Eating Fish is healthy. Right?

My salmon is caught in Lake superior by yours truly (king and coho) and consumed that day or given to my pops .Many years ago when we had the million fish pink salmon runs id can them and boy that was delicious.Far superior to store bought.

My mom would put canned green olives in her tuna casserole and sprinkle Kraft parmesan cheese on the top. This was the 70s. God bless my mother, but she was a horrible cook. My dad would open a can of Alaskan sockeye and schlep it right down on some iceberg lettuce. Simple and delicious.

I was a chef (aka, "line cook") in a seafood restaurant and did the weekly ordering. Most fish, including huge, basically whole tunas (no head or tail) were flown in from FLA. I will not eat farm-raised shrimp or prawns. Might as well gargle with fecal matter. Get yourself some fresh NC greys or TX browns. Get 'em fresh-frozen (on the ship) in the off-season. If you must eat farm-raised salmon, know what farm you are getting it from.

20 years ago I would catch grief for asking if fish was wild or farm raised. I won't eat farm raised.

I too fish. My concerns are more with mercury. I catch from the top of the food chain, and must pay attention to how much I eat.

One of the things I have done with my beloved pressure cookers it prepare trout in them. Take any fresh caught trout, Rainbow, Brown, Cut Throat, Brook, which actually is not a trout but a Char. Clean them up if a large Brown, or Rainbow cut them up to fit. A little lemon juice, or Ponzo Soy Sauce. Some water, And process. Pressure cookers are individual beings so you learn how long it takes, the key is the soft bones. Once done refrigerate use it as you would canned salmon. The food of the Gods.

There is a side to this. My parents once had Irish Wolfhounds, a precious breed, they are difficult dogs the bring through puppyhood, not personality but their rapid growth. You have to closely watch their weight gains and feed accordingly. Canned whole fish is a very important part of that. Solid easy to digest proteins, the fatty acids help the cardio vascular system and the soft bones are a fantastic source of easy to utilize calcium for their rapid bone, and joint growth. Canned Mackerel is just the ticket. If you have a puppy dog canned sardines, canned in spring water, fed according to their size each day is ticket to heathy adult bones and joints

The world is getting contaminated more every day guys. It's all contaminated, just how much is the question.

Farmed fish and shrimp is terrible I would agree though, and no one should be eating this crap and supporting these industries. Scourge for the waters/lands that this farming occurs on. The farmed shrimp industry ruins the land where the these cesspools are dug. When completely ruined, they move on and dig another hole.

Good lord I am not alone my mom made some sort of white sauce mixed with the salmon out of the can on crackers. Salmon is forever ruined for me as is liver, yuck who wants to eat a filter any way?

Was curious about the recipe you mom might have used. Found this in a 1915 cook book on how to serve canned salmon. Looking over some of the recipes and there are some very interesting ones. The book even has instructions on how to open the cans.
Cover.jpg

Creamed Salmon

Two level tablespoonfuls of butter, two level tablespoonfuls of flour, one-fourth teaspoonful of salt, pinch of pepper, one cup of hot milk, one can of Salmon. Mix butter in saucepan; when bubbling but not burning, add the flour, salt and pepper and mix until perfectly smooth; add very slowly the hot milk, beating each time. Cook until it thickens, adding more salt if necessary. Remove all bones and skin from the Salmon, and break into inch pieces; stir lightly into the sauce, and when thoroughly heated, serve.

Salmon Toast

To a cup of White Sauce (see Sauces) stir in a cupful of Salmon which has been picked up fine, and pour over rounds of crisp toast. This makes a delicious breakfast dish.

Salmon Patties

Cut one can of Salmon into dice, heat one pint of the dice in half a pint of cream, season to taste with Cayenne pepper and salt. Fill warm patty shells with the Salmon and serve while

Here are the "white sauces" printed.

White Sauce

Two level tablespoonfuls of flour, two level tablespoonfuls of butter, one cup of hot milk, one-fourth teaspoonful of salt, pinch of pepper. Melt butter in saucepan until it bubbles; add the flour, salt and pepper; mix until smooth; then pour the hot milk in gradually, stirring and beating each time. Cook until it thickens. [you could really improve this White Sauce" with Japanese Dashi ]

Fish Sauce

One cup of milk, one egg, one level tablespoonful of corn starch, two level tablespoonfuls of butter, one teaspoonful of catsup, pinch of Cayenne pepper. Cook over hot water until it thickens, stirring constantly. [ oh this one is awful ]

Thick White Sauce For Cutlets or Croquettes

Four level tablespoonfuls of flour, two level tablespoonfuls of butter, one cup hot milk. one fourth teaspoonful of salt, pinch of pepper. Melt butter in saucepan until it bubbles; add the flour, salt and pepper; mix until smooth; then pour the hot milk in gradually, stirring and beating each time. Cook until it thickens. [ They are making oyster stew except they are substituting salmon and adding what in the US Navy is called "Bull F##k" to thicken it.]
Bird.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the link to the above recipe book.

http://www.books-about-california.com/Pages/Salmon_PPIE/Salmon_PPIE_text.html

This recipe sounds interesting.

Salmon Sandwichs

One cup of Boiled Salad Dressing (see Sauces), 1 and 1/2 cups of Minced Salmon, season to taste. Mix dressing and Salmon to a paste; slice bread very thin and spread with the Salmon paste, cut into fancy shapes and garnish with water cress or parsley. There can be made two or three hours before serving by placing closely together and covering with a damp napkin. The Salmon Paste will keep indefinitely.

Boiled Salad Dressing

Three eggs well beaten, one tablespoonful of butter, two level teaspoonfuls of mustard, one level teaspoonful of salt, one-half cup of vinegar, one-fourth teaspoonful of white pepper. Mix the ingredients well in a bowl, set bowl in hot water and stir the mixture until it thickens. Cool. If desired add more mustard.

I ate my share of those salmon patty things- my mom called them salmon croquettes to really lend some class to eating what amounted to some skin, bones and cracker crumbs. I went through a lot of ketchup back in those days.....

Fry up the patties, toss a hand full of flour in the pan of left over stuff and stir until browned. Pour in some milk (add more if too thick), stir until thickened. Add salt/pepper, pour on patties and eat.

Same as making for it breakfast with bacon grease or chicken fried steak. In the day mom and grandma had a can of grease on the stove.

Tuna casserole. Talk about gag me with a spoon. Staple of the early 60's.
OMG. I'm dying.
As a child we had soooo many tuna casseroles. If it wasn't that, it was a tater-tot casserole.
And the dreaded green bean casserole.
Just the word casserole does things to my mind and body.

My mother did tuna casserole, “puke in a pot” I actually made it in later years myself out of curiosity, it was still “puke in a pot”. I like canned Tuna in oil right out of the can. But Casserole itself is weapon of mass heaving.

I have a life long love of canned Alaskan Salmon. As a little Boy I used to devour the Salmon cakes my mother used to make. Since that day I just eat it out of the can, or make sandwiches with it. Best of all it is wild caught Salmon from Alaska. Each can is stamped thus. Bumble Bee is what I usually get but other Alaskan canned salmon brand are very good.

450.jpg

Walmart has Alaskan Pink Salmon through their Great Value line. Have you ever tried it ? I think I'm going to.

I've fished all my life. Caught tons of salmon, steelhead and trout. I don't eat farmed seafood and limit canned stuff. Canned salmon, anchovies and especially sardines from Portugal are indulgences. I'm fortunate to be able to eat fresh caught seafood. That reminds me, I need to get a new rod and reel and spear gun. Eating wild fish is healthy, especially if you catch it yourself.

Homemade Swedish Gravlax, I made from salmon my brother caught off the Pacific Coast. I make smoked salmon too.

gravlax2-sm.jpg

Tim64 you ruined the thought of creamed salmon with the mentioning of peas.Personally I believe peas are the most disgusting thing on planet earth with zero redeeming qualities.My old man tried to make me eat peas one time and I promptly barfed them all over the table and floor.Last time he tried that!

I can't stand canned Tuna. Probably because of the aforementioned "casserole" I was forced to eat as a child (in the early 60's). Fresh, on the other hand, OH MY!
Try this recipe for Tuna Croquettes and don't skimp on the green onions and lemon. I also add some celery seed and a good amount of lemon zest. It tastes very fresh and light. I'd think it would be even better made with leftover fresh tuna.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tuna-croquette-recipe-1940169

Growing up, I never had tuna casserole. Some years after I married, I asked the Fishwife to make some, as I felt I was missing out. Afterwards, I had her promise to never make that again.:eek:

Since we're talking about fish, has anyone noticed that clams seems to be hard to find lately? Specifically, frozen breaded clam strips.
We try to have some kind of seafood on Fridays. Not because of any religious beliefs, but after 30 yrs of marriage, it becomes difficult to decide what to make for dinner every day. So Fish Fridays narrows the choice of what to make for at least one day of the week. Sundays are usually Pig Sundays, usually pork chops or pork lion.
Occasionally, we don't pick up any fresh fish or we just had shrimp or tuna, so we keep a few boxes of fried breaded clam strips in the freezer for a quick Friday meal. The last time I saw clam strips for sale in the stores was before Christmas. Our Meijer store has had an empty space on the shelf for months now, even though they've been advertised in the weekly sale flyer.
So has there been some disruption in the supply or harvest that would account for this, or is it just a local anomaly?

My brother was in the cod fishing business out of Seattle. He and his partners owned a small fleet of catching and processing vessels. He can tell you stories.

They processed the fish onboard—cleaned them, dressed them and froze them; a floating factory. Any fish with parasites were set aside and sold to a Japanese processing ship that used the wormy fish to make that phony crab meat sold as “krab”, “artificial crab” and so forth. His #1 rule—never eat crab meat unless you’ve seen the whole crab. Same for lobster.

His #2 rule was never eat a piece of fish that isn’t irregularly shaped.

#3–be wary of salmon.

When I was young, (about 6-7) Mom made Salmon Patties at least once a month. I could not eat them, I guess I did not have the taste acquired yet. One day, I would not eat what was in front of me, (Salmon Patties). Dad said I could not leave the table until I ate a whole patty. I managed to finish it in 3hours.

Similar story here. Parents told me I had to eat a Salmon Patty before I was allowed to leave the table. They left me to eat a "patty" while they went to choir practice. I ended up blowing chunks a little later. I was never forced to eat anything else - at least not by my parents. To this day, I do not like Salmon - period.

Back
Top Bottom