Dynaudio Excite X12

Very, very nice pics!!!:thmbsp:
And WELCOME to the clube!:D

:beerchug:

Thanks, the X12's have the kind of sound I've been looking for. :music:

I'm starting to lose count of my speaker history I've been through so many in the past couple of years but I can tell these will be with me for some time.

Thanks to Art for starting this thread.

David asked what my impressions of the X12 were so here goes:

Its a very well balanced design indeed and I can see why its had all the favourable press and something of a following here. To give you some reference David, it has a more detailed treble and midrange than say the Diamond 10.1, bass is warm but not as full, however it is much more punchy agile and better defined. It has a lot of inner detail like the Usher 520 but the tonal colours are richer, they also have a very attractive sheen on them which I'm not sure is honest but I like it. I listened to Rued Langgaards "Music of the Sphere's" on Chandos and it was much easier to hear placement of each individual string players entry in each of the various string sections as they slowly merged together to create that wonderful shimmering sound of the piece. Overall its a very refined sound with sufficient bite at the top but its trump card is the way in which it organizes everything, theres very little to criticize. In most areas it beats out my PMC's other than rhythmic drive and bass quality and speed, its something of a bargain at its $1000 asking price and better than a lot if speakers twice the price.

Last edited:
Nice mini review. I absolutely agree with you about how they organize everything. That is the one of the first things I noticed and continue to notice about these speakers. When I listen to a well recorded jazz piece I can close my eyes a see the musicians on stage in their respective positions ... pretty cool stuff.

I've heard the 2010 Prom performance of that piece. I recall that you're into contemporary classic now. That's a feat for mini-monitors if you could really make out individual string players in such music. What was the associated gear?

I've heard the 2010 Prom performance of that piece. I recall that you're into contemporary classic now. That's a feat for mini-monitors if you could really make out individual string players in such music. What was the associated gear?

I think it's in his signature.

Its a wonderful piece but it was written in 1916-18, long before you might imagine.

Do you dig Boulez too Gav? The DG recordings of his music should truly be a quintessential recording in every audiophile's library.

Performing his own compositions naturally, performing other composers work well it really depends, for late romantic works I don't think he's the best even if its French.

Last edited:
I was talking about his own works yes.

Re late romantic works, he did some tremendous job with Bruckner 8.

I've used solid state from 50-100 watts and 30+ tube watts and all worked well. Although these are fairly inefficient they are not hard to drive, especially in a smallish space.

Thanks a lot . So a good receiver with 80 w/ch should do it?

Could be either. I've looked at a new Marantz stereo receiver that's 80 w per channel and I have several vintage receivers on my watch list on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom