Early to mid-90s gear

I do indeed remember PlayXchange, and yes it did help me sell a lot of CD players. I have a CDC-555 equipped with it sitting right here. Found it for a friend for $10 as an interim player when his broke and now he no longer needs it.

Those entry level x50 receivers were great units for the money and I have also had a few run ins with the selector switch on the higher models. I caught your thread on old brochures, thanks for sharing. I have some I could dig up, including the likes of Mark Levinson and B&O. I also have been meaning to add to your thread on promo items, I have a ton of them lying around downstairs.

I never thought much about the whole PlayXchange thing being a "feature" until I had a changer without it. Removing the four discs that aren't playing - no problem. Getting that fifth one out takes some strategy and timing. You have to direct play an empty slot to fool the thing into thinking there's a disc there, then in the 2-3 seconds it's "reading" the blank slot the tray rotates and you can open it real quick and get that last disc out.

restorer-john if you have anything on the RX-360 and RX-V850 I'd love to see those.

Here you go on the RX-360. It was the baby in the range, but a step up in power and you got full remote over the RX-350. It's in my 1993/94 full range brochure.

scan057.jpg

Picked up the RX—750 and CDC-735. :) Sounding great and I love the smooth looks. The CD player works like a charm. Reads CDR and pretty scratched up discs. I like the coaxial digital output, which is switchable off/on from the rear. The later 745 lost the coaxial digital out and replaced it with toslink.

Attachments

• 20170824_141311.jpg
    20170824_141311.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170824_141152.jpg
    20170824_141152.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
Picked up the RX—750 and CDC-735. :) Sounding great and I love the smooth looks. The CD player works like a charm. Reads CDR and pretty scratched up discs. I like the coaxial digital output, which is switchable off/on from the rear. The later 745 lost the coaxial digital out and replaced it with toslink.

Yes, nice touch. When I have heard a difference it has usually been in favor of a co-ax out.

Yamaha did have decent error correction on their CDPs, helped with abused store demo discs!

The RXV-2090 was a beast, I have one floating around here someplace.

Actually, I've got brochures for a lot of that era I was selling right here, I'll see what I can dig up for this thread. edit: found them. Let me know what models guys. WHat was lovely back then, was Yamaha made a brochure for every individual piece as well as full lineup brochures.

John, do you have the RX-V2090 brochure. I've two of them, may be a couple of them you sold in Sydney. :)

Brought home a CDX-560 today because I wanted a single-disc. I'm guessing it had never been used. Not a single nick, scratch or even a fleck of dust on either the player or the remote and even had the new electronic smell. If it had been in the original box I'd swear it was NOS.

from top: RX-V850, EQ-550, CDX-560, KX-W232, CDC-805

Nice setup. I have a CDX-596 which is lovely too!

What I'd really like to find is an AX-1050/1070/1090, they all seem to do 145x2 and have the pure direct feature. I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere online so I'm guessing they are pretty rare.

What I'd really like to find is an AX-1050/1070/1090, they all seem to do 145x2 and have the pure direct feature. I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere online so I'm guessing they are pretty rare.

The hard part will be finding one in 120v. If you can live with a step down transformer the 1050/1070/1080 show up on ebay in Europe pretty regularly. There are several of each on ebay.de right now. The amp has no problem with heavy 4 ohm loads also.

DSC04519.jpg

My AX-1090 is sitting there on the lower left. It probably won't be on the market until after I die.

Cheers,
James

Came across an AV-66 today like this one, but black:

9004c3155655894c6b0badcd16f08465.jpeg

At first I dismissed it because of the "AV" bit, but it's two-channel. Specs say 100 WPC, it's got a cool power meter thingy, and has a phono stage. May have to add one of these to my collection.

The MX-1, MX-2, CX-1, and CX-2 all match cosmetically with their oddly shaped fronts. What tuners, cd players and other components would have originally been sold with these?

There's an RX-950 on that auction site right now. My understanding is that one is pretty rare. Shame it's all scratched up.

Back
Top Bottom