• I sell, but hide my shame from fellow AKr's

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Occasional seller

Votes: 126 22.3%
  • I don't sell, but I buy way too much

Votes: 92 16.3%
  • Occasional buyer

Votes: 216 38.2%
  • I want to B*tch Slap epay! Ruined the hobby!

Votes: 49 8.7%

• Total voters
I get pretty good deals occaisionally. I like to look for the ads with misspelled brand names, or incorrect model #s. You can get good stuff from people that don't know what they have. I got an old tek 2225 scope last week for 30 bucks shipped in perfect working order, because the seller didn't know how to test it, and was selling it for parts or repair. I won a dual 1224 today that I bid 20 bucks on and ended up being the only bidder with free shipping.

I love eBay.

I prefer selling stuff locally. I've had FedEx destroy my profits too many times.

I also like that eBay is bringing people into the hobby. I think it's a great way to learn and enjoy electronics, and woodworking, and metal work. Most people my age haven't ever used a soldering iron. I like that younger people are becoming interested in creating again, instead of waiting for the new version to come out next year, and discarding the old.

Last edited:
I love the term " Market Value" ... Thanks to Ebay, market value is no longer geographically contingent. I think ebay is a huge proponent of just what market value is. In the big picture, ebay is very much responsible for hobby's recent (last 10 years) influx. But my small picture wants a real competitor to help alleviate the fee situation.

Then adjust your selling price to cover the eBay fees.

I also like that eBay is bringing people into the hobby. I think it's a great way to learn and enjoy electronics, and woodworking, and metal work. Most people my age haven't ever used a soldering iron. I like that younger people are becoming interested in creating again, instead of waiting for the new version to come out next year, and discarding the old.

+1 eBay also makes finding parts/equipment, that before was a lot harder to locate.

. . . I love eBay. . . . Most people my age haven't ever used a soldering iron. . . .

As a buyer only, I love Ebay too. What's not to like about a massive, worldwide marketplace? Caveat emptor, that's all.

And most people any age have never used a soldering iron. "You fix old stereos? So you know how to weld?"

Then adjust your selling price to cover the eBay fees.

Of course the selling price reflects the fees. It is also adjusted for packing material and other "overhead".

My gripe is the complicated fee calculations and that in the last 12 years the fees have doubled.

I am a big fan of Ebay. ....But... Could you imagine if another company came along and simplified the fee structure ( not 6 pages of categorized percentages ) and reduced the average 16% of Paypal and Ebay fees by just 1 or 2 percent? Everyone would jump ship and the consumer wins as a result of competition. I support the worldwide marketplace and a Global Thrift Economy that is Ebay, it has the ability to smooth out the peaks, valleys and gaps in graphs.

Of course the selling price reflects the fees. It is also adjusted for packing material and other "overhead".

My gripe is the complicated fee calculations and that in the last 12 years the fees have doubled.

I am a big fan of Ebay. ....But... Could you imagine if another company came along and simplified the fee structure ( not 6 pages of categorized percentages ) and reduced the average 16% of Paypal and Ebay fees by just 1 or 2 percent? Everyone would jump ship and the consumer wins as a result of competition. I support the worldwide marketplace and a Global Thrift Economy that is Ebay, it has the ability to smooth out the peaks, valleys and gaps in graphs.

i have bought quite a few receivers , turntables etc on ebay. a few were returned because they were to damaged, a few more were damaged but repairable and i got partial refunds or sent parts. i find that a lot of sellers dont understand how heavy receivers are and that ups - fedex will drop them and toss them and the importance of double boxing them. i was able to find a replacement faceplate for this sansui the seller refunded me $200 to make things right but it could have been avoided with better packing. i must add that almost all the items are as they were described less the damage and that most sellers are pretty honest and willing to make things right when there is a problem.
20151014_180654.jpg 20151014_180444.jpg

Last edited:
As a buyer only, I love Ebay too. What's not to like about a massive, worldwide marketplace? Caveat emptor, that's all.

And most people any age have never used a soldering iron. "You fix old stereos? So you know how to weld?"

I learned alot from from my Grandpa, and most of the people that have taught me things have been older. Old Farmers can do just about anything with a torch, and a monkey wrench.

BTW I can weld too. And sew.

I can say both good and bad things about Evilbay. I find that it all comes down to what you are looking for. Items in big demand appear to be selling at too high a price. Items not too sought can still be found at a reasonable price. It also depends on how greedy you are. Way too many "I have to have it " greedy people on there who have no self control a are either too rich or too stupid or maybe a combination of the two and pay ridiculous prices for stuff, therefore setting new ridiculous price standards for some things that are not really worth that much. I have never sold anything there, but have bought stuff for my test bench and in general all I can say is that it worked out fairly well for me in the end. I always look at the big picture and not the isolated incidents. All in all, the majority of my transactions were good and make up for the couple of times that I got stiffed!

I always use buy it now if it's a fair price, and if see something on auction I want, I make the first bid and let it ride. You lose most of the time, but when you win, you end up with an awesome price.

I do frequently. I've gotten some excellent deals that way. Once in a while I've gotten some not so excellent deals. Its just the risk you take and frankly thats part of the fun.

I do frequently. I've gotten some excellent deals that way. Once in a while I've gotten some not so excellent deals. Its just the risk you take and frankly thats part of the fun.
The individuals are usually the ones that screw up the descriptions.

Office liquidators do it quite a bit as well. They have batches of equipment and label them all as the same model. You have to look at the picture.

This isn't eBay related but I got a free 50 inch plasma TV off Craigslist today by posting a want add for Broken and Unwanted Electronics. Sold it to my neighbor for 100 bucks five minutes later.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/wan/5453063396.html

It's kinda shady but it works, but there are companies in town that do the same thing. And they charge for pickup.

Another lady called wanting me to pick up a 65 in rear projection. But I don't have any way to move it.

They both told me that goodwill wasn't excepting TV right now, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Don't do it in KC, I get decent stuff this way.

They both told me that goodwill wasn't excepting TV right now, so I don't feel too bad about it.
I'm pretty sure it's just CRTs they don't want. I saw a LCD TV get put out fresh a couple of weeks ago. The CRTs aren't selling much if ever, which is the main reason why they don't want those. And really who does...

I'm pretty sure it's just CRTs they don't want. I saw a LCD TV get put out fresh a couple of weeks ago. The CRTs aren't selling much if ever, which is the main reason why they don't want those. And really who does...

I don't I put it in the ad, but they both did tell me that. I do actually give alot of the stuff away too. I keep the good stuff, or in this case sold it to my neighbor cheap, because I knew he needed a new one. I've probably given out at least 20 pioneer receivers that I could have easily made 150-200 bucks on to friends. And tons of eighties and 90s low end stuff mostly to goodwill. Most of it just needs cleaned, and lubed.

I'm going to pick up a 37 inch LCD, tonight from a guy that told me the same thing.

It might be a local deal. I'm probably just getting lucky. I usually don't get calls about TVs, It's usually home theater equipment, tools, and small appliances

Shut down my account last week after I got an email about an update I hadn't made. Logged in and discovered some dirtbag had changed the mailing address to Dallas, GA, and had just bought two expensive items. Still have no idea where he got my credentials, I've always been extremely vigilant about such things. Changed login on all my other accounts, even though by eBay account had a unique username, better to be sure.

Immediately called eBay to shut down the account. They really weren't at all interested in pursuing the dirtbag, like it was no big deal. No big loss, I never sold anything on eBay (prefer Craigslist), and can get most of what I ever bought there from Amazon.

Shut down my account last week after I got an email about an update I hadn't made. Logged in and discovered some dirtbag had changed the mailing address to Dallas, GA, and had just bought two expensive items. Still have no idea where he got my credentials, I've always been extremely vigilant about such things. Changed login on all my other accounts, even though by eBay account had a unique username, better to be sure.

Immediately called eBay to shut down the account. They really weren't at all interested in pursuing the dirtbag, like it was no big deal. No big loss, I never sold anything on eBay (prefer Craigslist), and can get most of what I ever bought there from Amazon.

They shut mine down one time because the buyer emailed me and told me he was going to punch holes in the speakers I sold him, and return them unless I cancelled the sale. So I cancelled the sale, and then he put in a claim against me.

After forwarding the email to eBay, they made him pay, and I sent him, the speakers with some "fresh" drivers newly installed.

Back
Top Bottom