Ease my mind SX-980, vs SX-1080/ SX-1280

Once you connect the DBX200 line in/out to the receiver tape monitor as shown on the DBX graphic, you can the use the Processor In jacks to provide three additional line inputs for other sources.
Thank you LesE!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share last weekend's project with you. My old Container Store rack was old and one of the castors literally broke off. Trying to keep it clean of dust and the size was getting old. And since I have been putting my system back together I've also been getting rid of gear I don't use anymore. So, I wanted a new stereo rack but didn't want to spend the money for one of the really high-end stereo racks right now. Believe it or not, this was a Craigslist find and it has been great. The distributor weight tested it for me and even delivered it to me. It was built in 1981 and never used. It is all walnut with the exception of the very top and bottom panels. I hit it with a little "Liquid Gold" wood polish, moved the racks and drilled one small hole in the back to accommodate cables and I'm in business.

Attachments

• Old Rack-BEFORE-(small).jpg
    Old Rack-BEFORE-(small).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 39
  • New-Stereo-Cabinet-(small).jpg
    New-Stereo-Cabinet-(small).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 42
  • New-Stereo-Cabinet-Right-View-(small).jpg
    New-Stereo-Cabinet-Right-View-(small).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 40
  • New-Receiver-(small).jpg
    New-Receiver-(small).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 41
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share something really cool that I thought the group would enjoy. I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this so Admin please let me know if I should move this to a different thread. Have you heard of "Kendrick Sound?" They are primarily a speaker restoration company in Tokyo, Japan. They are run by a young man (always nice to see young people into hi-fi these days) and they are doing some really amazing work with speakers. Now, obviously we're listening to a compressed YouTube signal but you can still get a good sense of the soundstage and fidelity. Of course the computer speakers you are using will make a difference. I am using a 27" iMac and the stock internal speakers. Check them out and let me know what you honestly think of what you see and what you hear. Here's three of my favorite links to get you started:

KRS 4344 High-End Special Crossover Speakers (advance to 3:50 into the video to hear music):

JBL 4311 special speakers delivered to Mr. Matsumura (this is a really big sound out of a small speaker):

YouTube Channel (tons of videos and custom speakers):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5b1QVECAqmbXKgPJHgFNgw

BONUS: Customers trade in speakers for new ones and they resell them. These Tannoy Kensington's sound great to me.

Change the World - Eric Clapton played on Tannoy Kensington GR at Kendrick Sound:

I have to share my happy experience with the SX-980. I had some early problems on the eBay purchased receiver with idle current imbalance and the protection circuit tripping. I then accidentally popped some things on the PS board trying to self-diagnose it before I called for professional help to get it up to snuff.

Meanwhile, I repaired the foam surrounds and recapped my 1981 Bose 601-I's (I don't want to hear the dissing). They can take everything the 980 can pump out up to my own hearing tolerance level. My brother bought some 601-IIs a few years after mine that also had rotten surrounds. I fixed them and have wired all 4 of them to the 980. The S-1's have much more bass response, and a flatter midrange than the S-II's which have clearer and well defined midrange. With A+B, I cannot crank past about 2:30-3 until it is simply unhealthy. I have tried a set of Boston Acoustics VR-40's that have beautiful midrange and presence, but poor low end punch (designed to run with a sub). Interestingly, they are rated at 8 ohm, but will consistently trip the protection circuit on the receiver at about 15W output. I'll have to give the S-II's back soon, but am immensely enjoying the beautiful overall balance of the 4 601's while I have them!

Really good thread. I currently own a Sx-737. Nice budget receiver. Has anyone here tried or is using the SX-980 as a preamp? I’m assembling a somewhat vintage setup & my speakers are hard to drive & have a good power amp in mind that can handle dips into the 2ohm range. The 980 would be awesome on the console. Thank you.

Really good thread. I currently own a Sx-737. Nice budget receiver. Has anyone here tried or is using the SX-980 as a preamp? I’m assembling a somewhat vintage setup & my speakers are hard to drive & have a good power amp in mind that can handle dips into the 2ohm range. The 980 would be awesome on the console. Thank you.
Yes.

Grab the signal for the power amp at the pre-out jacks, it is a 1v 1k ohm output impedance. ALL the tone etc controls apply.

The other jacks (tape etc) are 150 mV signals BEFORE any tone controls - so you don't want to use them.

Back
Top Bottom