Dynaco FM5 tuner opinions

rshep

Working my way to 1000 posts
I've always thought the FM5 would be a cool tuner to own being a Dynaco/Halfer fan. It would fit right in with my PAS3 and DH200 amp. I'd like to hear from anyone who might have experience with one.

How does it compare to other vintage tuners?

I would be using it to occasionally listen to our local NPR station that plays Jazz in the evenings. Your opinion would be appreciated.

I'm sure there are many vintage tuners which are adequate. I have both the FM-5 and FM-3, and just recently started to evaluate the FM-3 performance. It does have a soothing "tube" sound, but as others have said it's not the best tuner around for performance. Mine needed a good cleaning, and so far I would say it's running at 80%. It drifts just a hair until it's run for an hour or more.
I also have a FM-5, which due to an equipment switch-out, I hooked up last nite to a SCA-80Q Dynaco into KLH 6s, and I listened to a few hours with a simple dipole. Pulls in stations very well, stayed on-station and I enjoyed Echoes, Hearts of Space, and then two more hour-long programs, same station, and nary a hiccup. I thought the sound was excellent, I did notice a tad more high end, maybe shrillness, after a couple hours, so I adjusted the amp and all was well.

For limited listening I suggest the FM-5. They're inexpensive, and work very well. I jumped from the FM-5 to the FM-3 when I picked on up in a package, so I never gave the 5 a decent run, but if I had, the 3 would just be on the sideboard because the 5 is just plain nice to use!

My FM5 did develop a problem after extended use. It was a very fine sounding unit while it did work. I no longer remember the symptoms of the issue nor how long I used it before it went south. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Sounds like the FM3 might be better sound-wise but I like the looks of the slider tuning of the FM5. It seems that the audio quality of the FM5 can be good or strident in the highs. In the past I would set my 10.5" Teac on a timer and record the FM Jazz after I feel asleep. If the FM3 has a drift issue (I recall that from other tube tuners at times) perhaps the FM5 would be a better choice. At least its not expensive, I think I'll look for one an maybe post at WTB in Barter Town. I'd like to hear more experiences, especially around the FM5 sound quality. I'd also be curious if the FM3 drift is a common issue.

I used an AF-6, which is nothing more than an FM-5 with an added AM tuner, when I was in college and for years after. As long as the broadcast quality was good, the tuner never seemed strident to me, and it was a champ at fringe-area reception. The two FM-5s that I picked up years later also sounded good to me. One thing I noticed is that the audio circuit has several unbypassed electrolytic capacitors in the signal path. You might get better sound for not much money if you bypassed each of these with a quality film capacitor. Three of these caps are associated with the MC1307P multiplex decoder chip, one at the input (composite signal) and one each at the left and right channel outputs. Two of these caps failed open on one of my FM-5s, leaving me with a tuner that appeared to tune normally but had no audio output. I found and replaced the open cap in the composite signal line first, which restored one channel, and replaced both of the remaining two on the theory that the cap that wasn't open yet was probably close to failure.

I just pi ked up a fm3 to rebuild. Plenty of better replacement mods like the updated PS and PEC's. Channel seperation isnt the best but it picks up stations well and it just sounds nice. ill be adding it to my modded PAS pre and st-70 amp. I also have a PAS4 pre to go through and will be looking for a fm5 for it.

I have no drift with my FM-3. To my ears it sounds as good as my Rotel RT-990BX. The FM-3 actually picks up a reasonable signal without an antenna for local stations, the Rotel doesn't.

Built an FM5 kit years ago. Had it set up by the tech team at the dealer I bought it from. Other than a failed on/off switch (I just wired it to be on all the time and plugged it into the switched outlet on the PAT 4) it was fine until the day I sold it last year. As has been said, they are cheap and do a good job for the money. As with all Dynaco stuff, the problems are in the switchgear and the FM5 is not immune.

Our advertiser Van Alstine has a modified FM-5 for $295: "Unfortunately there are no remaining repair parts available for this wonderful tuner, so it must be sold "as is" with no warranty." There are plenty of stock ones on Ebay. Unlike most Dynacos the FM-5 does include a "black box" undocumented circuit.

The FM-3 was my gateway drug into tube tuners. It can sound very pleasant but it is subject to SCA noise (KJZZ) or IBOC noise (KBAQ). Lots of mods and parts are available. A Sherwood 3000 is a nice tube alternative with slide-rule dial.

I received a Dyna FM5 today and so far I'm pleased. The dial pointer fell off its sled during shipping but I figured out how it goes back on and got that sorted out without much trouble. The tuner is very sensitive and has nice flywheel action. The meter seems to either read pegged with a good signal or in the middle with low or no signal. Sound quality is good, solid bass and pleasant sounding upper end.

The background bezel around the meter and dial "glass" positioning seem a little cheap. However overall It nicely compliments my PAS3. More to come but I'm liking it so far especially considering it was a little over half a c-note including shipping. I'll update again once I get some more listening time in.

I have never heard an FM5 but I really like my FM3. No drift and pulls in stations well. I have read that the FM5 can sound a bit 'tinny' and 'solid state' like. :dunno:
YMMV.

Last edited:
I have never heard an FM5 but I really like my FM3. No drift and pulls in stations well. I have read that the FM5 can sound a bit 'tinny' and 'solid state' like. :dunno:
YMMV.

The FM5 is definitely different then the FM3. The frequency response extends up to the treble flatter then the FM3 did. That can make those who like the somewhat "laid back" sound quality of the FM3 (the rolloff of the highs that tuner exhibits) comment that the FM5 seems bright or tinny. It really is all about what you like. Objectively, the audio response of the FM5 is flatter to a higher frequency then the FM3. Having said that, I can tell you that neither tuner is a poor performer when in proper operating condition.

Shelly.

@shelly_d I haven't looked closely at the schematic on my fm3 yet, but will when the parts I ordered get here. Did they just roll off the high end or is it blended to minimize noise?

I think is was more a consequence of circuit and parts available at the time then a deliberate decision. I have not studied the schematic either, I have just listened to both and noticed a flatter (if you will) top end on the FM5. Sorry I can't be more help here.

I'm going to bring Lavane's comment over as posted in the other refurbibg a FM-3 thread.

I havant had a tube tuner yet that didnt drift until it was good and warmed up

This I have found is true, and after a warm-up period of more than a half-hour or more, my FM-3 seems pretty stable on tune! However, I also have a 4 element Yagi antenna now, but only used it for a week or so, then I moved everything around in the office and haven't rerouted the 75 ohm cable yet

I'm going to bring Lavane's comment over as posted in the other refurbibg a FM-3 thread.

This I have found is true, and after a warm-up period of more than a half-hour or more, my FM-3 seems pretty stable on tune! However, I also have a 4 element Yagi antenna now, but only used it for a week or so, then I moved everything around in the office and haven't rerouted the 75 ohm cable yet

As another anecdotal data point (no more & no less), my MR-67 doesn't drift, nor does the Sherwood S-3000V whose place it has taken.

I used an AF-6, which is nothing more than an FM-5 with an added AM tuner, when I was in college and for years after. As long as the broadcast quality was good, the tuner never seemed strident to me, and it was a champ at fringe-area reception. The two FM-5s that I picked up years later also sounded good to me. One thing I noticed is that the audio circuit has several unbypassed electrolytic capacitors in the signal path. You might get better sound for not much money if you bypassed each of these with a quality film capacitor. Three of these caps are associated with the MC1307P multiplex decoder chip, one at the input (composite signal) and one each at the left and right channel outputs. Two of these caps failed open on one of my FM-5s, leaving me with a tuner that appeared to tune normally but had no audio output. I found and replaced the open cap in the composite signal line first, which restored one channel, and replaced both of the remaining two on the theory that the cap that wasn't open yet was probably close to failure.

Hold on to your Dynaco FM-5 or AF-6. Updatemydynaco.com and ME are working on a kit right now to improve your tuner. When it comes out I don't now. Development has just started. Personally I will also replace all caps that are not in the kit. I heard the AM section was never aligned so I will do the alignment with out the manual...it is shown in manual how to do it. If no multiplex chip is included I am changing mine to MC1310 . Old one had a 0.5% distortion, new chip is 0.3% distortion.

I've been using a FM-5 for years in my workshop. I never felt a need to use anything else.

In the context of this thread:
I have a very pragmatic FM-5/AF-6 question.
Is there a straightforward way to gain access to the variable tuning capacitor gangs in these tuners?
The AM section of my AF-6 is wonky, which I suspect is related to the contacts in at least one section of the AM variable gangs -- I've twice popped the top to tackle this, and been demotivated by all of the stuff atop the shield (and the soldered-on shield itself).

Anyone popped the top on the tuning section and/or have photos to share? :)

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom