Dynaco A25 surrounds.

brad44

Pulled my old Dynaco A25's out of the closet. I had forgotten that they have rubber surrounds, they seem to be in good shape too.

Are rubber surrounds original on this woofer?

Im going to have the woofer off for recap, is there any preventive benefit in refoaming these?

How do I find manufacture date?

The originals are rubber and should last for a lifetime. I suggest leaving them alone. I have 2 pair of A25XLs from 1976 that are still in "as new" condition. The tweeter generally has a date on it.

thanks Wayne.

The woofer sure are flimsy looking on these, no heavy weight magnet. They are labelled "scandanavia" does that sound like original stuff?

There are a couple of drivers that were used during the production years. Scan Speak at first, then SEAS (of Norway) later on (and the most common). I believe the "Scandinavia" label is actually a Scan Speak brand but I don't know that for sure.....

They should have a lightweight magnet. It's there for High Q ( resonnance frequency of the woofer )
And it's an AlNiCo magnet.
I'm not saying it, I've only heard it thru the grapevines.

Comparing what you have to the hundreds (or more) of pictures of the Dynaco A25 on the web will help you come to grips with the exactly what you have, or you can post pics here and get those that know to tell you what you have. As much as you have said about the speaker, there isn't anything that leads me to believe you don't have real A25s with original parts.

thanks Wayne.

The woofer sure are flimsy looking on these, no heavy weight magnet. They are labelled "scandanavia" does that sound like original stuff?
that's the way drivers and speakers were designed way back when in the late 60's. Ferrite magnets, which were much heavier, didn't come into much play till the mid-late 70's, and large Alnico magnets were expensive and rarely used except by JBL.

I have several A25 speakers and I don't even know how they sound, found them at a garage sale a few years ago. Yes, rubber surrounds and not an impressive looking mag but you can't judge a speaker by the mag size. I have some small Altec speakers from the early 60s that look so wimpy that I almost threw them away. After hauling them around for a couple of decades and finally getting a house, I hooked them up and couldn't believe the sound that came out of those ugly old cabs, they sound better with the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom