Dynaco ST-35 Build – DG Style

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by njcanuck, Jan 28, 2017.

1. TubeGator

TubeGator AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the standard ST-35 OPT is 16/8 ohm, I gather NJCanuck changed it to 8/4 ohm.
    But when I look at the dynakit transformer ST-35 kit, it does not specify OPT ohms so I don't know if they are 16/8 or 8/4 ohms.
    Was just looking for some clarification there.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TravAndAlex

TravAndAlex Active Member

Sorry. My bad. I believe the new transformers from Dynakit are 4/8 - doesn’t say on the transformer page but is listed in the specs for the amp kit.

3. TubeGator

ha! I was just over there looking at that!
    thanks

4. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Both Triode Electronics & Dynakit's version have 4 & 8 ohms. A third choice Magnequest has copied the originals exactly with 8 & 16 ohms, though they may have the 4 & 8 ohm option.

5. njcanuck

njcanuck aka: MacGyver Subscriber

TubeGator: you can certainly build this amp with the tools that you have. A scope and signal generator can help fine tune things but it will sound very good regardless. I’m sure that the majority of kit builders don’t have access to scopes, etc. If you stay close to the values that I used, you should be fine.

The Dynakit outputs are only available as 4/8 ohm and since I don’t own any 16 ohm speakers, I went with them on reputation. In fact I discovered that all my speakers sound best on the 8 ohm taps.

This amp is still in regular use and has been rock solid. No issues of any kind. I wish I could think of a good reason to build another one!

Go for it!

6. TubeGator

Thanks njcanuck! So is this the transformer kit you ordered:
    https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-35-transformer-set/

any chance you have a copy of the Mouser order I could copy?
    I did note your C10, R7 changes
    did you order the chassis bottom plate they offer for $45?
    someone asked about the sonicaps, are they something Mouser does not offer?
    anything else I should know that I didn't ask?
    thanks!!!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. njcanuck

njcanuck aka: MacGyver Subscriber

Yes, that is the transformer kit. I bought the $95 chassis kit but not the extra bottom plate. The chassis has a good enough bottom.

I’ll check my file to see if I still have the Mouser order. Sonicaps are only available through Sonicap.

8. Rockyhill

Rockyhill In the meantime, which is a groovy time Subscriber

Nice build. Looks beautiful.

I built the Dynakitparts 35 about 8 years ago. Added Dave’s original EFB design a year later. It’s a keeper.

9. TubeGator

ok, I see from your pic the sonicaps are C4,C5. .1uF 600V gen 1 from Sonicap

10. TubeGator

looking into this some more I guess I need to specify PC-13 mount hardware, wire, insulator, power cord, fuse, switch, RCA jacks, speaker binding posts, lug terminals....other
    looks like some of that stuff that fits the ST-35 can come from the dynakit website

funny, when I build a rc plane or drone, I just pull this stuff out of the stacks of parts bins I have. This being my first tube amp build from scratch, I need to think of every nut/bolt/wire etc......forget one thing and its another $7 shipping fee :eek: