Eating Fish is healthy. Right?

Try this recipe for Tuna Croquettes and don't skimp on the green onions and lemon. I also add some celery seed and a good amount of lemon zest. It tastes very fresh and light. I'd think it would be even better made with leftover fresh tuna.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tuna-croquette-recipe-1940169

Growing up, I never had tuna casserole. Some years after I married, I asked the Fishwife to make some, as I felt I was missing out. Afterwards, I had her promise to never make that again.:eek:
That does look like it might be tasty. Perhaps with a little Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce?

The problem is, I'm a bachelor and rarely cook anything that can't be made in batches, frozen and then nuked or reheated in the oven. Also in the rotation is frozen, wild caught salmon and cod. I did print out the recipe however, so maybe someday.

I used to travel extensively (US and Canada (long ago) only), and do miss the different fares throughout the country. That's the ONLY thing I miss about traveling though. Well, that and the expense account. ;)

My brother was in the cod fishing business out of Seattle. He and his partners owned a small fleet of catching and processing vessels. He can tell you stories.

They processed the fish onboard—cleaned them, dressed them and froze them; a floating factory. Any fish with parasites were set aside and sold to a Japanese processing ship that used the wormy fish to make that phony crab meat sold as “krab”, “artificial crab” and so forth. His #1 rule—never eat crab meat unless you’ve seen the whole crab. Same for lobster.

His #2 rule was never eat a piece of fish that isn’t irregularly shaped.

#3–be wary of salmon.

Mom was from Cornwall. Not unusual to have Cod for breakfast. I of course adopted it. Fast boil the cod meaning in hot water quick. If it's opening it's too long. Butter in the water. salt pepper in the water. Put it in a bowl with butter salt pepper and soft boiled eggs . Toast or English muffin to dip. Yum..

Walmart has Alaskan Pink Salmon through their Great Value line. Have you ever tried it ? I think I'm going to.
The Great Value Pink Salmon is nasty. My cat wouldn't even eat it. So far the tastiest I've tried is Starkist skinless / boneless in water.

It's a "product of Thailand" and doesn't claim to be wild caught.

Mom was from Cornwall. Not unusual to have Cod for breakfast. I of course adopted it. Fast boil the cod meaning in hot water quick. If it's opening it's too long. Butter in the water. salt pepper in the water. Put it in a bowl with butter salt pepper and soft boiled eggs . Toast or English muffin to dip. Yum..

Cod is my favorite salt water fish, walleye my favorite fresh water fish.

Tuna casserole. Talk about gag me with a spoon. Staple of the early 60's.

Sure the **** was. Gagged @ every bite-swallow. Might have disliked it more than I did salmon patties, but (bovine) liver and tongue still take the prize for most loathsome "staples" of the Sixties.

Cod is my favorite salt water fish, walleye my favorite fresh water fish.

Seconding both. About to sit down to some cod tonight, in fact. Walleye aren't around here, but back in Illinois, and especially when we's hand out around the Chippewa Flowage region of Wisconsin, walleye was everywhere.

I have a life long love of canned Alaskan Salmon. As a little Boy I used to devour the Salmon cakes my mother used to make. Since that day I just eat it out of the can, or make sandwiches with it. Best of all it is wild caught Salmon from Alaska. Each can is stamped thus. Bumble Bee is what I usually get but other Alaskan canned salmon brand are very good.

450.jpg
On fresh bread with lettuce. Can't beat it.

Add Fresh Flounder to your list.

Oh yeah, we used to get fresh caught flounder from a small fish shop when we lived by the beach in St. Augustine Florida. Fresh grouper was good too. We used to get excellent fresh shrimp though I think the shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico are a little better than Atlantic shrimp.

Last edited:
Seconding both. About to sit down to some cod tonight, in fact. Walleye aren't around here, but back in Illinois, and especially when we's hand out around the Chippewa Flowage region of Wisconsin, walleye was everywhere.

A pal of mine in my trade was a Chippewa from Minnesota, he’d go up to the reservation to gill net walleye and come back to Chicago with the trunk of his Olds 98 full of iced down fish. Then he’d throw a big party—fried walleye and Old Style.

A pal of mine in my trade was a Chippewa from Minnesota, he’d go up to the reservation to gill net walleye and come back to Chicago with the trunk of his Olds 98 full of iced down fish. Then he’d throw a big party—fried walleye and Old Style.

Yea they spear a lot of Walleye. Red Lake was once fished out. Took 10 years to get a population in there again. Now Millac's is going into it's second or third year of catch and release only for white man. There once was just a slot limit. Glad the fish went to a good cause. I remember as a kid having giant smelt fries in barrels. Now you might see a bucket full..

Fried Walleye + Old Style = Thinking about a trip "home" (ie, Chicago) this summer.

I notice that Culver’s has the Lenten season Northern Walleye sandwich and dinner plate back on the menu.

Go get yourself some fresh NC greys or TX browns. Get 'em fresh-frozen (on the ship) in the off-season.

I am DONE with American shrimp after being burned one too many times (fresh, frozen, grocery, restaurant) by shrimp that tasted like a bottle of Chlorox. It's due either to the USDA-approved use of sodium triphosphate as a disinfectant, or the deceitful use of bleach to improve the color and smell of spoiled shrimp. In either case, the taste gets concentrated in the shrimp at the bottom of the bin, and has ruined a number of fairly expensive dinners I've bought or cooked.

Some people seem less susceptible to noticing it, and I've run into people that think it's just how shrimp is supposed to taste. Say what you will, but I've never run into this in Thai or Vietnamese frozen shrimp.

Also, I've given up on any salmon not fresh, wild-caught, and purchased from the local premium seafood specialty shop. Not nescessarily because of the conditions most salmon is raised or processed in, but because so much of it is just so damn bad, with poor taste and texture. Good salmon is one of my favorite fish to eat, but stuff like the typical farmed and frozen fillets just isn't worth eating.

I am DONE with American shrimp after being burned one too many times (fresh, frozen, grocery, restaurant) by shrimp that tasted like a bottle of Chlorox.

I've run into that. Gotta know your seller, etc. Pick your poison, so to speak.

Mercury is indeed a very real problem with fish. The older the fish, the worst it is. There is also a disease called ciguaterra. In Florida and the Bahamas and in the Caribbean you are not recommended to eat the large members of top of the predator chain, especially barracuda. The smaller of the species are less likely to carry the disease yet. Snapper, grouper and many others fish are on this list of not to eat fish.

Back
Top Bottom