EBay, here I go again!

I bought a little DAC on bartertown. USPS showed as delivered, but I did not receive it. I called my local PO and asked about the delivery. Sometimes they put packages in the strangest places, but I had scoured the entire area (I have a 800 foot driveway). It turns out here had been a sub for more regular carrier the day it was delivered and they dropped it at the wrong address. They recovered it and delivered it the next day.

Just the point to be made is that there are plenty of things less nefarious than scammers that occur all the time. And from the buyers side, establishing a dispute is the standard for protection isn't it? Following a certain protocol may be cumbersome and inconvenient, but at least it is essentially standardized.

OTOH, I am only a buyer for the most part. I have developed a great distaste for being a seller. Do the stories like that the OP has relayed really make up any significant statistical threat for the seller? I really don't know the answer, but combined with a typical cost of transaction around 13% or so, I won't go there to sell unless I really need the market.

Statistical return rate? One in a hundred in the long run. Problem is that seller loses original shipping cost AND must pay for return shipping...in addition to the privilege of paying FFV. Sometimes I abandon the item because the return shipping is not worth it. Second problem is that your listings lose visibility when a return case is opened. Sales go to zero while you wait for the item to get back to you. Sellers know this and quake when a return request is made. All this tilts in favor of the buyer which makes buying a good experience. No question about that. However, this exposes sellers to gaming and abuse which is maddening considering the cost. Ebay cost is higher that 13%. I calculated over a six month period 15%. Add in loss from returns and it's around 17%. This does not include my time or cost of going to the post office.

Case closed in my favor,

eBay Customer Support has made a final decision.

We received tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address. This case will not affect your seller performance. Any feedback left for this transaction will be removed.
Final decision :
This case was found in your favor
Transaction information :
Any remaining funds from this PayPal transaction are available.

Back
Top Bottom