since prices are dropping like flies.

Back
Top Bottom