EAC vs dbpoweramp

airtime

I downloaded EAC a week or so ago and still haven't been able to get it working. It actually locked up my laptop several times. Seems all the online help is geared towards rewriting code. I really!!!! don't think I want to get that deep into messing up my computer. Am I missing something? It will not recognize my HP DVD drive, no matter what switches and setting I change.

I was looking into dbpoweramp. They have several versions. I don't need MP3 converter just to make a faithful copy of my CD onto a memory device.

How difficult is dbpoweramp to use and which version should I get?

EAC vs db was discussed in one of your other topics on this subject. I even went out and found a link to a free trial version of db and posted it.
I'd start with that and go from there. See if you like, and if it works, before committing any money.

EAC shouldn't mess up your computer, btw. Something funky is going on there.

EAC vs db was discussed in one of your other topics on this subject. I even went out and found a link to a free trial version of db and posted it.
I'd start with that and go from there. See if you like, and if it works, before committing any money.

EAC shouldn't mess up your computer, btw. Something funky is going on there.
It locked up twice. And no matter what I do it will not recognize the drive. It just kicks out the disc and the setup wizard will not go past that point.

It locked up twice. And no matter what I do it will not recognize the drive. It just kicks out the disc and the setup wizard will not go past that point.

That's just weird.

I'd wipe it, and then give db a shot.

IME EAC is one finicky ass program. I used (or tried) it on multiple computers both laptop and desktop with various versions of Windows. Some PC's it likes and others running the same operating system it balks. It won't load and completely locks up. Fortunately the laptop that I'm currently using as a music server is EAC friendly. OTOH one of my two desktops doesn't like it at all. I have wiped it and tried re-installing to no avail.

I've never tried EAC but have been using dbpoweramp cd ripper for years and never had any problem loading or using it.

Does your PC meet EAC's minimum requirements?

All of them do. On the ones it doesn't like it refuses to read the CD drive or Blu-Ray drive. It registers the drive as being there but won't read from it.

Last edited:
EAC uses pretty deep integration with a CD drive in order to use the error correction facilities. It's possible that if you don't run the drive analysis, it will have trouble.

I used the quite old CDex when I was doing CD Rips on Windows.
Very simple to use yet configurable, can do lossless extraction and verify it, then transode to flac or other formats. It is also open source and free to use, and had no adware or anything bloated.

Edit : be careful to use the original one http://cdex.mu/

EAC uses pretty deep integration with a CD drive in order to use the error correction facilities. It's possible that if you don't run the drive analysis, it will have trouble.

I have no problem with three of five PC's. The other two simply don't/won't work with EAC. All my PC's are running the latest version of Win10. They are relatively new (2 years old for the oldest) and maintained properly.

I can install and run EAC on all my PC's. However, the two that don't work with EAC lock up during the configuration process. I've been using various versions of EAC for a number of years. So I'm quite familiar with it. It's IMO/E a seriously finicky program. If you can't complete the configuration IME you won't have the option of using FLAC compression.

I have no problem with three of five PC's. The other two simply don't/won't work with EAC. All my PC's are running the latest version of Win10. They are relatively new (2 years old for the oldest) and maintained properly.

I can install and run EAC on all my PC's. However, the two that don't work with EAC lock up during the configuration process. I've been using various versions of EAC for a number of years. So I'm quite familiar with it. It's IMO/E a seriously finicky program. If you can't complete the configuration IME you won't have the option of using FLAC compression.
Exactly, it won't even configure. It either reads that there is a CD drive but will not actually access it or locks up.

The other two simply don't/won't work with EAC

Do they have the same model of CD drive?

I was trying to say that EAC may have trouble with some drives. I'm not disputing that it might; I haven't tried them all... I've been lucky that it's worked fine with all the drives I've used. I did have to run the drive analysis to get it to run at full speed, though.

I was trying to say that EAC may have trouble with some drives. I'm not disputing that it might; I haven't tried them all... I've been lucky that it's worked fine with all the drives I've used. I did have to run the drive analysis to get it to run at full speed, though.
Personally, I think EAC is a top notch program. Yet, fairly, it is quite complex and daunting for a novice. It's evident you are a well schooled fan.

Just curious, have you used dBpoweramp to any extent? If so, your plus and minus experience/opinion would be valued & welcome here.
:beerchug:

Just curious, have you used dBpoweramp to any extent?

No, I haven't. I hope my posts about EAC don't come across as being negative towards dBpoweramp; that's not my intention. I'm just trying to help people use EAC (because it does require careful setup).

I do note that this thread is nominally about the comparison between the two. Point taken...

I have used MediaMonkey extensively, and MusicBee. I'll wait for a comparative thread on those to come up...

[edit] I had another look at the dBPA website; I'd looked a few years ago. It does sound pretty good, and seems to have the same level of rip accuracy as EAC. The ability to access and compare metadata from different sources sounds useful, but I don't have to do too much changing of what EAC finds on MusicBrainz and freedb. Likewise, the artwork; lots of sources would be good, but I generally scan my own (eventually; downloaded artwork is a stop-gap). MusicBee is also pretty good at getting artwork, trying five common sources. I've always struggled to get MM to find decent metadata, but I find it better than MB for manipulating my own (I like that it has the physical folder structure, which is not as well done in MB).

dBPA looks well worth a trial. But I'm a cheapskate...

Last edited:
Well I got EAC to work on my laptop. What I did was uninstall it and reload it without using all the pluggings, add ons and Accuraterip options. I only had the FLAC option checked off when I reloaded.

I ripped one CD. Now my question is it ripped it in WAV and not FLAC. I understand you can't improve a recording by simply coping it in another format. But I am a tad bit confused about the WAV format. If EAC uses WAV and Win10 uses not only WAV but WAV lossless - which is better?

Also how can I go back and ONE at a time install the options I unchecked at loading. This way I can find out what plug in was jamming up the works.

I think the drive thing can be a big deal.
Sure, EAC can be picky with some drives. But, it's a ripping program for people who are picky about the results, so..............

Back
Top Bottom