Dynaco ST-70 Clone Worth It?

Power, well, I'm using fairly efficient Athena AS-F2 towers, I bet most of my listening is done at 20 watts or less. I don't use a phonograph. How much are these Paramours?

Not a bad cost for what you are getting there. But what are you getting? A PP 35 watt per channel amp based on a design that works but frankly could be much better. Some folks love the old Dyna ST70 in it's OEM form. I enjoyed mine too. But I was quick to upgrade sections of it and I found at each step it sounded better and better. Plus the seller sure lays it on thick in his ad if you ask me. I mean, he simply cannot have the same iron in the core of that transformer as once used in the old Dyna's. And that my friend is what many believe to the heart and soul of an amplifier. If I were to advise you I would say to keep looking for a while and keep reading. Wouldn't pull the trigger on this one as you eventually will be in an SET amp anyway. Why not start there first? Good luck.

Last edited:
My two cents--a wee bit pricy but they had good sound

I owned several of these ST-70's tied to a Pioneer Quad preamp. I liked the nice warm tube sound of this combination. Sadly, it was the mid nineties and I did not have the cool speakers I am using now. JBL L100's and Dynaco A25's. I had two pairs of Rat Shack floor speakers that were only OK compared to now. Would love to try that Pioneer Quad preamp/Stereo70 set now. Your SX 1250 will sound more bassy compared to a Stereo 70. While not bad it will be a different sound than you have now.

The cost is a bit much. While I won't mind the speaker hookups, binding posts would be nice. Also as stated, the RCA hookups are way too close :yes: and you can find them for less used. My first one I got with a PAS 3 preamp and a tuner. All for $30 from the original owner. :thmbsp: The second one was $100 with a PAS 4??, a solid state preamp. Still have the preamp. Miss 'em. but I play trade and sell. :yes:

Eric

why get a clone?

the real thing is for sale in member classifieds, with upgraded circuit board, killer tubes, sprague orange drop caps, all new point to point wiring, orig trannies, and killer paint job.... am i overselling?

You need to look at an ST-70 as the 1st step on a journey, because unless you just effing hate the whole tube thing, that is what it will be. Unless you always keep everything you buy you need to understand that a replica kit will never sell for the same price as an original, so if you want to re-invest your gear as you upgrade and evolve this kit is not a good idea. Everything else can be equal, but an original in good condition will always be worth more than a repro. Just a fact.....Buy a Fisher 400 reciever, get the same power and it comes with tube preamp and tube tuner in the same package. I like them better but I always like Telefunken 12AX7s better than RCA 7199s anyway.......and unless you can get some Mullards the old 7868s will probably be better than any newly made 6CA7/EL-34s and the new 7868s will be just as good as new EL-34s.

Hmmmm... I kinda like the FISHER SA-100 amp too...but would probably go a Fisher 400. Anyone know of a honest source for a refurbed 400? I would prefer to get one that was professionally checked out, and redone.

Isn't there a guy that goes by Busy Bee that specializes in refurbed Fisher recievers? I think he sells them as well as fixes them. Nashville maybe?

One of the nice things about the better old integrated amps and recievers is that they are set up for tape and phono. Bad thing is old pots, but that can be easily fixed. Grumpy has or had a Sherwood he likes a lot, I have heard an HK reciever that ran 6V6 type power tubes that was exellent.

I recently purchased a Fisher 400 on ebay,which I then took over to NOS Valves( a member) . He checked everything out and rebuilt the reciever.The price was very reasonable to me.I really love the way it sounds.If you go after one on ebay make sure that it has all the tubes with it,with the exception of the power tubes .They can be had new from EH for a decent price.The preamp tubes and tuner tubes are originally Telefunken and Mullards.They sound great and they're very expensive to replace.Alot of those recievers get stripped of there tubes and then sold off .David

Thatch_Ear said:
Isn't there a guy that goes by Busy Bee that specializes in refurbed Fisher recievers? I think he sells them as well as fixes them. Nashville maybe?

One of the nice things about the better old integrated amps and recievers is that they are set up for tape and phono. Bad thing is old pots, but that can be easily fixed. Grumpy has or had a Sherwood he likes a lot, I have heard an HK reciever that ran 6V6 type power tubes that was exellent.

Bizzy Bee (Paul) is in Chicago and pretty much does not do vintage rebuilds on a regular basis anymore he started dealing off shore audio gear like the Cayin TA30 mentioned above. He sends people my way all the time were pretty good freinds.

Craig

So what's your opinion of the Cayin TA-30 Integrated Amplifier compared to properly setup Fisher 400? I know the Fisher 400 has a tuner in it, and the Cayin does not. I like the idea of new. How much of a difference does the Bizzy Bee mods he offers make on the Cayin TA-30? Thanks.

Well personally I prefer the vintage receivers and integrated amps with there active preamp for the money compared to the Cayin by itself while the Cayin has a source selector and volume control its still not what I call a true integrated amplifier. But if you use the Cayin with a nice preamp then its hard to make a call. The other side of the coin is the Cayin with the modifications and a nice preamp are going to set you back a bunch more money but with new this will always be the case. Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of Paul will not have any of the TA-30 amps until mid year from what his site says but I haven't talked to him in a while.

Craig

Chiming in here... I just picked up an ST70 in perfect cosmetic condition for 200 bucks. It’s on its way to Craig at NOS Valves for a Mod/rebuild. By the time its done it will probably be a bit more than the 700 when you add on shipping, but it will be a wonderful tube amp equal or better than some costing thousands more. I have heard Craig’s rebuilds (he has done two Scott 299's for me and I have heard his modded ST70 that a friend owns) and can attest to that. His version of the ST70 blew away my Cary Rocket 88R. Why spend 700 to build a kit yourself (unless you want to) when you can get a better professional rebuild for much less

Josh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom