Effen Major Score today from my local S.A. Vienna Acoustics Mozarts!

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was looking at a sub when a guy brought these in. He was the original owner for the last 13 years or so. Said he paid something like 2K. Bought them from Harvey Sound in Manhattan.
Said they worked except for some buzz at higher volumes. Bases are sand filled, so they are heavy. Pulled the grills. Two woofers, one in each cab, are a partly separated from the surrounds, easy enough to re-glue.
I said to him if he hadn't already filled out the donation form, I'd make an offer. I made an offer of 50, he said 300 because of the donation deduction he would get on his taxes. I passed. Ran an errand, and thought these need to be in my house. Went back to S.A just as they were closing, and said I'd make an offer, last sale of the day! Showed the guy the separating surrounds, he says 10 bucks! I couldn't open my wallet fast enough and load the car!
These are gorgeous Rosewood, near mint. Looks like they may need spikes for the bottoms. Just a round rubber pad in the center.
Here's some pics Thoughts, opinions and things to watch for are welcome.
Cheers, Glenn
IMG_5023.jpg IMG_5024.jpg IMG_5025.jpg IMG_5026.jpg IMG_5027.jpg IMG_5028.jpg IMG_5029.jpg IMG_5030.jpg IMG_5031.jpg IMG_5032.jpg

Glenn
Your effen score is effen killin' me.
If there is any truth that you only get lucky once I guess your done. (For now! )
Congratulations
Jimmy

Great score! You definitely had the karma going. It's great they went to someone who will bring them back to their full glory.

Karma was definitely in my sphere today! I'm still in shock!
So, for now, I'm trying to pull the two drivers. Screws are out, but drivers aren't dropping out when I turn the cab on it's side. I don't see any evidence of a gasket or sealer being there because these are ported. I want to be extra careful removing them without doing any damage to the cabs.

Last edited:
Seems the only party that didnt win was the one that sold them

Thats not quite right
I understand quick turnover but $10?

Wasted donation. $50 $75 $125 all fair and likely sell quite fast

$10
They probably have a duffle bag theyre asking $10 for. With a tear in it
A junk piece of framed artwork for $10

They see that wood and polish and theyre
Eh just take it!

Its so
Sorry to say
Stupid

The scroes are great
But the wasted donations are just

Theyre not a good sign

A local shop use to sell the Vienna Acoustics brand. Gorgeous speakers. Beautiful sounding too. Warm and relaxed. A very delicate sound. Extremely musical.

Ya' done good! :beerchug:

I've had some great and lucky scores, and have spent quite a bit on gear. I hear ya, but someone else would have gotten them instead of me. I don't set their pricing policies.

Congratulations Glenn!:thumbsup:
They scream quality and looking forward to your repair update on them, not to mention a full review on how they perform. In other words Chop Chop and get fixing, Posthaste! :lurk:

Thanks gents!
I'm getting a "feel" for the woofer cones and want to make sure there's no VC rub. Seems the gaps are very tight. I have a 30hz test tone to run and will see how they sound. The original owner seemed to have played them with this condition. I hope they are ok, otherwise fleabay I go, see what's availablle.

We are not in the same ball park as Da Vinci speakers aren't we ?
Didn't no about Vienna speakers.. huge pardon me but, seeing those at my local thrift, I would have bet they were, well pardon me again, white van.... hhuggghhhh

So one woofer seems fried. Dead with the test tone running, and no readings on the meter.
The other woofer is fine, and the surround is re-glued and drying. On to ebay I go. There's a couple that look exactly the same, but with a shielded magnet. I went ahead and bought it.
Should be delivered May 3rd. Tomorrow I'll test the one speaker with both functioning woofers for a taste.

Back
Top Bottom