eating a whole uncut steak inside a pita bread

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by illini, Aug 9, 2018.

1. illini

illini The Past is Alive

Hey.

I watched a movie recently where some of the cast ate a whole uncut steak inside a pita bread, in the same manner as eating a taco.

They cooked the steaks on a grill with charcoal and then they were sitting around on the patio eating uncut steaks placed inside a pita bread.

Has anyone had experience doing that or has heard of this? If so, what type of steak do you recommend?

Regards

Please register to disable this ad.

2. lifer70

lifer70 What? Subscriber

Never tried it but sure sounds good.
    Damn, now I'm hungry!

nj pheonix and illini like this.
  3. mark warren

mark warren Music Lover!

New York strip!

illini likes this.
  4. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Make a nice chimichurri as a topper and you'd be set.

illini likes this.
  5. Smallies

Smallies Super Member

You can improve your steak by changing the way you cut it and what knife you use. I have these old laser sharp serrated paring knives that maybe shred a bit while they cut, other knives are not as tasty. Pita uncut method would miss the whole process.

illini and shagman03 like this.
  6. hjames

hjames beware - winter is HERE! Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Yep - all the time.
    As a treat for struggling with a new week at work, we'll often have filet Mignon for dinner early in the week. (We eat a lot of chicken other nights)
    Emma sears around the edges in a hot cast iron skillet to keep the moisture in.
    I'll plop mine into a wrap, a small bun, or sometimes 2 slices of challah bread.
    I stay away from mayo and the like, but sometimes I'll lay thin slices of blue cheese, stilton or similar sharp cheese on top.
    Beats the pants off a hamburger!

7. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

It would only be a tender steak that you would be do this with. Filet Mignon would be at the top of that list. I personally like a steak that fights back a little.

illini likes this.
  8. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've done it with leftover steak, but never thought about it as the main event. I guess you get used to the whole steak, salad and baked potato routine and never get outside the box.
    I went out west and got introduced to fried corn-on-the-cob. I'd never heard of it, but after having it once it just seemed so damn logical.

illini likes this.
  9. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Lily! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Hmmm. That has possibilities. Take a small ribeye, get the grill screaming hot, and sear it, hard, both sides, so it's still nicely rare, inside. While it is on, cut a lepinje (Serbian bread), and toast the cut sides. Top with finely-diced onion, some ajvar (roasted red pepper relish), or maybe some toum (Lebanese garlic sauce, like a stiff aioli)

pustelniakr, illini and AlTinkster92 like this.
  10. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

Two words: sous vide.

illini likes this.
  11. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Then you can dip the sandwich in hot awe juice like for prime rib....

With a side of nachos and a malted beer !!!

illini likes this.

12. gogofast

gogofast AK Subscriber Subscriber

Whenever I go in the woods, I'd do something similar. Not when camping, but when hiking multiple days or chasing after mushrooms and such. I usually marinade skirt steaks cut thin, carry them in gallon sized ziplock, cook them in open fire (sometimes right on the hot charcoals) - that way, you don't need to carry around a skillet. Mix some veggies or wild mushrooms season with just salt and pepper, and then put them all in a pita pocket or a naan.

Djcoolray and illini like this.
  13. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Addicted Member

Skirt steak, marinated in a little fresh lime juice & chopped garlic, in a ZipLoc bag for a couple of hours. With or without sauteed Vidalia onions is cool....

14. hjames

Had one just the other day, took a picture ...
    double gloucester cheese under the steak,
    Nice pretzel roll from Giant, spinach souffle from stoffer,
    mashed taters with au jus and a pat of butter

Steak-Bun_7413.jpg

Heart attack on a plate ...yumm
    - like I say, we eat chicken, fish, or no meat other days of the week ...

John James likes this.
  15. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have done this many times. The trick is to use a Jiccard 48 blade Supertenderizer. I Learned about this device from Alton Brown on his TV Show “Good Eats”. What I love about this tenderizer is it does not destroy the steak like a mallet tenderizer does. When you finish the steak it hardly looks any different, and once cooked you cannot see any difference. But it sure does the job of tenderizering. I love bottom round steaks great flavor but they are not exactly a tender cut the Jiccard does the trick. It is is a great tool to get seasoning and meat tenderizers into the steak. The blades are replaceable and it has life time free replacement blades from Jiccard. It is easy to keep clean with a dishwashing brush. It doesn’t cost a lot either. $21.69 at Amazon.

A91AA08E-B63F-437E-9E76-9F9B79484BC4.jpeg D54015CB-5AD9-451D-8F7D-68602A084488.jpeg

16. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

As for the sandwich. How about an English shooters sandwich. Very easy to make and is the food of the Gods. The Two Fat Ladies Show how it is done. I make this sandwich in a hollowed out loaf of French Bread. Oh God is it good!

17. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Me too!
    Sitting on a commuter train , thinking about a whole steak sandwich on anything right now:rolleyes:

hjames likes this.
  18. hjames

And I had blinkin' obscene Cuisine (Lean Cuisine) for lunch ... arghh!