Dynaco A-25/35 or KLH Model 17...and why?

stevepaige

I am editing the original post to add my existing situation.

[orig]
Still searching for a new pair of speakers for a new to me Yamaha CR-820. Was leaning toward a pair of Polk Monitor Model 10s with the Peerless tweets but I am looking for something a little smaller.

[added]
I have been using as my primary receiver a SX-1000TW running through a pair of Boston HD9s. I was thinking that with the new CR820 I would get some new speakers for it and regulate the old pairing to office duty. Perhaps the HD9s be better suited for the Yammie and I should pick up one of the aforementioned pair for the Pioneer.

[orig]
So once again I am asking the AK community for the pros and cons of the above mentioned speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you like the monitor 10s but they're too big, what about the monitor 7s? Or are the speakers listed the only ones available to you? You can't go wrong with any of the models you mentioned; while I've owned both the KLHs and the Dyna A25s, I've never directly compared them.

If you like the monitor 10s but they're too big, what about the monitor 7s? Or are the speakers listed the only ones available to you? You can't go wrong with any of the models you mentioned; while I've owned both the KLHs and the Dyna A25s, I've never directly compared them.

There are, unfortunately, no Model 7s that I have been able to find locally. I would like to give them a listen but I am of the mind that any speaker with a good reputation deserves a good home.:music:

I like my Dynaco's.
They're lacking something in the mids that a true 3 way speaker has though
They have a nice low end, even if its a bit spongy with the rubber surround 10"
And the tweeter is pretty good for highs.
They do pretty good for the 2 way they are.

I have both the A-25s and Model Seventeens, and have directly compared them in the same room with the same amp on the same day.

The Dynacos sound better. Much more open sounding.

I agree. I had the KLH 20's (4 ohm version of the 17's) and never really got into them. The A25's, on the other hand, were really nice and more substantial sounding to my ears.

Another vote for the Dynacos. Fuller sounding, punchy and more lively sounding than the 17s/20s. In fact, I like them just about as well as I do the highly regarded KLH Six. I recently sold my Sixes as part of my effort to reduce the number of speakers in the house in preparation for downsizing; the Dynacos are still here. Full disclosure...the fact that they fit on the shelving in my workshop and the Sixes do not probably played as much of a role as relative sound quality in deciding which to keep.

I mention the Sixes because they are markedly better than the 17s (or 20s)...the same is true of the Dynacos, to my ears.

Had plenty of both models, and as partial as I am to KLH speakers from this era I'd have to go with the Dynaco's IF those were my only two choices. I like the KLH Twenty / Seventeen overall but there's this kind of harshness or bite in their high frequency range that i don't care for. Dynaco is smoother and a little more natural IMO.

Another vote for the Dynacos. Fuller sounding, punchy and more lively sounding than the 17s/20s. In fact, I like them just about as well as I do the highly regarded KLH Six. I recently sold my Sixes as part of my effort to reduce the number of speakers in the house in preparation for downsizing; the Dynacos are still here. Full disclosure...the fact that they fit on the shelving in my workshop and the Sixes do not probably played as much of a role as relative sound quality in deciding which to keep.

I mention the Sixes because they are markedly better than the 17s (or 20s)...the same is true of the Dynacos, to my ears.

Apologies for the hijack, sent some PMs your way with no response. Wasn't sure if it was a technical issue or what. Just trying to touch base! Sorry again to derail, folks. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I have both. The 17 highs are a bit sharp and short on bass. It works well with bass heavy speakers that lack top detail.
The Dynaco has less detail with a touch to much upper bass and a lot better distribution from bottom to top.
The Dynaco comes a lot closer to being a stand alone speaker. But still not ideal for sitting in front of. They make a great background music house speaker. And that's to say it has great purpose.

dynaco all day..
^^agreed^^
for what they are, and coming out of 2 year seldom used bedroom duty semi retirement and field-run the last 10 days
on a few different amps I use front of house
but they cant compare to Infinities in any category but slightly smaller size.
and with 3 top notch recessed hangar clips on the back.
Perhaps THE most hung-on-the-wall everyday speaker ever made some say.
Though away from wall they certainly sound best.
dynaco and infinity.JPG

..the ol' $20 thrift store A25's
are going back line, rear-of-room shelf with the Mission surrounds on top again.. Mission's a fine speaker too!
rear speakers.JPG
A25's have their niche places,
and nice that a small 15 watt Scott tuber will push them nicely.
scott 200b.JPG
They sound especially good with smooth Luxman amps I found, that can drive them past their modest 50 watt rating.
You would be surprised how hard you can power a Dynaco just to the edge of distortion and amps never gets warm.
And the Dynaco won't croak. or blow a driver.
Just another shout out from a Dynaco fan..

I have both. The 17 highs are a bit sharp and short on bass. It works well with bass heavy speakers that lack top detail.
The Dynaco has less detail with a touch to much upper bass and a lot better distribution from bottom to top.
The Dynaco comes a lot closer to being a stand alone speaker. But still not ideal for sitting in front of. They make a great background music house speaker. And that's to say it has great purpose.

This sums things up perfectly from my experience. :thumbsup:

So to sum up what I have read so far is that the Dynaco A25/35 is a superior speaker to the Model 17/20 with some saying that neither would be there primary speaker.

I have been using as my primary receiver a SX-1000TW running through a pair of Boston HD9s. I was thinking that with the new CR820 I would get some new speakers for it and regulate the old pairing to office duty. Perhaps the HD9s be better suited for the Yammie and I should pick up one of the aforementioned pair for the Pioneer.

I would say that the Dynacos are quite satisfactory on their own in a small to mid-sized room. Are you going to get concert-level volume out of them? Of course not. But they can definitely rock as well as just about any speaker in their class. There's a good reason why the A25 is the best selling speaker of all time

I have owned both the A25XL's and A35's
....35's just do everything a little better IMO
....less common on the market but see them occasionally
....25's can be found in plenty by comparison

I run the 35's in the living room with a Sony STR V4 Receiver.....room is a fair size and if I want to the 35's can fill it with plenty of sound!

Good luck with your decision!

I have owned both the A25XL's and A35's
....35's just do everything a little better IMO
....less common on the market but see them occasionally
....25's can be found in plenty by comparison

I run the 35's in the living room with a Sony STR V4 Receiver.....room is a fair size and if I want to the 35's can fill it with plenty of sound!

Good luck with your decision!
There was a pair of the 35s on my local CL for $125 for a couple days. When I called he had just GIVEN them to a friend. He contacted the guy to see if he would sell them to me for the 125, but the guy is going to recap them. I asked to see if he could get a post recap price but I haven't gotten an answer as of yet. :dunno:

I have both the a25 and a pair of a50s. The a50s are my basement stereo listening system with a home theater setup sitting next to it. The a25 have a nice sound and never seem to strain the amp driving them. The a50s have better bass since they have two woofers.

There was a pair of the 35s on my local CL for $125 for a couple days. When I called he had just GIVEN them to a friend. He contacted the guy to see if he would sell them to me for the 125, but the guy is going to recap them. I asked to see if he could get a post recap price but I haven't gotten an answer as of yet. :dunno:

Maybe you still will hear from him.
I've seen a couple of A35's on the market over this past year or so.

Hope you find a pair if that's where you're heading speaker wise.
Mine are re-capped too .....they really sound great for the simplicity that they are.

Back
Top Bottom