eeney, meeney, miney, moe....

imglocked

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Good evening to all!
I am looking at 2 cars tmrw, for my daughter; 99% of her travels will be local, no more than 30 miles or so from home-base- work, college, shopping, etc. Both vehicles are from the same maker and we have great experience with this brand (4 currently in the family), but I am looking for objective opinions as to which one presents a 'better' option. Each listing has many pics and from this side of the screen both look to be in at least "VG" condition.Thanks in advance!

Jim

Veh. 1
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/newburgh-2002-subaru-outback-wagon/6782790032.html

Veh. 2
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/little-falls-2008-subaru-impreza/6798009714.html

Last edited:
Your links don't work.

I should mention if you don't know!

Avoid CVT transmissions (except in hybrids) as they don't sell parts for a rebuild as they are said to not be serviceable or the makers are greedy so a new trans is the only option at $4,500 US+., before installation. Buying them also feeds the greedy!

I'd be partial to the wagon for the flexibility in carrying capacity.

Yes, very much 'wagon-folk' here; I have a 14 Outback, #2 son an 04 Outback which us the kinda car she wants, hence the 02 Outback we are considering.
The 08 may be newer, but the 02 has had some preventative maintenance and has less mileage and frankly is a cooler looking ride!
My daughter and I are partial to the 02, my wife is in the 08 camp, so this ought be interesting.

Noticed one already had the head gaskets done. Not sure which years are prone to the head gasket failures, but you need to look into that if picking a Subaru.

can't seem to quote, but rest assured JohnJames, I am well versed in dispute mediation betwixt the ladies in my life! So much so, it is I who goes clothing/dress shopping with the little miss; Sweet 16s, proms and graduation! Mom stays home on burglar-watch!

Anyway, we saw both, bought one. The one I knew was a perfect match, based on prior experience, general automotive knowledge (newer ain't always better!) and on my preliminary convos with the seller, who proved my aural assessment of him being an honest man to be true. The fact that he is a civil service shlub like I was AND that he bent his 6'3" frame to give welcome hugs to my 5'1" wife & 5'3" daughter (no hug for me, but I'm good) helped seal the deal. Plus he has a '66 Ford truck named after his 2yr old daughter (vanity plate), which is a big plus for me in the 'car guy' category. Oh yeah, he has the same name as my #2 son who just happens to have the SAME damn car albeit 2 years and 20K miles older! Spooky, right!?! . . . . how the universe works to get people together.
AND he had an entire dossier of work done, (including EVERY oil-change receipt while in his possession) none of which was due to failure or accident, save for the battery, which as we all know, can & will shit the bed approximately whenever it wants! Oh, and he decided to put a new alternator in, tho there was no malfunction with the old one. THAT'S the kinda guy you wanna buy a used car from! Really, the only thing I need to do short-term is get a Bluetooth radio and some new speakers installed...WHAT!?!...she IS a teenager...and I AM an AK'er, so....

So, we went with the 2002 Outback. And to 'hjames', I stand corrected- there was only one wagon, the Outback. The Impreza was no wagon, a 4-door hatchback, yes, but FAR from being a wagon. And when my height-impaired loves say it was too small...well, that's just about all ya gotta hear 'bout that!!

I figured someone (maybe you!) bought the 02 as it was deleted by the seller when I looked early in the afternoon. .

Okay...the 02 Outback is all inspected and registered and Maggie is as pleased as punch!

There is a small issue I need the collective wisdom and knowledge of AK motorheads; there is a slight, but definite, gas odor that only appears when the climate control fan is on and seems to be coming thru the dash vents. I can't tell if it comes thru the floor or defrost vents. I had my local wrench replace the fuel filter and test/inspect the entire fuel system for leaks, which Diego found none.

Any ideas?

It could be coming in the outside vent in front of the windshield that takes in All (so the same air supplies the floor, dash, & defrost vents inside) the air for the HVAC system on most vehicles.

It could be picking up strong fumes in the engine compartment as the hood isn't sealed and it's lip or edge is right in front of that intake duct.

If you open the hood you may spot a misplaced hose as it's disconnected for the gas tank fume collection canister or leaky fuel rails for the fuel injectors.

You might see a line leaking or dripping fuel to the fuel rail etc. as it could have a loose or bad connection.

Back
Top Bottom