dynaco fm3

radioactive

tube gear fanatic
Subscriber
heres a cheap fm3 for someone to fix up.id grab it myself but shipping is to the us only.original tubes also.could be worth the price if theyre telefunken.
dynaco fm3 $30

Only decent tube tuner that can be alligned by the owner using only a set of the tuner tools from Radio Shack (come in their own Nerd Bucket!) and the ears on your head.
I like the sound and if you compare the cost of getting another tuner or recievers FM section alligned they truly are the best bargain in a tubed tuner.

I got mine for 24.99 + shipping on Ebay. The seller had listed it as a dyna tuner and it wound up being missed by all the usual suspects ( except me :D ).

They are an exceptionally nice tuner.

I recently did a BIN for one. With shipping it came to a little less than $16. It should be here tomorrow.

I am thinking about getting one to match my Stereo 70 and PAS3. I hope I can strike a good deal. I love the nifty flourescent "magic eye" display!

Ski, keep us updated on your FM3 purchase and tell us how it sounds!

Regards,
crooner

Yup one of the deals left to be had in vintage tube audio ! Glad you guy's are having some luck.

Craig

Well it arrived safe and sound. It sounds pretty good considering I have a 2' piece of speaker wire for an antenna. Unfortunately it is making a pretty loud humming noise and gets mighty warm to the touch too. Maybe someday I'll poke around in it a little. Unfortunately poking is all I know how to do.

Time for a new filter capacitor, I wouldn't use it till it is replaced, could vent - explode - or eat the power transformer.

Thanks for the heads up. Any idea on a replacement. Like I said I can poke around (and even solder), but as far as knowing which one it is or where to find one I'm pretty clueless.

Antique Electronic Supply (AES) www.tubesandmore.com has a 50x50x50x50uF at 350V that is 2.5" tall, this should fit the FM3 and look just like the original. The extra capacitence will not be a problem (original was 40x40x20x20) and should help with humm levels.
Part number is C-EC50x4-350

Sheldon Stokes has a couple of circuit boards for the FM3 -- replacement for the multi section capacitor and an upgrade for some part of the circuit. I've forgotten what his website is called, but google should help.

Once you get the filter cap changed, the FM3 should be working nicely. I am so impressed with Dynaco gear. I mean, they are not expensive and perform on such a level. And the tuner you can even align yourself with no test instruments!

I already have a McIntosh MR67 in original condition, but the little FM3 is one tuner I want to have in my collection.

Regards,
crooner

Last edited:
I have a couple of these and they're pretty nice. I like that they're compact, unlike other tuners I've owned that had a big footprint but were 99% air.
The schem and alignment instructions are here:
http://www.triodeel.com/schindex.htm
Scroll down to Dynaco and download the pages you need.

Back
Top Bottom