Dynaco ST-70 Clone Worth It?

Not for $700 i wouldn't... not a PP amp with 7199 triode/pentode drivers. Hey, it was a great kit, still are thousands out there working great but for $700 I would build a nice SE with volume pots. Just my opinion. Dynas are good, but not that good.

That is a really nice looking kit. I suppose including having the chassis lettered
is not making the kit cheap. You could buy a very good used one for half that price. They are so very easy to restore yourself if needed you could come out ahead to go that route and end up at maybe 500. for a fully restored nice one at the current prices I think. And much less labor ! :) But then new is nice too. 700. could do a lot of things in tubes. Your call.

Carl

I'm a user of vintage solid state, like the Pioneer SX-1250, Kenwood KA-9100, Marantz 2325. What would this amp sound like in comparison? Thanks, and Merry Christmas,,,,,

I'll sell you a working, upgraded, triple checked ST70 for MUCH less than that, and throw some esoteric tubes in to boot.

$700 my arse.

Cheers,
Russ

I'll agree wayyyy tooo much. I'd sell my Michaelson Audio Integrated for less than that. You can get a Dyna 70 in good condition with some upgrades for almost half if you hunt around. For $700.00 you could do much better. Just my two cents worth, cos' its all I have :)

I guess the price being to high depends on how you look at it. If you were to price out everything in that kit I think you would find it easily would cost you $700 to build. I'm sure the seller buy's in quanities so he is making a few bucks but he surely won't retire off the profits. To but a used ST70 in like new condition and then completely restore it with a new front end board and all parts your going to be pretty close to $700 invested. Its really not a bad deal. The mistake this guy is making is leaving the circuit original Dynaco why bother the amp will still not be a original Dynaco. He could easily put a package together with a all triode front end and a better power supply setup for about the same money. If the Iron he is supplying is comparable to the original this combo would rival amps costing 2K or more new.

Craig

Way too much $$ for a kit. I'm with Thatch Ear. You could build a nicer SE amp for that kind of scratch. Not that that kit is bad, but you could do better.

Mike

Not too high for a kit of that caliber. Many cost more than that. The BIG QUESTION is...what kind of speakers is this thing going to drive? Are they efficient horn or ported designs? (92dB+) Inefficient to moderately efficient? (85 to 90dB) You kind of need to select the right amp for the job. If your speakers are efficient, then consider a SE design...if not, then a Class-A or A-B PP is the man for the job.

That will greatly depend on what you use for a preamp and how well it mates with the ST70. Generally speaking the ST70 will sound very pleasing with that tube warmth. Although not very accurate but you will find you can listen to it for hours without fatigue. But again with a power amp the sound can vary depending on the preamp used. With a better front end and power supply the ST70 can rival amps costing thousands.

Craig

It really kills me when people suggest with efficient horns SE is the only way. I guess it is the only way if you want your horns to sound like cones.

Craig

I'm using Athena speakers, the AS-F2, 93Db. I really like these speakers. I think they are detailed, and easy to drive, so maybe they would work well with tubes.

Those should be fine with tubes. I ran an ST-70 on 92 db Shahinians for a long time and it sounded great.

The main reason I don't think the kit is worth the money is because you won't get the quality of tubes that came with the old kit. Also to do an exact copy just doesn't make sense these days. You should have new 5 way binding posts, the RCA jacks in the old ST-70s are too close together and I would want a removable 3 way power cord.

If that kit was an updated version of an ST-70 with TOTL tubes it would be a great place to start. Since it is a straight copy I would say that you could do better for less. Remember that when that kit first came out close to 50 years ago that the parts were not the best because it was budget HiFi. Without an upgraded board etc I just can't see it as a good investment especially since this kit will not be worth what an original is after you finish. I don't have a problem with ST-70s, just with the $700.

He does update the power transformer in the kit, and modern RCA jack, looks like the capacitors are better too. In Dallas Thor? Me too. Do you provide a listening service to fellow members?

"Up for bids is a NEW production ST-70 kit by Amplitube. It is the closest thing to the original ST-70 kit that you can get! If you have never built one, or if it's been awhile, here's your chance to build the legend. This kit comes with almost everything that you need to build a 35 watt per channel tube amplifier. If you can use a soldering iron, a few simple tools, and follow the step by step directions, you can build the same kit that has been built by hundreds of thousands around the world over the last 40+ years! Every part in this kit is new except the tube cage! ALL transformers are NEW, and made in Chicago USA!
This kit uses NEW A470-S output transformers, which are reproductions of the Dynaco A470 output transformer as used on the ST70 and MkIV amplifiers.
The primary is wound the same as the original A470, same number of turns, sections and wire size, using the same patented Dynaco winding method, and made on the same core size and material. Only improved insulation material used (thus making the transformer more resistant to abuse) and nice long (10 inch/ 25 cm minimum) teflon insulated leads have been added.
This transformer has what you'd expect out of a Dynaco transformer, like healthy low frequency inductance, high resistance to distortion caused by output tube imbalance, and low distortion overall.
Output transformer specs are: 4300 ohms CT primary with screen taps, 4,8 and 16 ohm secondary. 20 Hz to 20 KHz response at 35W, within 1 db, 30 to 15 KHz at 70 watts.
New power transformer is heavier in construction, runs cooler, gives better regulation, won't buzz & hum like some originals do. Secondary B+ winding is 720VCT (360-0-360) at 300 ma with 55V bias tap, plus two 6.3VCT 5 amps & one 5V 4 amp tube filament & rectifier windings, and 55V bias tap.
The chassis is a new production unit that is an exact copy of the original including the silk screen lettering! Original condition cages are cleaned, prepped for paint, and shot inside and out with 3 coats of high quality semi-gloss black enamel. After drying for 7 days, the cage is finished with a NOS Dynaco ™label.
All the ½ watt resistors are 1% metal film, all 3 watt resistors are 5% metal oxide, and the two bias resistors are precision 1% 3 watt wire wound 15.6 ohms just like the originals! The PCB is made of 0.062" FR4 material, and follows the originals circuit faithfully right down to the wire hook up numbering and solder rings! The bias pots are premium Bourns units that cost almost $10.00 each! 0.10 capacitors are Solen fast caps rated at 630 volts, and the 0.047 capacitors are rated at 1000 volts. Both are made of the highest quality aluminum metalized polypropylene film available! The selenium rectifier has been updated with a silicon diode and the RCA jack is an exclusive Amplitube part that allows for use of modern RCA connectors. The tubes included are a new J/J matched quad of EL-34s, J/J 5AR4, and two Sovtek 7199s."

NOSValves said:
I guess the price being to high depends on how you look at it. If you were to price out everything in that kit I think you would find it easily would cost you $700 to build. I'm sure the seller buy's in quanities so he is making a few bucks but he surely won't retire off the profits.
I’m with Craig on this one. Just try and price out custom sheet metal work like that with a cage, lettering, bolt together assembly and a nice finish, toss in the cost of all that iron, a complete set of parts, tubes and ALL the necessary little bits that can eat you alive…you’re going to surpass $700 pretty damn quick.

I also agree with everybody here that pointed out that if you want an ST-70, you’d be better off buying a reconditioned/modified original, or maybe restoring one yourself. If it’s gotta be a new ST-70, have what looks like step-by-step instructions and a complete set of parts that should lead to a trouble free build experience, this pre-engineered (BIG advantage) kit doesn’t look too bad.

A 2A3 SET kit like the Bottlehead Paramour would be a little cheaper but there are a real limited number of speakers that’ll work with 3w/channel. 300B kits only get you to about 6w and there may be some that are in this price league but I can’t think of any – the real good ones like the Welbourne and Ella are way more. If you want to dabble in scratch building as I do you MIGHT be able to put together a 300B for less than $700 but after all the tin bashing, parts hunting and endless trips to electronics, hardware and hobby stores I bet you go way over that sum – especially if you use quality stuff. Maybe I’m just not good at cost control when it comes to building gear for my own use but believe me, it isn’t cheap, and I really did try. Cost isn’t always the issue either with scratch built and you really have to think about whether you can get from a pile of parts, sheet metal and ‘internet info’ to a properly functioning amp – it’s NOT to be taken lightly and I know I certainly underestimated how tough it is.

There may be other kits or circuits & tubes I’m not familiar with that could let you build an amp like the ST-70 for less money but if that’s what you want, I’d buy an original or consider this kit.

Thanks guys. I'm not married to the Dynaco ST-70 idea. I know so little about tubes right now anyway. I thought a triode was an asian gang member. Nor am I married to the idea of building it, though it might be fun. Maybe I should approach it as to what should I consider in the 700.00 to 1000.00 range for a tube amplifier?

What are your requirements? Power, features etc?

Wardsweb is / was selling his custom Paramours? Plus they are assembled already.

Mitch

Back
Top Bottom