Ebay scam?

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I noticed many high end equipment ebay ads that are set as an auction, but state that it is for a buy it now only purchase. They give a website to visit and are not set up with the buy it now feature. All ads from the same seller, I have seen these ads in the past and wondered if anyone has confirmed that they are truly a scam.
I'm hoping to save members from mistakenly getting ripped off if they are.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-8B-8-B-TUBE-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP/401323677162?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=b3254f8c5b664e50a09e71ad414299dc&pid=100290&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=172666376818

Last edited:
That's weird, the Marantz, unsurprisingly, has already exceed his 'alleged' buy it now price. The wording in the description on that Infinity listing doesn't make any sense...

Here is the sketchy webpage that you get if you follow the link he provides:

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 8.47.50 AM.png

I sure would not buy from such an ad - ebay is ebay,
the standard procedure is straightforward and offers some protection.

I contacted Ebay and they tell me that they are not breaking any rules (hard to believe). The seller has 100% feedback so I'm not sure what's going on here. The old saying, if it smells like CRAP, it most likely is CRAP comes to mind!

first line from model 2 ad (We’re Natural Sound, located in Framingham, Massachusetts. ) shipping info same ad
Shipping:
FREE Economy Shipping | See details
Item location:
Laguna Hills, California, United States
Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions
also no electronics listed under previous sales just clothes and receipt books

i think they hacked someone account and are just coping old ads and posting them

i think they hacked someone account and are just coping old ads and posting them

Yep. They hack accounts with good feedback and try to entice you to send money outside of eBay and PP.

If you look at the history for this account you'll notice for more than the past year they've never sold anything for more than ~60 GBP, and the way they write the descriptions is completely different.

I use the report feature on eBay. They typically clean up the mess in a day or two.

When you click on the link for their other items for sale, every item has the same thing as far as free shipping, and the 1500.00 buy it now price.

the account also says
Based in United Kingdom, theemporium22 has been an eBay member since May 29, 2001
but ad says
We’re Natural Sound, located in Framingham, Massachusetts.

I contacted Ebay and they tell me that they are not breaking any rules (hard to believe). The seller has 100% feedback so I'm not sure what's going on here. The old saying, if it smells like CRAP, it most likely is CRAP comes to mind!

It is very hard to believe that there are no rules being broken. They state that all bids will be removed and attempt to get you to purchase outside of eBay..

Yep. They hack accounts with good feedback and try to entice you to send money outside of eBay and PP.

If you look at the history for this account you'll notice for more than the past year they've never sold anything for more than ~60 GBP, and the way they write the descriptions is completely different.

I use the report feature on eBay. They typically clean up the mess in a day or two.
^^^ THIS ^^^

"they are not breaking any rules" ???? What kind of EBay rep was that? As greedy as EBay, selling outside of EBay is strictly forbidden ! Have you ever tried to put email in ebay message? You will be amazed how smart it is. It can identify at leas 5 different ways of hidden email address and kick you out of it. EBay spent tens of thousands of $$$ solely to prevent users exchange email to prevent users making deal outside of Ebay. Just Report this listing as avoiding EBay fee and you will be amazed how fast it is removed.

Over last weekend a few pairs of Sony SS-M9 ED's showed up too. Same ad, same pictures same serial numbers. One in Mass, the next day, in CA. Both sellers replied to emails, and both had decent 100% good feedback. I couldn't figure what the catch was.
Very odd. cant see what the catch is?
I also found the photos in a listing in Madrid Spain. I asked the seller and they said they listed them "internationally".. scumbags..
IMG_3014.PNG

Hijacked accounts. The flurry of these pops up every so often, and calms down....

Back
Top Bottom