Dynaco A-25

guitarman50

A few years ago when I first got in to vintage equipment I bought a Pioneer SX828 and a pair of Dynaco A-25's. I listened to this for a bit and eventually bought different things. I put this stereo in a room with a CD player for my wife a while back as it wasn't getting used and she wanted a "Woman cave" as I had my own room. I was just up there talking to her and decided to put some music on to listen to this system as I hadn't listened to it in a while. It was surprising how nice those Dynaco's sounded. So nice and warm and very easy listening. Of course they aren't as good as my cornwalls but the match so well with the system I have them on I actually enjoyed listening to them very much. I'll have to visit that room every now and then for a listen.

theres other things you can do with the wife while your up there...a big bonus....WHAT He can learn how to crotchet with her...what were you guys thinking!?

I've had a similar experience...the A25's sat in my office unused while host of other speakers were used. Everytime I went up there and listened to FM, I was taken by just how easy they were to listen to. Recapped them and replaced the grill cloth...

They have now supplanted all of my other speakers and have been in daily use for a few months now. Just bought a tube amp to pair with them; thinking it might even get better...

Nice, always good to have at least one pair of A25's in the house. Just a very balanced natural performer.

They're great, I just picked up a mint pair about 3 weeks ago for $15.:yes:
I paired them with my ST70, and think they are gonna be hard to replace.

And when you have 2 pairs, you can stack 'em. :D I keep meaning to do that with mine as I haven't done it in awhile but I just can't bring myself to move my Norman Labs out of the way!

There are a bazillion bookshelf sized speakers out there, but somehow the magic of the Dynaco A-25 (and EPI 100) just won't go away. They really are special.

There are a bazillion bookshelf sized speakers out there, but somehow the magic of the Dynaco A-25 (and EPI 100) just won't go away. They really are special.

I concur. I also have a pair of the Genesis G10's which are the "cousin" of the EPI 100's. Dang good sounding bookshelf speakers.

I've had a similar experience...the A25's sat in my office unused while host of other speakers were used. Everytime I went up there and listened to FM, I was taken by just how easy they were to listen to. Recapped them and replaced the grill cloth...

They have now supplanted all of my other speakers and have been in daily use for a few months now. Just bought a tube amp to pair with them; thinking it might even get better...

Mine have been reclothed and the cabinet is mint. But I don't think they've been recapped. Wonder how much they'd improve recapped?

And when you have 2 pairs, you can stack 'em. :D I keep meaning to do that with mine as I haven't done it in awhile but I just can't bring myself to move my Norman Labs out of the way!

Since the Dynaco A-25's are fairly plentiful and cheap I thought about picking up another pair to have 2 pair connected to the SX828 but first I'm going to have to find another pair of those stupid speaker connectors on the receiver.

Mine have been reclothed and the cabinet is mint. But I don't think they've been recapped. Wonder how much they'd improve recapped?

Mine got noticably better though I think the updated binding posts I added also added to the improvement. I added reinforcement to woofer screws too.

I recapped mine a while back and was skeptical about a recap actually making a noticeable improvement in the sound. Well, I'm a believer now. I recapped a few pairs of vintage speakers after I did my A25s.
The hardest part is getting the woofer out. It's cemented in with something that holds pretty well. Just carefully pry around it and it will come out.
I haven't tried new binding posts. Anything would have to be easier to use than what came on the speakers from the factory.
Have fun with 'em!
Mike

+++ On the A25's:music::music: I set them aside awhile back but recently moved into a two bedroom townhouse away from a three bedroom apartment,Same square footage but that extra room housed an additional audio setup. Pulled them out and paired it with a Pioneer SA8500 and haven't looked back:banana: They are indeed magical:music: To my ears:D

Here's what I did:

IMGP9167.jpg

IMGP9136.jpg

IMGP9130.jpg

Dynaco A25s on an HK 430 Twin Power. It doesn't get much better than that. They really sing!

Enjoy!

Pardon my stupidity. But the "reason" for the clips above..? Gluing?

cnh2

OK... you guys are making me drool. I have considered the A25's on several occasions but have balked each time. Comparison time for those who might know...

I have KLH6's and KEF 104aB's- similar to the Dynacos.

A25 vs KLH6 ??

and

A25 vs KEF 104aB's ??

Thanks,
Tyler

OK... you guys are making me drool. I have considered the A25's on several occasions but have balked each time. Comparison time for those who might know...

I have KLH6's and KEF 104aB's- similar to the Dynacos.

A25 vs KLH6 ??

and

A25 vs KEF 104aB's ??

Thanks,
Tyler

I've never heard the Kefs, but I've owned the Dynaco A-25XL and KLH Model 6. To my way of thinking, the KLH is a significant step upward mainly because it makes excellent bass and the Dynaco doesn't. The Dynacos have excellent midrange tone and power, but so does the model 6. The dynacos image a bit better because of the dome tweeter, but the KLH tweeter is smoother. No contest in my book... KLH Model 6 all the way.

adding 2 cents about these crowd favorites.
the x-over is rather easily knocked loose from the back.
staples can be cut or pulled, all cap work done, and glued back into place
dreaded woofer removal not necessary

Back
Top Bottom