Eating Fish is healthy. Right?

The tuna casserole I grew up with was with mushroom soup and had crumbled potato chips on top. I liked it.

My brother inlaw recently retired from offshore work. He managed a group of natural gas production rigs. He had a crew of about 10-12guys. Fishing is frowned upon on most rigs, but when the boss is from Jean Lafitte, he can’t go near water without casting a line. He would catch fish out there, clean and freeze it and then pack it in a duffle for the chopper ride back to mainland. He would catch several species of saltwater fish. My favorite was Ling. They’re called Cobia in some other areas. These fish get very big and the meat has texture like tuna, but the meat is white. It has enough texture to stay together on a grill when cut into steaks. I almost never bought fish because he kept our and his own freezer stocked. We eat a lot of shrimp. I can get large gulf shrimp fresh for about $3.50 a lb. They’re good for grilling, boiling, and other dishes. I’m sure the shrimp are healthy, but hey, this is Louisiana, everything else in the dish not healthy. Mississippi may be largest producer of farm raised catfish in the US. I can find that fish in almost any grocery store here. It is very good. I avoid fish raised in other countries. Tilapia sucks. It is so popular that it may be raised here in the US somewhere, but it just tastes like nothing. I recall having a broiled redfish filet covered with crawfish étouffée. Might be one of the best things I ever ate. Seafood gumbo, redfish couvillion, softshell crabs- even on a poboy, fried shrimp poboy, and I’ll thow in some charbroiled oysters and fried oyster poboys although not my favorite. Oh man, You tuna casserole people have no idea what you are missing.

When I worked at a 5-star hotel back in the day, Chef Bito (our head chef and master of his craft) called me over while he butchered a swordfish. "This is why you ALWAYS order the tuna!" he said; the swordfish was loaded with black sea worms, he claimed it being the type of fish that stops swimming to ambush prey makes it susceptible to parasites.

That's gross!

Back
Top Bottom