Dynaco chassis compatibility?

nj pheonix

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Not sure where this one neatly fits in.
The question. A lot aftermarket kits are available for Dyna pas2/3 using all stock mounting points. If you were going to do a wholesale gut, if dimensions were the same , it seems a Pat donor unit might (likely) be a cheaper starting point. Does anybody know whether chassis (layout?) dimensions are the same (similar)?

I think the internal board layout in the PAT is different. All the pics I've seen of the PAT have two boards standing vertical inside, vs the PAS which has two mounted flat through cutouts in the chassis.

Honestly, JMO, but if you're planning to completely gut it, why stick with the stock chassis at all? They're honestly not that amazing. The metal is thin and most of them end up with a bunch of dead controls on the front panel. May as well just start with a blank chassis of better quality and put just the controls and such that you actually need on it.

I think the internal board layout in the PAT is different. All the pics I've seen of the PAT have two boards standing vertical inside, vs the PAS which has two mounted flat through cutouts in the chassis.

Honestly, JMO, but if you're planning to completely gut it, why stick with the stock chassis at all? They're honestly not that amazing. The metal is thin and most of them end up with a bunch of dead controls on the front panel. May as well just start with a blank chassis of better quality and put just the controls and such that you actually need on it.

Good idea, just exploring options.
Planning on doing a stock pas.
Maybe down the road one of the supposed upgrades.
Right now pas inbound and 3rd in queue on the bench and I'm not too prolific so definitely a back burner maybe (eventually kind of thing)
I haven't looked. Any good chassis sources come to mind?
Again in the window shopping fantasy phase, but always nice to have options.
Thanks

I got my reproduction PAS chassis and cover from Dynakit. They also have a few custom faceplates. If you dont see a faceplate you want FM3Zone will have one made to your perwonal specs.

Tubesnervana has stock reporoduction boards, Z-Mod boards along with Aikido boards. And three different power supplies.

Yeah ,
I think i read their whole site a couple of times through. Part of my motivation for thinking about this .
Based on AR, when used with amps that load properly the stock 3 appears to have very respectable performance. Being how i have redone MK3s already and a 70 about to get put back together, i felt the urge to see what they were supposed to sound like (dynaco family)( i hope i don't have to fight off the urge to get a 35.).(think Rich (NJ Canuck's build)
If you read TNs copy they become worlds better. Then again if you read all the st70 upgrade driver boards they become worlds better too.
If you read the base line 70 article or the AR article, the truth is they were very good to begin with.
If you upgraded either and you're happy, that's great!.
I was planning on leaving both stock (as far as design for the most part).
My mind's eye was thinking an aikido (seperate build, not gutting the three) which is how my mind wandered to the 4 chassis.
Trying not to accumulate too many things (unsucessfully). I'll have to see how this all evolves. :idea:
PS i don't see that chassis listed anymore. I suspect its discontinued.
Maybe Hammond

Hear was my thinking, I wanted all new. I didnt want to have to dig around in an old preamp or amp. I know my VTA ST70 isn't really a Dynaco, nor is my preamp or phono stage. If you want to go with new better made boards that are clones of the original, thats fine. But there were compromises made to sell at a price point. Since I was going to need a chassis for the line stage and phono I went with a new PAS chassis and it matches the FM3 I restored. And there are so many boards to choose from that fit the PAS chassis. I went with the PH10 phono board thats the same as the tubes4hifi PH10, just on a smaller board to fit the PAS chassis. Also I wanted to try the Aikido line stage, and I do like it. But the Aikido does have more gain than is needed for the Dynaco or tubes4hifi amplifiers. I added the volume control kit to my amp to lower the gain. Plus, depending on what tou want for controls there are plenty of options for face plates. I also bought the dual transformer regulated power supply with thermistor. The thing is dead quiet. I just couldn't see paying a bunch for an original PAS just to gut it and turn it into something else that I wanted. Its size was what I was looking for too. Smallish and compact.

I had a VTA ST120 for several years, also an SP13 with a PH12,
I sometimes wonder whether i wander in circles.
I suspect the 70 and 120 present similarly though have no 1st hand experience.
Sounds like a nice set up!

Thanks,Im pretty happy with it. Ive had fun rolling tubes. It took a bit but I found a combination that I really like.

Back
Top Bottom