Ebay Scammer Strikes!

savatage1973

Addicted Member
I just received a notification from Ebay that I am being billed for a refund to a buyer on my monthly account. The buyer never contacted me in any way, nor did they file a "not received" or "SNAD" complaint with Ebay--they filed under the Ebay "money back guarantee".

Apparently, this is a "back door" to extract refunds from sellers--beware. Of course, I am going to contest this, since I have confirmation of tracking/delivery and never had any documented dispute or claim filed against me from the buyer--no prior communication at all after the purchase. This is total BS. Just another way for Ebay and the scammers to screw sellers.

If eBay doesn’t come through and PayPal is also involved open a dispute with them. I just had EBay side with the seller for something I bought that arrived not as described and I was refused a refund.
I then opened a dispute with PayPal and was refunded the full amount from the seller.

If eBay doesn’t come through and PayPal is also involved open a dispute with them. I just had EBay side with the seller for something I bought that arrived not as described and I was refused a refund.
I then opened a dispute with PayPal and was refunded the full amount from the seller.

This is exactly the opposite. PayPal did not refund their money--Ebay just added it to my invoice for final value fees with no claim of not received, damaged or SNAD, just a claim under the Ebay money back guarantee. PayPal was never involved and there was zero communication amongst myself, Ebay, PayPal or the buyer--no formal complaint or claim. Like I stated--this appears to be a "back door" for scamming money out of sellers.

Did you verify this on your account page or is it a scam email/alert?

Edit: The account page takes time to update. Did you verify it with an ebay rep.?

I always specify no returns and refunds but on the actual listing, the dang ebay money back guarantee always shows up. Can't get rid of it no matter what boxes I tick. I get a couple of returns a year. Last one was a SNAD and the one prior was a paypal generated refund request that had no ebay case open. That one was a cash grab as it was months after the fact. I keep all USPS tracking number receipts so he got nothing. Interestingly, paypal released the funds to me but there is still a case open.

reason #4658 why I will never use ebay to sell ever again. It turned marginal people to begin with, into outright criminals.

so you have a buyer ID so he/she/it can be avoided?

reason #4658 why I will never use ebay to sell ever again. It turned marginal people to begin with, into outright criminals.

so you have a buyer ID so he/she/it can be avoided?

IMO the marginal people turned to criminals you speak of is a very very small percentage of EBay sellers and buyers. Probably less then 2%

An optimist has spoken

IMO the marginal people turned to criminals you speak of is a very very small percentage of EBay sellers and buyers. Probably less then 2%

An optimist has spoken

If the fees where not so bad (17%, not counting return losses) and the rules were more evenly balanced between buyer and seller, I would sell a lot more items on ebay. As things stand, I limit myself to inexpensive items because losing a $50 case does not mean anything in the long run. Lose a $500 item to the parts switchers and you will think differently.

Schiit! Here I was thinking 1 or 2% return rate is about right and I just got a return request seconds ago. I price my stuff below market for fast sale which I think is opening myself up to the bad flippers. I don't care if others flip on me but I do care if they are taking advantage of ebay rules to enable serial returns.

I hate using Ebay these days--back in the day, it was cool and people were civil. Now--not so much. But I have been trying to "clean house" and get rid of a bunch of stuff that I don't need/want anymore, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so CL is a crapshoot at best--people have to drive too far to get to me.

I have been screwed before with SNAD claims and never received claims, but they were resolved (mostly in my favor), but this is my first experience with the money back guarantee issue. As I have said before, this appears to be a "back door" to do a cash grab without filing any complaint.

An optimist has spoken
I love the optimism. However, let me qualify - my bizness was electronics naturally. AT the time I jumped off, it was just after the 6 month unconditional money back guarantee was instituted AND for electronics, we were told the buyer is under no obligation to return the item, but would get back price+shipping. AT the time, I was a power seller with the obligatory 96.9957 rating. We were also told by ebay that we should be able to absorb a 15% loss rate (walmart, fwiw crys like a baby at a .15% nationwide loss rate) various market studies showed that of the electronics transactions (the ones I cared about) almost 50% were fraudulent in nature. It became statistically significant that scammers were now selling to scammers- no one was getting anything in the deal, but no one was also getting paid.

compounding this, ebay was getting paid regardless, knew who the IDs were but $ talks. In other words, it is not in ebays best interest to clean the situation up. By now, everyone has figured out that buying storage lockers does not make you rich, but enough marginal people are content to collect the state sponsored monthly dole and an essentially tax free boost from ebay and live with the scams. Since I am losing the taste to fix stuff just for the experience of doing it - I have managed to fix well over a thousand items, its a good time to let it die off.

Back
Top Bottom