Easier cheaper parts available vintage receiver brands to look at?

Marksj

Starting to get the bug! I had a yamaha 45 years ago. Not sure of the model number now. Seems like it was unrepairable or not cost effective to repair 20 years ago. Had kids and bills to pay but here I
am. Not trying to start a model war but looking for suggestions.

45 years ago was a little before Yamaha's prime. There were a few models exported, but the Yamaha of renown (at least in the US) appeared ca. 1976 (which is about 42-43 years ago, although my arithmetic is always a bit suspect).

I am a little nonlinear when it comes to Yamaha hardware from that era, so I'm not going to be able to help you much. ;)

DSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Any models of that era that are cheaper, easier to get parts for if needed. Looking at Marantz, Kenwood any others worth looking into?

Not Marantz. Very pricey, high demand -- and (to my ears and taste) mediocre sonics. I am referring to the 1970s Superscope-era Marantz-branded equipment, not the excellent vacuum tube electronics produced when it was still Saul Marantz's company.

Kenwood might be worth serious consideration. For whatever reason, they seem to have been relegated to a lower tier from the perspective of 21st Century retro-collectors. I'd consider Kenwood at par with Pioneer. Again, mediocre, massmarket gear (from my perspective), but probably cheaper, too, in general.

I think the Yamaha stuff of that era still sounds pretty good. Not that there's not better to be found, but for its time it was - again IMO - much better than average massmarket Japanese equipment (which is why I still have the amp I bought in 1978, and have acquired... umm... a few more pieces besides in the ensuing 40-ish years).

DSC_0576 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
(Pioneer on the left, Yamaha on the right)

Doesn't exist, since the parts that wear out, like pots, switches are long obsolete. All you can do is salvage from what you can get, like spares, to extend life.

My favorite "cheaper" vintage gear is Realistic. Phenomenal sound per $ ratio. I like Kenny's too. But really I would just start by seeing what you have available locally. Check adds and local Goodwill stores and such. The best buy on vintage audio gear is the one that everyone else missed. And there is always the potential for some Sony, Technics, Akai or some odd diamond in the rough. Personally I would rather listen to them then fix them, so I typically look for stuff in VG condition and roll the dice. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Starting to get the bug! I had a yamaha 45 years ago. Not sure of the model number now. Seems like it was unrepairable or not cost effective to repair 20 years ago. Had kids and bills to pay but here I
am. Not trying to start a model war but looking for suggestions.
Find one that’s currently working, plug it into a power strip, and use that to control the on-off. The power switch is the leading contender for problems in a vintage receiver.

My recommendation fir a great budget receiver? A harman kardon 330, 430, 630, 730, or 930 series. Great sound, well built, almost always under priced, especially the 330 models.

Find one that’s currently working, plug it into a power strip, and use that to control the on-off. The power switch is the leading contender for problems in a vintage receiver.

My recommendation fir a great budget receiver? A harman kardon 330, 430, 630, 730, or 930 series. Great sound, well built, almost always under priced, especially the 330 models.

I have a 330A that I restored (nostalgia from my younger days caused me to reacquire one). The sound is really good. The 330B (later units with an 'A' at the end of the SN) are even better as the heat sinking is much improved and the sonic signature just as good. Definitely a good, inexpensive receiver if you don't need too much power (20WPC).

I have a 330A that I restored (nostalgia from my younger days caused me to reacquire one). The sound is really good. The 330B (later units with an 'A' at the end of the SN) are even better as the heat sinking is much improved and the sonic signature just as good. Definitely a good, inexpensive receiver if you don't need too much power (20WPC).
I forgot all about this thread. I found a Marantz 2245 near me that I was able to audition before I purchased. I made a deal on it and I am glad i did. Thanks for the replys and sorry I didn't get back to say I had purchased a receiver.

I forgot all about this thread. I found a Marantz 2245 near me that I was able to audition before I purchased. I made a deal on it and I am glad i did. Thanks for the replys and sorry I didn't get back to say I had purchased a receiver.
That’s a nice choice. Good sound and pretty to look at!

Doesn't exist, since the parts that wear out, like pots, switches are long obsolete.
Maybe so but what does exist is the number of units sold and the length of their "career" as good sellers, had lots to do with looks so if your focus is a mid-70's receiver for example, then Pioneer SX series is a wise choice, as is Kenwood KR's and most mid-powered Yams of the day thanks to innovative face plates graced with then-novelty toggles (Pioneer) and the Yam trademark elongated selectors that would enjoy decade-long fashionability. Someone mentioned Realistic... (btw who made that brand?) The aforementioned units that were once in great numbers can provide a large number of parts. Not new ones obviously but the vintage parts market is largely dependent on on pre-owned and/or surplus stocks.

Quoting me are you :)
The aforementioned units that were once in great numbers can provide a large number of parts.
Only if someone bothers to do it (do you practice what you preach?) instead of going to the dump. You are correct, tons of good parts go to the dump every day, it saddens me but they dumpster patrol will not even let grab the ones they take in, I have to get to them before they hand them off.
I have a Realistic STA2250 and the service manual, no indication of who made it. I know that Elna made lots of assemblies for stereo's, my KR-5030 uses Elna assemblies in it.

do you practice what you preach?

Only when I have to. :D

But seriously, sourcing parts for vintage receivers is not as arduous as one would blelieve. Think outside the box and ask yourself who is likely to have tons of telecom equipment sitting idle gathering dust these last few decades? Yes, that's right.

Back
Top Bottom