Dynaco A25's vs. KLK Model 5's

blau

Alright guys! I need help with a dilemma. I’ve been listening to a pair of recapped Dynaco A25’s for a couple years now and have been quite happy with them. The other day a pair or KLH Model 5’s came up for a deal I couldn’t refuse. I really only have space for one or the other and I can’t decide which to keep. I know it’s sort of apples to oranges since the A25’s are two way and the Model 5’s are three way. My impression from about 10 minutes of listening is that the A25’s have more detail in the mids (ironically) but the Model 5’s produce a more “open” sound stage. I haven’t done any work on the KLH’s (ie recap, rewire, deoxit the contacts, etc) so that’s why I thought I’d reach out for some thoughts from people that know what they should sound like. Right now my system consists of a Technics SL-1200 MKII (with rewired tonearm), a Bellari VP129, and a pair of Dynaco MKIV’s. I’m mostly listening to indie rock and folk with a little jazz and classical. Any thoughts would be welcome! Thanks!

I just found a pair of KLH 5's (someone was throwing them out!) and haven't really sat down to take a good listen since I'm about to start the process of restoring them. So I can't offer much insight, but you may want to take a look at what was said about them in the thread I started a while ago. I believe some people gave their impressions.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=513621

Recap those KLH Fives (not a hard job) and then give them a close listen. I think they do a lot of things beautifully, with only the very top end rolled off a bit. I don't have A25s to compare them with, but the Fives are well worth restoring and listening to.

If there's anything I don't need it's another pair of speakers but I've heard so much about the KLHs that I may start looking. Dynaco 25 or 35 too. I don't have a WAF so I can do anything I'm big enough to:D

I wish they'd made caps as plug and play! I'm going out in the kitchen and see how my brownies turned out!

Last edited:
Well it looks like the consensus is refurb the Model 5's and listen for myself. I pulled the crossover from one side and added up the cost of capacitors. It came out to $70. Looks like I'm going to have to sell some gear I'm not using. I also inspected the surround on the woofer while I had it out by looking at a light through it. It looks like untreated fabric which means it's probably leaking air like a sieve. I'll have to reseal them. I'll let you know what happens.

Well it looks like the consensus is refurb the Model 5's and listen for myself. I pulled the crossover from one side and added up the cost of capacitors. It came out to $70. Looks like I'm going to have to sell some gear I'm not using. I also inspected the surround on the woofer while I had it out by looking at a light through it. It looks like untreated fabric which means it's probably leaking air like a sieve. I'll have to reseal them. I'll let you know what happens.

I may be wrong, but that seems pretty expensive just for caps. A few other's may chime in regarding what it cost them for caps.
The sealer is about 15 bucks though.

There is a thread or two comparing the KLH Model 6's and the A25's. Hand's down the Model 6's were the preference from those who had heard both. I have 6's and 5's, both recapped. The 5's go deeper than the 6's and also have a more open midrange. Recap the 5's then compare again. The mid's and tweets will sound much better after.:thmbsp:

I recapped my 5's with daytons from parts express for around 40.00 total. Vintage AR on ebay has the correct surround sealer. I advise not to try anything else. Just my .02.:yes:

You must have order some very high end caps, cause I recap my ADS L1230 for $50 bucks and there were a total of 10 caps.

Personally I'd keep them both. A-25's aren't all that big, maybe stash them in a closet somewhere to use another day or with another system. Better yet, maybe use the KLH Model Fives as the main speakers and keep the Dynacos hooked up for use in another room if your amp has provisions for another set of speakers.

Having owned both I prefer the KLH Model Fives, all things considered. Oh, and $70 seems kinda steep for the caps. I used Dayton Polypro caps for my Fives and it wasn't nearly that much IIRC (of course that was a few years ago).

Last edited:
Did you measure the caps? Why replace them if they are within specification. Lots of money, fixing things that may not be broke, just because it's the popular thing to do.

Many DMMs have capacitance capabilities. You have to remove one end of the cap to measure, that is the easy part.

Wayner

Did you measure the caps? Why replace them if they are within specification. Lots of money, fixing things that may not be broke, just because it's the popular thing to do.

Many DMMs have capacitance capabilities. You have to remove one end of the cap to measure, that is the easy part.

Wayner

While I too am not a "replace everything" person, the caps in older KLH speakers are very prone to failure. If they're not dead yet, they will be soon. One big sign is that the tweeters stop working. Usually the drivers are fine (test them!) and recapping is all that's needed.

Wayner

Ordinarily I'd agree, but Cross Street era KLH speakers are the exception. The caps that KLH used back then are extremely prone to value drifting and outright failure. Any KLH speaker from this era should get a mandatory cap change because of the very poor quality caps originally used.

OK. I have the Dynaco A25Xls with original caps. Works great. I guess if the KLHs have a history, then so be it.

Never owned a pair of KLH, but did have a set of Advent Model 3's that Henry designed.

Wayner

replacing 40 year old caps is a no brainer. elaectrolitic caps were designed for around 15 years of service. polys on the other hand have a much longer service life. I replace the caps on all my vintage speakers including my model 17's. I use dayton poly's and they sound great the expense should be reasonable.

I going through the same dilemma, I've been a/b'ing my A25 vs my model 5 and I find the A25 very good but the Model 5 can do more. I like the lower extention of the Model 5, I like the openness and airyness in the mids. I just find more detail all around over the A25. That said, I'm still keeping both :-D

Checking caps to see if they are bad is a no-brainer. I have 40 year old Marantz equipment that has never been serviced, and they work fine. Wholesale changes to components with out checking values is just plain wrong.

Wayner

Both are quite enjoyable but the 5 has more frequency extension at both ends when restored and when sealed up properly it's bass performance is on par with the mighty AR3a.

Wow! This thread blew up over the weekend! It looks like the prices have changed a little since the original post. I priced out caps on Parts Express and on Madisound. Madisound had Solens. They come out to $63.83 with shipping. Parts Express has Dayton DMPC's which come out to $49.98 with shipping but they are out of stock on the 3um until the end of May so I'd have to go with the PMPC's and they come out to over $80 just for the caps. If anyone has other sources to recommend I'd appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom