1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Swap/trade or maybe a movie box?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by botrytis, Jan 3, 2005.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2005.
  1. A movie box? One that can be circulated.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Movie swap/trade thread

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

As stated, what does everyone prefer?

1. We could start a movie box and circulate it.

OR

2. We could start a swap/trade area for movies.

I need opionions!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Swap/Trade area yay!

3. ProAc_Fan

ProAc_Fan Addicted Member

Great idea. Or conversely, if anyone wants a specific title PM me and we can work something out.

Mike

4. botrytis

I amlos thought about a movie box - with some odd, but good movies in it. What I mean by that is, ones you normally don't see, but are still good to watch. I have a few ideas on this box - another idea thrown out there!!

Dave

5. JDaniel

JDaniel Super Member

Why not do both?

The music box idea has been pretty successful, and sort or runs itself. Ditto with the 3-comp box. Your idea of odd, but good, not so mainstream movies sounds cool.

And a trade/swap forum gets my approval too. :thmbsp:

JD

6. MannyE

Here's the way I see it...

What are we waiting for? I'm not sure I know what the movie box thingy is...can someone explain how that works?

7. botrytis

Go and look at the music box thread - it would work the same way.

Dave

8. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

Sounds good, but I don't like the box idea, mainly because of how slow it travels. Does anybody know where the Music Box is now? I think it's on it's way to Canada??? It's great when you get it, but it does take a long while to get around.

Plus movies are quite a bit more accessible via local video stores than music is. Music videos/concerts would be cool though :yes:

Maybe we could set up a forum/page where folks could post what they have to loan/swap and folks could work it out between themselves?

I dunno, just thinking out loud............

9. MannyE

Perhaps a combination of both ideas? An esoteric movie box that could include rare and difficult to obtain DVDs like Korean (for example) and other cinema, indi films, wierd stuff, etc. AND a swap area so those who want to trade Deep Impact for Pitch Black. This might ba a cool thing! Anyone?

It would also be cool to include Avia and VE in the box...so as it makes he rounds, monitors are properly calibrated!

10. botrytis

I like the idea from Manny, but I think I like it this way - a movie box which has good but esoteric movies. The person who chose the movie attaches a note with the reason why he put it in the box - doesn't have to put his name, but needs reason.

I could collect the movies, say one or two from everyone that wants to get in and then start circulating the box. After a year we could vote on the movies we deem needs a place in an AK Movie vault. After we collect so many movies - have a raflle to benifit AK with the movies as the prize.

FEEDBACK IS WANTED!!!

Dave

11. MannyE

i guess it depends on how many folks are participating... the box idea works if we only have a few around the country

I just see the box as taking a very long time to get from one pair of sweaty hands to another...maybe I'm wrong about that...which would then change my mind completely.

12. outlawmws

outlawmws On the Run

I agree with both, but instead of one movie box, why not several? maybe along genre lines? action, forign, drama, old classic, old non classic, western, war, etc? or combine several similar genres, or specifically mix dissimilar genres?

13. botrytis

The better half and I were discussing that very line - outlaw. It is possible to do, although it may get a little ungainly to keep all the boxes straight.

I need to see what the 'powers-that-be' say.

Dave

14. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Time for the music box to be split up for sure. If a DVD box comes to be it definitely need to be as well.

Grumpy

15. botrytis

Well, any more ideas before I try to get this thing together?

Dave

16. zincman

zincman Active Member

I like the cd swap trade seperate from dvd

17. MannyE

Well, considering only seven people voted on the subject, it looks like a small enough group that almost any solution would work. I do strongly suggest that if we are doing the box thing, it should at least be separated into EAST-WEST first, then any other segmentation you would like.

The EAST-WEST boxes could be switched once a year, or eventually become identical..one going up and down the left coast and the other on the right.

18. replicant_argen

replicant_argen New Member

I hate to say it, but it would seem that the best solution would be just to use netflix. A thread on great movies is always in order though. I wonder if netflix carries avia?
    Its relatively cheap, very convenient, I guess I've been a member for about 3 years or so, I like it.

19. Bill22

Bill22 New Member

i think that a movie box would be a good idea.

20. MannyE

hee hee one post a year (roughly) I don't think the movie box is ever going to happen...lol

Hell, when we first started this conversation :banana: :tresbon: :music: :boring: THESE didn't even exist yet... now the banana has a whole song and a guest appearance on Family Guy...lol