Dynaco FM-3 Tube Tuners....quality,sound,value...opinions?

pappylon

These seem to be available quite often.
Anyone have any experience using one?
Would it be a decent entry level tube tuner?

s-l1600.jpg

I have had a couple and I love them. I have replaced the multi section cap and a few resistors in the current one in my possession. I personally aligned the first i had (first and only time I did an alignment), pretty easy, the second one seems spot on with great separation. They are very simple to use, not very much to them, so yes a good entry tube tuner. They sound very, very nice. I think having original tubes may have a part in the sound, a couple nice Telefunkens in there. No muting, so tuning involves static between stations of course if that bothers you. For the price they go for, they are a bargain.

I've bought two and restored one. I like them. They have good sensitivity, not the greatest, but good. An outdoor antenna made a huge difference. They don't have the greatest channel separation, but the sound is nice. I have four other tuners and the FM-3 gets the most use. I went overboard with mine, replacing every resistor and capacitor along with replacement made PEC's and an upgraded power supply board.

Back
Top Bottom