Easy way to go from VCR to PC Monitor

VintageNut

OK, I have not done much messing around with TV and PCs, but I have a PC in a spare bedroom with a 21" monitor that has dual VGA inputs. What's the easiest way to go from the VCR to the PC? Can I get an adaptor to take the composite video out from the VCR right to the monitor? I figured with the two inputs on the monitor it would be kinda neat to watch tv thru the VCR by flipping a switch on the monitor. Or do I have to have a video capture card?
I'm guessing I have to get a video capture card because of the difference in resolutions. Thanks

Last edited:
Ypu will either need an external, composite/S-Vid to VGA adapter, or an internal PCI card, capable of S-Vid or composite input/overlay. Any video card with video-in will allow this. The switching would be done through the VCR tuner.

I forgot I have an older video card in this PC, it's a TI-4600 Chaintech, with S-video in/out. Sounds like this will do it. Since there is only one S-Video jack, does the card sense when there ia an incoming signal?

It may auto sense it, but you will probably have to 'tell it' whether it should be an input or an output, via the video driver. Have a look at the driver options, or the video config utility.

Back
Top Bottom