Dynaco SCA-35 Upgrade

Rossmosis

Hey all, I’m currently running a Dynaco SCA-35 into a pair of Pioneer HPM-60’s in my small listening space. Looking for some opinions on a few upgrade options:

1) Doing the SCA-35 Power Board mod (cheapest)

2) Giving a new Rega Brio a try

3) Wait to find a Fisher tube amp for a not-too-crazy price

I think I might be a tube guy since other SS amps I’ve owned seemed lacking to me but the Brio seems like it could be a good, reliable option. Open to any & all suggestions, definitely trying to keep costs under $1000. Thanks!

There is dynaco sca-35 for sell in my area. Tell me about your experience with yours. I'm considering getting into tube even though I am a newbie in all this. Suppose to be completely refurbished and ready for action. Thanks for any info

There is dynaco sca-35 for sell in my area. Tell me about your experience with yours. I'm considering getting into tube even though I am a newbie in all this. Suppose to be completely refurbished and ready for action. Thanks for any info

They really sound great. When I got mine it was also refurbished. I subsequently upgraded the power supply and output boards (replaces the no longer made 7199 pre amp tube with a 6GH8A or 6U8A which are cheap and and easy to source). That is how much I like mine. See here for mods: http://tronola.com/html/daves_store.html
No affiliation.

With any low watt tube amp you will need efficient speakers if you want it to get extremely loud. For example the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers. I use Klipsch Heresy with mine.

I would be running to pick this up as it is a great intro to tubes.

Last edited:
Hey all, I’m currently running a Dynaco SCA-35 into a pair of Pioneer HPM-60’s in my small listening space. Looking for some opinions on a few upgrade options:

1) Doing the SCA-35 Power Board mod (cheapest)

2) Giving a new Rega Brio a try

3) Wait to find a Fisher tube amp for a not-too-crazy price

I think I might be a tube guy since other SS amps I’ve owned seemed lacking to me but the Brio seems like it could be a good, reliable option. Open to any & all suggestions, definitely trying to keep costs under $1000. Thanks!

I am listening to a Fisher 400 right now and it is an amazing receiver. However, while your waiting for a Fisher amp at good price I would do the Power Board mod. Like you said it is cheap and brings the SCA-35 to its best sound.

Scott amps are also a great option and can be had refurbished for under $1,000.

Well, for the sca35 I'd already be dropping a big dime on it. Maybe the upgrades later cause the the guy said ready to go now. I suppose 7199's last a while so that would give me a long time until I had to do that kind of work on it. Maybe just take the plunge to what I really want instead of step after step. Not a collector or like extra stuff around or to deal with, (it's a pain selling stuff off) so I may just jump, a little bit apprehensive though. Thanks

They really sound great. When I got mine it was also refurbished. I subsequently upgraded the power supply and output boards (replaces the no longer made 7199 pre amp tube with a 6GH8A or 6U8A which are cheap and and easy to source). That is how much I like mine. See here for mods: http://tronola.com/html/daves_store.html
No affiliation.

With any low watt tube amp you will need efficient speakers if you want it to get extremely loud. For example the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers. I use Klipsch Heresy with mine.

I would be running to pick this up as it is a great intro to tubes.
Oh yeah, I've got yamaha ns-670's, 40 watters and 96db efficiency, so should be okay with the dynaco.

I had the SCA-35 and it was a great sounding unit. I had it retubed and adjusted by Gold Aero and it really sounded great on my AR4x speakers. The only problem was transformer hum which was generated through the chassis, but was not generated through the speakers. You could actually feel it vibrating if you touched it. I retired in 2000 and we made a major move to our retirement home and unfortunately the SCA-35 was lost in the process. The guys also dropped my Halicrafters SX-100 SW radio, screwing up the unit. The SCA-35 was my last tube amp.

Back
Top Bottom