Easy cabinet for 500B

podbaydoors

Here's an easy cabinet project for anyone with minimal woodworking / metalworking skills.
A lot of the 500 receivers seem to be found without cabinets, so here's the quick fix.
I'm going to use 3/4" birch faced plywood and stain it a mellow color to go with the faceplate's anodizing.
Have fun!

For anyone looking at this thread, please ignore the uploaded PDF file first presented here. There were a few errors which have been addressed in the revised file in the later posting below.

And now there is another, final revision

Attachments

• FISHER_500B_CABINET.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
This brings up a question that has been bugging me: How do you cut the groove in the wood for the perforated aluminum screen?

You can use a readily available slitting saw and arbor holder like the ones available at Grizzly.
Saw: Item # 9466
Arbor: Item # G1438

I use one that I purpose built for the application which allows for a 3/8" depth of cut as shown in the attached PDF.

The drill press quill must be locked tight to maintain the cutter height relative to the workpiece.

Attachments

• THIN_KERF_SLITTING_SAW_ARBOR.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 18
I was thinking a router with a slot cutter bit. They have a bearing on the end that follows the wood, the blade sits above it. Different blade widths and diameters exist depending on the slot you need to cut.

FISHER's are like ICEBOXES compared to CITATIONS for the most part. The preamp might be a different story tho.

I was thinking a router with a slot cutter bit. They have a bearing on the end that follows the wood, the blade sits above it. Different blade widths and diameters exist depending on the slot you need to cut.
The router with slot bit would be a good way to go, I don’t have such a bit and I’d need one with adequate depth of cut. I had the slitting saw, so I made use of it.

hear you on that. use what you got. I've done all sorts of things with stuff that wasn't quite meant for the job, but its what I had.

Great info, guys - thanks! This (and the lack of a table saw so far) is what has been keeping me from trying my hand at building my own cabinets. Maybe in the near future I will give it a try.

I have a few built up to a different pattern. I have a few "blems" as we are still working out the locking miter joint that my dad (the woodworker) insisted on using. I based it on the style of cabinet my 400 came in, but couldn't source the masonite screening material, so I went with black aluminum.

I'm not ready for prime time yet, but we are getting better.

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

Here is the updated revision of the fisher cabinet project.
The cabinet as shown in the attached PDF was completed last night.
I decided to adorn it with cherry veneer, which will be finished tonight.
I'll post pics as soon as that is complete.

This one was too tight, see final revision

Attachments

• Fisher_500B_revised_cabinet.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have a few built up to a different pattern. I have a few "blems" as we are still working out the locking miter joint that my dad (the woodworker) insisted on using. I based it on the style of cabinet my 400 came in, but couldn't source the masonite screening material, so I went with black aluminum.

I'm not ready for prime time yet, but we are getting better.

View attachment 1100702

View attachment 1100703
That's a really attractive cabinet.
Guess we all are pursuing the same goals!

Ok, so I finally got around to finishing it.
When I slipped the 500B into the cabinet, it looked sorta blah just pushed up to the front of the box.
I added a piece of mitered 1/4 round and it seemed to dress it up nicely. fisher1.jpg fisher2.jpg fisher3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom