Dystopian Film List

Until the End of the World. 2:38 minutes of unbridled hilarity. Not.
(Director's cut is 4.5 hours...)
Interesting user interfaces sprinkled throughout film. Good soundtrack, too.

This film haunts me. It came out about when I started to pay attention to stories and I saw it in interrupted fashion after it dropped on VHS rentals. My son was a newborn and I doubt I got through the whole 2.5H without pause. I've always wanted to see it again and the trailer confirms it. It's mentally lumped it in with Strange Days and as they are pre-internet but near future both might make for a good film night. Review numbers surprise me too, 90% on Rotten Tomatoes -

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jusquau_bout_du_monde/

Would there be a unlikelihood of green leaves in a Post-Apocalyptic world though? Maybe this is a few hundred miles from a City that looked Dystopian.

Plants (& small animals) will find a way. If most people were wiped out from disease or global financial rioting flora & fauna would still be around. It's why he had a garden.

I'm a big Mad Max fan (mainly the original), I've always wanted to explore the genre more so I'm going to have to check these suggestions out. Has anyone see the move adaption of "The Road"? The books seemed pretty cool, wonder how they film came out.

The Road (2009), was depressingly good. It is one of those movies that once you start you can't stop watching it but when you are finished you never want to watch it again.

What I would like to see is a mini series, and it would have to be a mini series, of the book "A Canticle for Leibowitz". This book is a masterpiece. it is both post apocalyptic and dystopian in nature. The book is full of symbolism and metaphors. The finale of this book is jaw dropping in it's symbolism. The book is naturally divided into 3 parts.

"Fiat Homo" ("Let There Be Man")
"Fiat Lux" ("Let There Be Light")
"Fiat Voluntas Tua" ("Let Thy Will Be Done")

Last edited:
What I would like to see is a mini series, and it would have to be a mini series, of the book "A Canticle for Leibowitz".
The book is naturally divided into 3 parts.

"Fiat Homo" ("Let There Be Man")
"Fiat Lux" ("Let There Be Light")
"Fiat Voluntas Tua" ("Let Thy Will Be Done")

That's the only audio book on my phone and my #1 all-time fave read, any genre. It would be a great film set (all caveats, w/ good director, writing, etc.)

/don't give it to guy ritchie

Apocalypto (2006) this movie directed by Mel Gibson while taking place in the 16th century is definitely dystopian by nature. The dialog in the entire movie is in the Mayan language. A declining, disease ridden, famine beset, Mayan civilization. In this world "Jaguar Paw" ( Rudy Youngblood) is kidnapped by a neighboring Mayan city state for sacrifice. This very dark movie is about his efforts to get back to his pregnant wife "Seven" (Dalia Hernández) and child, while being pursued by a vengeful father, Zero Wolf (Raoul Trujillo), who's son "Cut Rock" (Ricardo Diaz Mendoza) Jaguar Paw killed escaping. . Zero Wolf has to be one of the best pre-columbian villains ever.

Zero Wolf
latest

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom