Dynaco ST35

Have a new kitted st35 with cornwalls. It's one of the best sounding amps I have. Luxman, eico,Scott, McIntosh referenced against.

I love the sound of the ST 35 but with Khorns I preferred the ST 70. I think the EL34's gave me a little bit better bottom end vs the EL84's.
YMMV.

I love the sound of the ST 35 but with Khorns I preferred the ST 70. I think the EL34's gave me a little bit better bottom end vs the EL84's.
YMMV.

You’re probably right, but in IME of all the amps I’ve had I can honestly say I haven’t really found the ONE that does everything perfect. So I guess you have to pick your battles. I guess that’s also a reason to have multiple systems. I have a el84 SE amp and really like the sound from that so I’m hoping this has a bit more grunt. I guess I’ll find out.

I guess that’s also a reason to have multiple systems.
That's the reason I like to use.;)
As I said, I love my ST-35. It has a really 'clean' sound and it works well with semi-efficient speakers.
In my experience, the EL34's sound just a tiny bit better with my Khorns. :dunno:
I also agree that I haven't found that one specific amp that works well with everything. Some work better with some speakers/systems and some better with others. Guess that's the fun of this hobby/journey/quest/affliction........
I hope you find the ST35 to your liking. Don't know to many folks that Don't like it.
I won't be selling mine any time soon.

Mine has the vintage trannies from’65 I was told if that matters. It’s a new build with vintage trannies.

From what I have read the vintage Trannies are a bit better. Not sure of the sonic dif.'s.
Someone that much smarter than this Badger will hopefully chime in and answer your question better than I.

Not a big deal, just thought I’d ask.
On another note, same song. What do you think of me using either my Sansui AU999 or Sansui Seven as a pre-amp with the 35?

Just asking if it’s a good match?
I just thought of something. Might be a dumb question. As you already probably guessed this is my first go-round with tubes. IF I use my receiver as a pre, will the tuner work as well? I’m assuming it will.

Well a PAS 3(x) would be my choice. I have a PAS3 and think it sounds great with the 35 or the 70.....
Not sure if your asking if they would be a good match sonically or electrically.?
The vintage Sui, I think, have a nice warm sound to them so sonically it might be a good match.
I might even like an HK 330B for the warmth factor that puts into the mix if you want SS.
Try both of the Sui's and report back with what you think.
Electrically they should match up from what I know but I guess you could check on the spec sheets to see what the pre amp output is on the Sui's and input parameters are on the 35...... I would try them.
If someone knows a reason why you couldn't electronically match them up I hope they speak up.
:lurk:

Last edited:
I will do some checking but I’m almost positive they will. So what about the tuner, will that be active if I use the receiver?

Yes I was meaning sonically.
I’m using my Sansui AU9500 as a pre for my SE amp.

Yes the tuner and all inputs would still be functional as they are going into the pre amp side of things.
(I only suggested an HK330B because they are easy to find and fairly cheap with a nice warm sound)
There are so many pre amp choices out there that would work with the 35.

Back
Top Bottom