Echowars: Ripple Current

I think I may finally have turned a corner. I took a resistance reading across the relay's coil, infinite ohms! I'm not sure whether it is the cause of the erratic voltages or the effect, but at least I'm making somewhat progress. The coil looks like it got pretty toasty over the years under close scrutiny.

Could the relay's coil have caused intermittent contact and throwing voltages out of whack? I think so, If I remember correctly, I got the correct voltages when the relay would be closed. Looks like I found my ace! What do you think echo??

If the relay coil was open, then all that would happen is that you would get no output. The relay isn't going to damage anything else.

Double and triple-check your reading...an open relay coil is a rare thing. If it is open, check the dropping resistor that limits current through the relay, and check the +35V supply. Something killed that relay...they very rarely just die.

Lastly, when you pull the relay, carefully pull the clear case off of it. You won't be able to find that particular mounting configuration anywhere, so you'll get a new relay from Digikey. I believe that the 1010 uses a 4PDT relay, which would mean a replacement part number of Z187-ND, but you'll pull the cover off of the new one and slip on the cover from the old to mount it.

Believe it or not, I found an exact replacement, from a place called www.skycraftsurplus.com, only $3.50. I already removed it, and the coil is in fact open.

Like you said, something did kill that relay. There was 63v across the coil, not sure why though (but, it has to be related to the erratic transistor voltages). I'm so damn frustrated with this project.

Last edited:
Look again...I'm nearly certain that the 1010 relay is a four-pole double-throw, and I don't see a 4PDT on that website...nor do I see one with the proper mounting configuration.

If there was 63V across the coil, then the 35V regulator is toast, and you still must check the limiting resistor.

EchoWars said:
Look again...I'm nearly certain that the 1010 relay is a four-pole double-throw, and I don't see a 4PDT on that website...nor do I see one with the proper mounting configuration.

If there was 63V across the coil, then the 35V regulator is toast, and you still must check the limiting resistor.

I think we're talking about 2 different things here, I'm working on a Technics SA-700.

Back
Top Bottom