Earthshaking Music-A Rant

2DualsNotEnough

Addicted Member
I was interested in a pair of Omega TS3's,and purchased a pair from Earthshaking Music at their website.I call the store today,to confirm my order,and the salesman,Randy told me he had no confidence in the speaker,since it didnt have the Fostex driver.He said thats why they dont carry it normally,but only do special orders on it.He told me I should not order it,and order the super,which,naturally,is 200 more.He spent the next two minutes trashing the speaker,and then told me he hadnt actually listened to the speaker,but that the different driver made him suspect of it.So I told him,"well,you sold me.Cancell my order,since my card hadnt been charged yet."He sounded really pissed,and told me hed call me back.Im getting ready for work,so I call him a half hour later,and he says,"I told you Id call you back."I told him I had a job,and couldnt wait in front of the phone all day.This really got him pissed,but he said was "pretty sure" the order could be cancelled.It doesnt matter,since I ordered something else,anyway.These are the kinds of Audiophile snobs that keep the hobby small.They intimidate those who cant afford a pair of Cain and Cains at the drop of a hat,and belittle equipment they havent even heard.What a dissapointment.
Thank you for letting me vent :yes:
Jimmy

What an idiot. When I was selling electronics we were taught to NEVER talk down about a product, you're just suposed to take up about the others. For example if someone asks you about the quality of the TV sets, don't tell them RCA TVs are shit, just tell them that most of us here at the store have Sonys and Mitsubishis and people seem to have better luck with those kinds.

If the customer doesn't sway their opinion and is still leaning towards a peice of crap you drop it and sell them what they want. Telling them it sucks is just going to make them angry and they will go buy it somewhere else.

I tend to avoid the higher up audio places altogether I feel out of place. They make me feel like what I have or am interested in is junk so I will shop thrift stores flee markets and pawn shops

AV Snobs

I had been working a deal on the phone with one salesman several years ago that amounted to over 10grand worth of Sony XBR36400 TV and the rest in ES Audio gear. This was just after a direct hit by lightening fried everything I owned so feeling fat with insurance money I bought an entire HT system all good stuff.

When the time came to go get it I took my mechanic friend with me in his greasey truck and both of us in dirty work clothes we sauntered in, my salesman was at lunch and we were to meet him in about 30 minutes. . .

Well we walked in and started killing time looking at all the new gear when this youngster still wet behind the ears but sure he knew it all came over and not so politly asked us to hurry and buy something and leave, said something to the effect that WalMart was down the street. . .

My buddie grabed him by the throat and was going to beat his ass when the salesman came in from lunch. He had never seen me but knew me from the phone conversation only. Anyway he was comming to this nerds rescue when my buddie had an attack of common sense and put the boy down. . . We were both pissed, hell everyone was pissed untill I told him that I was there to pick up my gear. . .

All of a sudden it was very quiet, lots of throat clearing and so forth. I had determined that I was not going to buy from these clowns but I wanted to make them work a little. He knew I was bringing cash and of course he wanted it. . . We spent the next two hours looking, talking about just about everything in the store. Now this was a Sony ES store, only high grade Sony no low line stuff.

Long story short we made sure every item was sat by the front door ready to go when I told my buddie to get the truck and bring it to the door while I payed the man. . . Once I saw through the window that my friend was driving up to the door I stepped out climbed in the truck and we left. . .

Well the salesman had my phone number as we had been working this deal for about three weeks. He called and wanted to know what it was going to take to save this deal. . . I told him 35% discount and to fire the asshole who wanted us to leave. . .

To tell you how hard it is to get a deal in these places this guy was going to fire the DH :yikes: but no discount. . .Finally after the kid calls and apoligizes I went ahead with the deal. I got my satisfaction and the young guy learned a big lesson. I have been back several times and know many on a first name basis, all said that guy woke up that day and changed his attitude. Seems he was about to be fired anyway before we walked in the door.

Felt good knowing we made our deal and put some sense into one of those DHs you see in those stores. :thmbsp:

Sorry for my rant. . . Now my finger hurts so I better stop here. . .LOL. .

Gyusher, your story reminds me of one of my life's early lessons when I was in retail. I had started working for my Dad at his jewelry store when I was 14. Now, I knew better than to be rude or make snippy remarks to people, but had yet learned not to *judge books by their covers*. One day I was waiting on a man who smelled like diesel and whose clothes were torn and dirty. But, he was my customer and I allowed him to take his time looking at engagement rings. I pulled trays that I thought were in his price range, pointing out which ones were the better values. Eventually pulling out a wad of cash that would have choked a goat, he counted out what he wanted to spend and I ended up making a very nice sale (and learned a little something in the process).

gearhead said:
It wasn't when CELT was 14, I'll bet. :no:
Nope, back then diesel was cheaper than gas (all fuel was cheap back then) and was used on farms to power the pumps (Still is AFAIK). The gentleman became one of my regular customers (BTW: He farmed).

Hell all i own are beat up and ripped old clothes. I look the way i want to because thats what I want. I honestly don't give a rats ass what someone thinks about me.

When i walk into a store No one wants to help me period. So when i finally do find someone who helps me because my money is green and not the way i look I try to patronize the hell out of that particular salesman. Unfortunately it does not happen ofter. However I always make it a point to mention to a Salesman when i walking out of these stores that you just lost a lot of commission ! Most probably think I am bull shitting them and honestly don't care.

I say F them.

How do they do it

Shoot I have walked into one of those "Botique"(sp) stores all cleaned up and these guys are something, like they are put out or something to wait on you. 'Progressive Audio" here in Columbus is like that. . . My friend wanted a Loewe TV that listed for about 5 grand and this guy wouldnt budge and treated us like crap. My buddie bought it from a retailer in Chicago for about 3500 bucks and guess who had to deliver it and set it up?? If you said the DH you would be right. . . I bet he didnt say two words the whole time he was there.

They must have RADAR or something to recoginize their own kind. . . Then all they do is talk, talk , talk. . . How on earth do they sell anything. . . .

LOL Grumpy sounds like me, the LAST place I will spend my money is on clothes ;) Add to that unless I am going to a job interview or a wedding or a funeral I wear shorts. Year round. You can imagine the looks I get in the winter around here. I have the opposite though people follow me around asking to help me cuz they think I am gonna steal something ;) Back when I had hair almost to my ass and wore and earring it was a real hassle :D

THOR said:
LOL Grumpy sounds like me, the LAST place I will spend my money is on clothes ;) Add to that unless I am going to a job interview or a wedding or a funeral I wear shorts. Year round. You can imagine the looks I get in the winter around here. I have the opposite though people follow me around asking to help me cuz they think I am gonna steal something ;) Back when I had hair almost to my ass and wore and earring it was a real hassle :D

I've gotten in the habit of buying Dollar General $10 jeans, and pocket t-shirts and putting off buying clothes if at all possible. All my sweaters are like at least 4 or 5 years old, and I have to rummage through my dresser to find socks that don' have holes in the heels. But hey, that leaves more money for audio gear, DVD's and CD's :yes:

I'm actually making a New Years Resolution to try and dress better. So I'm gonna have to stop at Land End Outlet and try and find some reasonably priced, better looking clothes. I'm getting so I feel like a total hayseed.
:worried:

hahai'm the same, i wear shorts or sometimes jeans and sandals or workboots just about year round, as for shirts i've got about a bazillion different 4$ plain striped "clubbing" shirts........ oh and a couple of old jerseys from my sports days

Thrifts

You know the Thrifts have more than vintage electronics. . . I occasionally find a decent pair of jeans there. . . I leave the shoes :yikes: alone however. . .

Hey! I've got a real nice set of $2.00 Rockports in the closet. Can't beat those thrift prices though. I'm wearing some $5.00 Levis and a $2.00 cashmere sweater right now.

As long as you're out hunting, why pass on a non-audio deal ????

Last edited:
Shoes

Andyman said:
Hey!
As long as you're out hunting, why pass on a non-audio deal ????

All the shoes I find dont fit and they look like they walked places that have never been walked on before. Like 40 miles of bad road. . . :naughty:

I can never find size 15's in them shops and even if I did I got a thing about other peoples funk ! :banana:

15's? i'm having tough finding 15-16's too but occasionally you do....... i've got me a duct tape suit, imagine a 6'3 300-ish pound lineman in a duct tape suit......... with neon trim....... haha its magic

Sitting here right now fully clothed from Goodwill Sans shoes :D I prefer to dress in worn out old jeans and stained t-shirts but I am in real estate and must keep the hair & beard short and dress nicely and I manage to find lot's of "like new" Dockers, Izod polo shirts etc. for typically $5 a piece and no longer bother with even Wally world except for socks and under's. It is great to look like you have spent hundreds and have only spent $20 :banana:

God Bless the Thrifts :thmbsp:

I just wish the hell I could walk in our local GW and find just one decent vintage piece of gear working or not but I have yet to ever see anything better than the typical Soundesign crapola :cry: I figure the good stuff never makes it out to the Delavan outpost and was prolly gone through at the larger stores in the big city, pisses me off cuz I can't afford to drive an hour one way every day just to see if anything is there in say Milwaukee or Racine where the distribution centers are. Do pay off's work????

Back
Top Bottom