EBay, here I go again!

FedEx is the worst!

They deliver to the wrong address, any address, then mark it as delivered.

Sure it was delivered, but to who? Not the intended recipient.

We just went through this with them for the last 2 weeks.

I’ve used FedEx for years and I’ve had very little problems. In fact I can’t recall one sending or receiving a package. Porch pirate thefts have gone up considerably.

Please share.

Thanks

Combining ideas from you and the others who have contributed... I would include in listing photos of serial number and anything that you could use to identify your item including modifications, defects, marks, scratches and so forth. I would then add a warning or a disclosure that includes ebay's policy which you found from your phone call to ebay. Be sure you state that protecting the integrity of the transaction is the responsibility of BOTH buyer and seller and go through the possible scenarios including what to do in case of porch piracy, i.e., filing a police report. I'm sure there is more. The goal is to show the scammers that you are aware of how the system works and that you will exercise your knowledge to prevent loss, intentional or not. And maybe some stern warning such as "If you are here for a reason other than to ensure the integrity of this transaction, please think twice about bidding on my item."

It is sad that it has gotten to this point, but there are photos that I post when I list something for sale, and a whole bunch more that I take, but don't post. Serial numbers, internals, etc., just to make sure I can identify MY piece should it be returned. I'll go through the insides and initial boards with a Sharpie, and put nail polish "seals" on cover screws in inconspicuous areas--so if someone cracks the case to steal or swap out a board, I can tell. ....

Curious to know if you have ever had to defend your sale, and if this strategy worked?

My impression was that eBay does not pay attention to this information

Curious to know if you have ever had to defend your sale, and if this strategy worked?

Fortunately, I have not had to deal with this specific issue myself--yet, but I have had to deal with shipping damage claims and SNAD claims, both as a buyer and seller. Ebay does pay attention if you have documentation and photos. If involved in a dispute, ALWAYS communicate via Ebay messaging--NEVER use private e-mail. Before you pack and ship anything, take a ton of photos. If you receive something, take a ton of photos of the box as delivered and then a sequence of photos as you unpack it. It is kind of a PITA, but "a picture is worth a thousand words" in these cases--otherwise it's just "he said, she said".

Fortunately, I have not had to deal with this specific issue myself--yet, but I have had to deal with shipping damage claims and SNAD claims, both as a buyer and seller. Ebay does pay attention if you have documentation and photos. If involved in a dispute, ALWAYS communicate via Ebay messaging--NEVER use private e-mail. Before you pack and ship anything, take a ton of photos. If you receive something, take a ton of photos of the box as delivered and then a sequence of photos as you unpack it. It is kind of a PITA, but "a picture is worth a thousand words" in these cases--otherwise it's just "he said, she said".

Ditto!

Ebay ruled against me in exactly four minutes. It was a 'bot. It would seem there is no strategy that works. It becomes a matter of who pays refund and what happens to the item.

I don’t know if I can get the report if one is filed but I’ll ask. I do have the serial number if that is needed also.

There is no reason you can not call the local police in his city to file a report. Give them all the information you have. I did it years ago in a similar and found the local cops to be helpful.

There is no reason you can not call the local police in his city to file a report. Give them all the information you have. I did it years ago in a similar and found the local cops to be helpful.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Ebay ruled against me in exactly four minutes. It was a 'bot. It would seem there is no strategy that works. It becomes a matter of who pays refund and what happens to the item.

Have you tried calling Ebay and getting a real human on the phone? I recently ran into an issue with Ebay. Shipping on an item took much longer than expected due the remnants of the hurricanes here in the East and the wildfires in the West. I was never contacted by the buyer and no claim was opened, but the buyer filed directly with Ebay via the "money back guarantee" because the item had not arrived--and was automatically refunded, and I was unaware until I got my account invoice and the refund appeared there on my monthly statement. I got an Ebay rep on the phone and gave them tracking info and proof of delivery and they removed the charge immediately.

Signature maybe but insurance not always.

Anything going to the Ebay Global Shipping Center or anything >$200, I always do signature required--someone has to sign for it. Insurance works, but unless you really overpack something and take pictures, the first response you will get it that it was "improperly packed" and the claim will be denied.

I discussed this in another thread, but a way around that is to have FedEx do the packing. If they pack/ship/insure it, they pretty much guarantee safe delivery, and in the event of a claim, they just pay the claim without question. Again--detailed photos of the item prior to packing is a MUST.

I recently sold some rather delicate and expensive items--I had them listed as local pick-up, but ended up having to ship them, just due to the market conditions (no local takers, but lots of interest if I'd ship). Just to be safe, I had FedEx pack them. There is a packing fee, but they provide all materials and do the work--and (to my surprise) the fee was very reasonable--I couldn't have done it any cheaper if I did it at home myself with my materials and time, and in the event of a claim, they are 100% responsible.

I had a buyer say they never received the package I sent, even though tracking info showed delivered. I thought, it's not my problem, but I talked to my postmaster about it. She pulled up the tracking info and even had GPS coordinates. I pulled up coordinates in Google Maps and saw where they delivered. There were two roads named the same, but one was Rd and one was Lane. I told the buyer and he went and got it from the "neighbor".

So, if you have deliver issues with USPS, check to see if you can get GPS coordinates.

BTW, I take a picture of the package after the PO sticks the postage and tracking labels on it. That way I have proof of the address it's going to (I hand write my labels. Have no printer).

With all the tech that companies like Fed-ex has available to them, why don't they have drivers take quick photos of packages delivered and left on front porch/stoops/door etc. They carry that little signature pad thing around. Why cant it have a little camera in it?

Have you tried calling Ebay and getting a real human on the phone? I recently ran into an issue with Ebay. Shipping on an item took much longer than expected due the remnants of the hurricanes here in the East and the wildfires in the West. I was never contacted by the buyer and no claim was opened, but the buyer filed directly with Ebay via the "money back guarantee" because the item had not arrived--and was automatically refunded, and I was unaware until I got my account invoice and the refund appeared there on my monthly statement. I got an Ebay rep on the phone and gave them tracking info and proof of delivery and they removed the charge immediately...

It was a sports item flipper who thought my item was something it was not. He wanted a look, decided he couldn't re-sell, and started a SNAD return. Nothing you can do about that.

I had a few of "those"...If buyer files a ridiculos complaint eBay automatically rules in buyer's favor.
HOWEVER...if you feel you have a solid argument in your favor-call eBay and speak to the rep.
I was told that most complaints are handled by the automated system so you need to explain yourself if you want a different outcome.
Case in point: I sold a few brand new computer batteries and shipped them to the address in Florida. Listing said: shipping only within Continental US.
Got a "not as described" case opened by the buyer saying one battery was physically damaged and one was missing...WTF?
Ebay automatically ruled for me to refund the buyer..And then...buyer's address was in Argentina!!!!! So I called eBay and explained the guy on a phone that item was sold to the US address and
I can not be responsible for my item ended up in South America.
Decision was reversed and that was the end of it.

UPS and USPS leave packages on the front door without ringing a doorbell even though it is obvious someone is home. I have already stepped on a package when leaving the house. Stealing packages is an issue near me and delivering to the wrong house is too. I had delivered notes saying put in my mailbox when the large box would definitely not fit in it.

I bought a little DAC on bartertown. USPS showed as delivered, but I did not receive it. I called my local PO and asked about the delivery. Sometimes they put packages in the strangest places, but I had scoured the entire area (I have a 800 foot driveway). It turns out here had been a sub for more regular carrier the day it was delivered and they dropped it at the wrong address. They recovered it and delivered it the next day.

Just the point to be made is that there are plenty of things less nefarious than scammers that occur all the time. And from the buyers side, establishing a dispute is the standard for protection isn't it? Following a certain protocol may be cumbersome and inconvenient, but at least it is essentially standardized.

OTOH, I am only a buyer for the most part. I have developed a great distaste for being a seller. Do the stories like that the OP has relayed really make up any significant statistical threat for the seller? I really don't know the answer, but combined with a typical cost of transaction around 13% or so, I won't go there to sell unless I really need the market.

Back
Top Bottom