early 80's marantz

superdog

AK Member
I was just wondering what the general opinions are for early 80's marantz equipment.I don't see much about this particular era of equipment on ak or elsewhere.i have only one piece a pm 400 integrated amp 70wpc which sounds decent

I've asked a similar question here before, regarding one particular receiver from that era. The general concensus of responses was that Marantz, like nearly every brand, began cheapening their stuff in the 1980s, and most said not to bother with it. Early on in the 1980s, Marantz tried to keep the appearance of the traditional 70's gear, including the famous "gyro-wheel tuning", but the insides cheapened. Some of the early 1980s stuff, with the golden fascia, looks very nice, but may not be even remotely the same quality inside as the earlier stuff it imitates.

Most people feel it isn't worth getting them, because for only a little more money (or less if you are lucky at thrifts or garage sales) you can get significantly better quality from the 70s gear. That may be true, but I think it is a little unfair to at least SOME of the 1980s stuff. It may not be up to the earlier standards (it isn't), but at least a couple pieces I've heard didn't sound bad, at all. Your amp is probably in that category (I haven't heard that model). They were at least better than most of the BPC that ensued in the later 1980s and 1990s, and better than many/most of the "mini" systems so popular today.

Another plus, they are dirt-cheap, since no one wants them. So cheap that on a bang-for-buck ratio alone, they are probably a better buy than the earlier gear! I don't think you'll want to replace your main system with one, as the sound isn't quite outstanding, nor will they give you "bragging rights" of any kind around here, but if you are looking for something cheap for the garage or kitchen, or something for a youngster's room that may "hook" him (her) on the cool looks of vintage gear, and won't have cost you an arm and a leg when they blow it up or spill Coca Cola on it, you could do a lot worse than some of the early 1980s Marantz stuff, IMO.

There is one series/style that is particularly deceptive: the outsides look like cheap BPC, but the insides aren't bad, and it puts out over 100 real WPC. Can't remember the model designations, but search around; it has a fan or two here, and has been discussed here before. [Maybe someone can post the correct designation/link.] It's definitely an "under the radar" bargain in the audio world.

One caveat: SOME (maybe a lot) of the Marantz gear that came out in the mid-late 1980s-1990s really was poor, and perhaps not worth carrying home, even for free. Do your homework and look carefully at the gear you find. Try to get a listening test, and consider its weight and what you can see of its construction, before buying. SOME post-70s Marantz stuff is quite decent for "daily listening" type use, and real value (given it's dirt-cheap prices) but not all, by any means.

Some of the early 80s SR receivers were pretty good, but like Arkay said, not many good units made after the SR series.

The early 80's Marantz is not so bad at all.

I have had several like PM-400,510DC and 710DC.
Good amplifiers although the frontpanel switches and sliders aren't that massive as before.

With some type's you have to be carefull or better, leave them alone.

All in all; most of it is still good stuff.

IMO, the SR-8100G is the best of the lot. I've also seen the SR gold faced dial receivers and was not impressed with the build quality. I have seem the all-in-one STA-110 and I was impressed by the massive heatsink and the output transistors. VS says his STA-165 is massively powerful and sounds much better than it should based on the handle-less boombox looks.

While these are not for me, the STA's and most SR's can be had for dirt cheap. Be sure you get the remote with the STA.

I don't claim to have any great knowledge or golden ears, for that matter, but I have a SR5100 that I have been nothing but happy with. I think the sound that get out of it is quite nice and, with 35 wpc, it is plenty powerful for my little listening space.

I have owned a SR-3100 (gold face, gyro-tune, circa 1983) for a few years. While the build quality is not up to the earlier 70's gear, it does sound pretty good. The tuner in it is AWESOME. It picks up stations better than anything else I've ever owned. It has been sitting on a shelf for quite some time as I've moved on to bigger and better toys, so I'm giving it to my sister (along with some speakers) for a Christmas present.

As far as Receivers go, the first Receivers following the 2600 series were the SRs. The TOTL was the 70 wpc SR-8000 with with full-blown digital tuner. For some reason, the European market got the much more powerful (130x2) SR-9000G, which had some minor cosmetic changes, but looked basically the same. These were the first Marantz Receivers with Power Meters, albeit LEDs. The lower models had Analog Power Meters.

Next in line, around 1982, was the SR-81000DC, also at 70 wpc. This unit moved the game along by including a Microprocessor controlling all the functions and a built-in timer. It was also the first Marantz to include a built-in EQ. The Seperates also followed this trend. This was the last of the Marantz Receivers to be made by Marantz Japan. Following that, they were outsourced. I still consider the SR8100DC to be one of the best looking Receivers ever.

Following the SR-8100DC came the SR-940. This was the first Marantz Receiver with a Remote Control. It was also the first with fully digital controls. Power was increased to 100 wpc, but the faceplate was now plastic. The SR-940 came in Gold, Black and Silver.

Up next in 1985, was the TA (Tuner Amplifier) Series which were designed to look like a combination Tuner/Amplifier rather than a Receiver. These units featured a dramatic price drop and tremendous performance for the money. However, the faceplates were the cheapest plastic available and looked almost toy like. They had seperate 5-Band EQs for each channel and burly power amp sections with huge heatsinks. The TOTL was the TA-165 (which on the front says ST-165 and SM-165) at 165 wpc. A couple years later, this was topped by the TA-170, which had the same power output but included some limited video features. These also came with remotes.

Then there was what can only be considered the "bottom of the barrel", the SR-3600, the first "Home Theater" Marantz Receiver with Dolby Surround. It was rated at 120 wpc x 2 for the front channels and 20 x 2 for the rears. The front channels were "bridgeable". However, the construction quality was very poor and these units were made by Funai. Did I mention "ugly"? The faceplate was held on with glue! These were truly bad and, I believe, greatly responsible for Marantz's "bad rep" during the 80's.

Following the SR-3600, Dynascan, the makers the the Cobra CB Radio, briefly took over and took Marantz in another direction. The flagship Receivers were the "Century Series", headed by the RS-3559. Metal faceplates returned as did sophisticated design. The RS-3559 came in two flavors, basic black and a stunning champagne/gold with real rosewood side panels. Julian Hirsch commented in Stereo Review that it was one of the most handsome pieces of audio gear he had ever seen. Although it was also a Home Theater Receiver, and rated at 125 wpc for the fronts, it tested out at 178 wpc and, once again, restored some credibility to Marantz for significantly under rating the power of their Receivers like they had with the 2325 in the early 70's.

That pretty much covers Marantz Receiver from the 80's.

-- Chris

vintagestereo said:
As far as Receivers go, the first Receivers following the 2600 series were the SRs.

-- Chris

So, not to hijack the thread here, but I'm just wondering where that puts the SR-5100. Was that an early 80's model below the SR-8000? I have not been able to find any information on it at all. All I know is that it seems well built, with the Marantz gyro tuning and LED power meters.

Just curious if someone had any knowledge to share.

vintagestereo said:
As far as Receivers go, the first Receivers following the 2600 series were the SRs. The TOTL was the 70 wpc SR-8000 with with full-blown digital tuner. For some reason, the European market got the much more powerful (130x2) SR-9000G, which had some minor cosmetic changes, but looked basically the same. These were the first Marantz Receivers with Power Meters, albeit LEDs. The lower models had Analog Power Meters.

Next in line, around 1982, was the SR-81000DC, also at 70 wpc. This unit moved the game along by including a Microprocessor controlling all the functions and a built-in timer. It was also the first Marantz to include a built-in EQ. The Seperates also followed this trend. This was the last of the Marantz Receivers to be made by Marantz Japan. Following that, they were outsourced. I still consider the SR8100DC to be one of the best looking Receivers ever.

Following the SR-8100DC came the SR-940. This was the first Marantz Receiver with a Remote Control. It was also the first with fully digital controls. Power was increased to 100 wpc, but the faceplate was now plastic. The SR-940 came in Gold, Black and Silver.

Up next in 1985, was the TA (Tuner Amplifier) Series which were designed to look like a combination Tuner/Amplifier rather than a Receiver. These units featured a dramatic price drop and tremendous performance for the money. However, the faceplates were the cheapest plastic available and looked almost toy like. They had seperate 5-Band EQs for each channel and burly power amp sections with huge heatsinks. The TOTL was the TA-165 (which on the front says ST-165 and SM-165) at 165 wpc. A couple years later, this was topped by the TA-170, which had the same power output but included some limited video features. These also came with remotes.

Then there was what can only be considered the "bottom of the barrel", the SR-3600, the first "Home Theater" Marantz Receiver with Dolby Surround. It was rated at 120 wpc x 2 for the front channels and 20 x 2 for the rears. The front channels were "bridgeable". However, the construction quality was very poor and these units were made by Funai. Did I mention "ugly"? The faceplate was held on with glue! These were truly bad and, I believe, greatly responsible for Marantz's "bad rep" during the 80's.

Following the SR-3600, Dynascan, the makers the the Cobra CB Radio, briefly took over and took Marantz in another direction. The flagship Receivers were the "Century Series", headed by the RS-3559. Metal faceplates returned as did sophisticated design. The RS-3559 came in two flavors, basic black and a stunning champagne/gold with real rosewood side panels. Julian Hirsch commented in Stereo Review that it was one of the most handsome pieces of audio gear he had ever seen. Although it was also a Home Theater Receiver, and rated at 125 wpc for the fronts, it tested out at 178 wpc and, once again, restored some credibility to Marantz for significantly under rating the power of their Receivers like they had with the 2325 in the early 70's.

That pretty much covers Marantz Receiver from the 80's.

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Between late 1980 (when Philips took Marantz Japan inc.) there were 2 Marantz brands.
In 1991 Philips bought Marantz U.S. too.

Therefor we Europeans don't know much about that period.

Those model numbers you mention i am not familiar with.

Brian4561 said:
So, not to hijack the thread here, but I'm just wondering where that puts the SR-5100. Was that an early 80's model below the SR-8000? I have not been able to find any information on it at all. All I know is that it seems well built, with the Marantz gyro tuning and LED power meters.

Just curious if someone had any knowledge to share.

Hi Brian -- The original SR Line in the US was SR 8000, 6000, 5000, 4000, 3000, 2000 and 1000. The following year, the SR8000 remained on top but the non-digital models got some subtle revisions and were designated 6100, 5100, etc. The SR8100DC is from a completely different line than the SR-5100.

- Chris

I have another uncle(besides the one with the Setton) that has a complete-in perfect-condition early 80's marantz GOLD SERIES system. He has 2 single tape decks, a REALLY OLD marantz CDP, an equalizer, a self-tracking TT, a 100(or 150) wpc integrated amp, a digital tuner, and a really cool system controller that has a remote control that fits in what looks like a cd drawer. this little component has holes on the back so all the other components can plug into it, and will all turn on with the click of one switch.:yes: Somhow this remote controls ALL THE DIGITAL BUTTONS, even though some components are completely set apart from it. Weird, huh?:scratch2: THE COMPLETE SET of stuff. Said he paid >4K when new. Sounds good, but its probably not the quality that marantz was 5 years b4.

Do any of you know anything about this line?:scratch2:

Don't know anything about that line.Said he paid $4grand for it? must sound pretty good.I hardly ever come across any of the gold Marantzs in my searches my vintage stereo equipment or any sr series for that matter.

I bought a TA100 off merrylander a little while back. Did me some good service and I gifted it to a friend. Not a bad sounding piece of gear.

I bought a PM450 and it sounds very good to me

Hi everybody, my first post in this forum...

I recently got infected with the "vintage Marantz" virus, so I went looking on eBay for Marantz gear. I won a bid for this:
PM450_gen.jpg

The PM450 is an early 80's model.
Imho it sounds great. :music:
I thought it would be a good idea to start honing my restoration skills with a less expensive Marantz amp. I am writing a web page about it:
http://gigapod.free.fr/marantz_restoration.html

As far as I can tell the quality is quite decent and the engineering is sound. :tresbon:

I'd love to mention the 1981's ST-450 tuner.
It's kind of a hybrid: gyro-touch tuning wheel and analog tuning (4 gangs) with a digital display. It's the substitute of the 2100 and IMHO is an even better tuner, altought it may not have the same appeal. :yes:
(also it goes very cheap on the bay..)

Just my .2 cents
Carlo

I have an SR-1000 pulling garage duty, nice little receiver, power meters on a bottom of the line unit. Just before the black plague, I guess. :scratch2:

I recently acquired a Marantz SD-3000 Cassette Deck from a thrift shop. For starters, the door does not close unless you press the "eject" button. At first, the tape would not move but after a little head cleaning the tape would play BUT only to get a loud, continuous audo POPPING sound on both channels. Are both problems here related? Any recommendations? Was this unit one of the better or more watered down Marantz decks in the early 80's?

Best, Bill Edwards

I bought a PM450 and it sounds very good to me

Hi everybody, my first post in this forum...

I recently got infected with the "vintage Marantz" virus, so I went looking on eBay for Marantz gear. I won a bid for this:
PM450_gen.jpg

The PM450 is an early 80's model.
Imho it sounds great. :music:
I thought it would be a good idea to start honing my restoration skills with a less expensive Marantz amp. I am writing a web page about it:
http://gigapod.free.fr/marantz_restoration.html

As far as I can tell the quality is quite decent and the engineering is sound. :tresbon:
hello, I was just looking for some infor on PM310 I am considering to buy, your web voocering the higher up model was very useful. Thank you!

Wow, old thread, I think it was one of ARKAY's First. I wouldn't get too excited about the amp, I used to pass those by on a regular basis in 2006 and never added that series of equipment to my collection. Marantz did have some really nice stuff in the 80's, the PMD Series of field recorders, the PMS, CRS and UNIX (Brand) line of boomboxes were also top notch. Most of the good stuff was still made in Japan, I think before the big split they also had manufacturing for the budget lines in Singapore and Taiwan. The only photo I can find on the internet have a "Made in Japan" Sticker but look at the guts, there's really not a lot in there. It might be fine for a computer or workshop amp but if your looking for a real Marantz, this is just a shadow of the old stuff.

Back
Top Bottom