DVD Player instead of CD Player?

And let me vote for the Oppo line.

After some experimenting, Oppos are my main transport - I have two of the discontinued 980Hs (dvd) and one of the recently discontinued low end bd player.

I use them both with and without DACs. They're good either way, better with.

As always, my limits apply. I don't know, own or listen to serious high end gear so my perspective is strictly low end to low end.

s.

Silver, dedicated and high quality, second hand CDPs can be had with patience for under $100. It may take 12 mths+ of dedicated hunting but it can be done.

If you are short of a player for your CDs, and are looking for something to get by, a second hand silver DVD player for around $10 will suffice in the mean time.

Everyone will be too busy looking at your other vintage gear with their hypnotising lights to notice that the music is coming from a DVD player.:thmbsp:

No, they are slow to use and at least with cheaper models sound horrible. ........................ I then experimented with other dedicated cd players and came to the conclusion that my dvd player was utter crap, and was the cause of my audio woes.

Lesson learnt, buy a cd player instead.

You're drawing a general conclusion (all DVD players are bad CD players) from a single experience (my DVD player was a bad CD player). This is a fallacy.

My experience has been that cheap to somewhat cheap DVD players are outperformed by a dedicated CD player of equal value. Whether it's a big enough sound difference to anybody is a personal choice. Either way at $100 I'd try to find something used, from maybe around 2001 or so. It'll be new enough, have some life left, and your $100 will go farther.

I replaced an old CD player with a DVD player and the DVD was hands down better. I think it depends on the model of CD/DVD player you have. I now have an OPPO which is by far the best IMHO for under $2000. If you really don't need silver, look at used Oppo's on the bay like the Oppo Digital DV-981HD.

I have a Yamaha CDX-480 CDP, a Toshiba DVD player and a Samsung HD-841 DVD upscaling player and I can't tell any difference between them. The Samsung HD-841 is silver, and apparently there are mods for them, you might look for one of those. It's also SACD.

Interesting...I have always wondered about that. I know that my AH! NJOE TJOEB 4000 CD Player does a better job of playing Redbook CDs then my Cambridge Audio DVD89 Universal player. However when I play a Hybrid SACD (I only own one....just bought it)...the DVD89 sounds better on SACD then my Njoe playing the Redbook portion of the Hybrid disc.

I have always thought it would be nice to compare DVD players and Standalone Redbook CD players of the same price range.

In my case...the extra money I paid for the AH! NJOE TJOEB 4000 CD Player is worth it for the difference in sound (probably due to tube output) on Redbook CD...but it might not be for others...as you say personal choice.

When you get into things like tube outputs I think the differences are coming down to more than whether or not it's a dedicated CD or DVD player. I have a tubed CD player that sounds more different than another stand-alone CD player I have, than that non-tube CD player sounds different from my DVD player. And then another CD player that cost a lot more than all of those, which blows them all away by another large margin. The one thing I have never been happy with, though, was playing CDs on my two cheapest DVD players. The can play the CDs but they don't play the music, so to speak.

I'm looking for an inexpensive used (less than $100) CD player in silver finish (...)

There's always this option:

imagerequest.aspx

(You're welcome..anytime...:))

You're drawing a general conclusion (all DVD players are bad CD players) from a single experience (my DVD player was a bad CD player). This is a fallacy.

I've owned some pretty expensive DVD players and Universal players which were drubbed soundly by relatively inexpensive dedicated CD players (such as an NAD C542). For music, if you can afford it, keep them separate.

These days buying a DAC is going to be the best bet.

I've compared a 5 yr old Toshiba DVD/VCR combo, 2 year old Phillips DVD/VCR combo, and a brand new $50 Sony DVD player against my 1992 vintage lower end Sony CDP-311. All three were better with the Phillips being the best. I'm still using the CDP tho.

Alot of different experiences here. I've only compared the cheap Toshiba DVD players against the several older (90's) CDP's that I own, and the Toshiba's easily bested them. I now use the Toshiba DVD players as a transport and use a seperate DAC, a next step. Looking now for a better transport and will likely use a late 90's or early 2000's top of the line DVD player. There was alot of effort put into these units for quality transports and they will play SACD and MP3, etc. and they are affordable. Stand alone CD transports are very expensive to me for what I am getting.

I have heard some good universal players but all have one thing in common, annoyingly slow loading and fiddly controls. And no DVD transport ever made even comes close to a good Philips Swing arm CDM transport, the best CD transport ever made by man or the current CD-Pro from Philips.

Playstation is fine for video games, but not my choice for hi-fi use. Not having video processor circuitry that you can turn off degrades sonics.

All good, but where is the Original Poster in all this?

Drops a turd and runs?

Let's not be suckers to this kind of BS and move on!

Back
Top Bottom