Dynaco MKIII high B+

At this point, I would suggest that you remove these units from service until they are diagnosed and repaired. You will be taking an unnecessary risk if you continue running them as-is.

Yes, just hurting the tubes!

Could be bad connections at tube sockets causing bias problem also.

Is it the same socket red plating?

Voltages before and after choke (@ 30uf & 40uf lug of filter cap) are 544vdc and 538vdc.

The red plating goes away when bias is turned down to 1.0 v

Why not take another approach :
Turn down the variac while reading the B+ until B+ is correct value AND bias 1.56V ( will need some
back and force adjustments as bias will affect B+)

When B+ AND bias is correct, measure the output of the variac using AC scale (ignore the
voltmeter on the variac)

What is the result now ?

You can pull the plug out a little and measure the blades or put one probe on the fuse holder and the other on the power switch of the MKIII. With normal B+ and normal 1.56VDC the tubes idle at 140ma which is approx. 33 Watts per tube. So now to get that same 33 Watts of idle dissipation with the high B+ you can't be setting the cathode voltage at the original 1.56VDC. Break out the calculator and do some math, P = V x I. Normal B+ is, according the manual picture, is 475VDC, the normal idle current is 1.56VDC / 11.2 Ohms or 140ma, 475VDC x 70ma = 33 Watts.

Craig

Those amps are a fine example of why Horsepower Race amps are not ideal to live with. Their B+ is on the ragged edge of what the tubes will handle. They would do fine with an upright end bell PA060 power iron.

My first tube amps were Mk.iii's. While they work, the B+ should be lower.
cheers,
Douglas

You could sub a 5V4 to drop the voltage, but at full output you'd probably be asking more of the rectifier than it wishes to give.

With hi-voltage amps you really need separate bias adjustments for each 6550 to ensure correct current draw for each tube. That would also include a 1 or 10 ohm resistor on pin 8 (to grd.)of output sockets for measuring tube current draw. Dyna's idea of sharing a cathode resistor is not good with modern tubes. Find a friend to install a new bias circuit.

if the tubes are purchased as a properly matched pair, the stock adjustments work OK. better methods exist of course but you certainly can run modern tubes with the stock design without problems. None of that will cause high voltages though. Normal current at too much voltage makes for excessive plate dissipation. Poorly matched tubes will have different annoying problems but both tubes won't red plate from it.

You could sub a 5V4 to drop the voltage, but at full output you'd probably be asking more of the rectifier than it wishes to give.

The Dyna Mk II (with the same power transformer) used the 5U4GB rectifier tube. That, in place of the 5AR4, would reduce the B+ by at least 30-40v DC or so.

It's not a delayed-startup, indirectly-heated tube like the 5AR4, but it worked fine in the Mk II, with EL34 tubes (which are less rugged than KT88s)...

Regards,
Gordon.

if the trafo will handle the load, thats a good option. I didn't want to suggest it for fear of overloading the heater winding. 5U4GB's are cheap too.

Good idea. Where do I measure output of variac?
Inside the MkIII or by using a second outlet of the variac or extension. It's importent to measure
the output of the variac with the MkIII connected and powered on to get correct readings.

Gordon, on the 5U4 there is but one issue; that tube conducts very much quicker than the IDH load and the filter caps will run to root2*rms secondary unloaded voltage...which is significantly higher than the filter caps are happy with.
cheers,
Douglas

Yes same side of plate is red. Will clean sockets and

Turn down the variac while reading the B+ until B+ is correct value AND bias 1.56V ( will need some
back and force adjustments as bias will affect B+)

When B+ AND bias is correct, measure the output of the variac using AC scale (ignore the
voltmeter on the variac) -Peterh

I asked the if it's a tube in the same socket redplating in post #26 and the question has been asked twice since, but we still don't know anything exact on that very important point!

You may be best to replace all the tube sockets & don't use ceramic as they are usually poorly made imports and they conduct vibration.

Dynakit sells some nice composite ones and use the premium ones.

Gordon, on the 5U4 there is but one issue; that tube conducts very much quicker than the IDH load and the filter caps will run to root2*rms secondary unloaded voltage...which is significantly higher than the filter caps are happy with.
cheers,
Douglas

Yeah, but Dynaco built a LOT of Mk II amps just like that. And they didn't seem to have an inordinate amount of cap problems.

I usually use 600v caps (under the chassis) for the first two stages when rebuilding these- that takes care of the problem in any case.

Adding a CL80 or equivalent inrush limiter to the primary circuit, will also help damp that voltage spike as well, a bit... it's a small amount, but it will help.

Regards,
Gordon.

if the trafo will handle the load, thats a good option. I didn't want to suggest it for fear of overloading the heater winding. 5U4GB's are cheap too.

The Mk II came with the 5U4- with the same power transformer. So, it's rated to handle the extra rectifier heater current.

Regards,
Gordon.

If the issue seems to be following the socket, I would want to measure actual pin 5 voltage. clip leads to the socket from beneath, and put the meter between them. Positive lead to the suspect. You should see 0 volts between the two. If not...there are now capacitors to suspect of causing problems.
cheers,
Douglas

Back
Top Bottom