Efficient speakers that don't sound weird, and aren't super expensive?

Yeah, I know: that was what I wanted but the TB version is $1000 more expensive than the Spatials, and the Voxativ version is >$5500. :( Some reviewers had issues with the soundstage height. I was wondering how it would sound with the full range driver sitting above both bass speakers? I saw someone had it set up that way on YouTube.

UREI 813 or 815. They are basically special versions of a 604 with supplemental 15 inch woofers. If you have a good cabinet man you can buy a pair of new 604's for $1900 to start with and then add a pair of 416's later on. But you'll have to do your homework when adding the 416's as to tuning the enclosure and cross over design. Personally I would build 16 cu ft infinite baffles and build 3rd order low pass filter for the 416 tuned to 70 hz.

OMG, twiiii: I love seeing you guys build your stuff as I live vicariously through you all, however, I have no cabinet-making skills whatsoever. Cabinet makers are hard to find where I am.

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but Sansui sp 2500 3500 have nearly 100db/w, most klipsch speakers even the "lower" end are seriously efficient, but if you want over 100 a watt for good speakers you're going to have to go close to 500 unless you're seriously lucky, it's not as much cost as luck, I got my sp5000s no a or X for 75 dollars and they are factory spec 102db/w, and they're being driven by a pioneer m90 I got for 150 and trade of a synchro lab 95b tt, both straight unheard of prices for totl equipment, and the combination of that sensitivity and a .0003 harmonic distortion is pretty damn amazing to say the least, determination and always being viliglant and most importantly knowing what to look for and where to look for it is all you need to find what you're looking for

Thanks, man. I wasn't aware of the Sansui's. Will keep an eye out if the Spatials are a fail.

Tannoy 15 DMTii should be on your list if you haven't decided yet

hunter

Thanks, hunter. Yes, I was very interested in them but I couldn't find any for sale.

Looking forward to your impressions! Omega was on my short list. I have some M4's coming this week. My first OB speakers. Been listening to MMG's.

Hey Fr8dog3510, I will definitely leave my impressions when the Spatials arrive. I hear the Omega Alnico is very good; is that the one you were considering? I'm so excited that you will be checking out the M4s! Let us know how they sound!

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me with possible options: you have my sincere gratitude. I've made a list of all the options mentioned here if the Spatials don't pan out. It's the 60 day audition period that can't be beat so it's a minimal risk thing.

Rory

If they don't work out check out Zu dirty weekends . Zu also has a 60 day return policy. I love my Omens:biggrin:
I would agree that the Zu Audio (Druid) or Tekton Design speakers would have been a good option and more likely a better match with a 845 SET amplifier. Be sure to try the Spatial Audio speakers with a good quality SS amplifier before dumping them.

Some reviewers had issues with the soundstage height. I was wondering how it would sound with the full range driver sitting above both bass speakers? I saw someone had it set up that way on YouTube.
Rory

I built clones and had the same issue. Moving the TB1808 to the top took care of it, but created a slight roll off on the top end.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The full range driver does work better on top.

P1010016.jpg

UREI 813 or 815. They are basically special versions of a 604 with supplemental 15 inch woofers. If you have a good cabinet man you can buy a pair of new 604's for $1900 to start with and then add a pair of 416's later on. But you'll have to do your homework when adding the 416's as to tuning the enclosure and cross over design. Personally I would build 16 cu ft infinite baffles and build 3rd order low pass filter for the 416 tuned to 70 hz.
I have the Mastering Lab version of those, 604 with a 15" Utah..I have the Utah disconnected and I like it better..they are big, 20cu ft and somewhere between 250-300 lbs each.
They are pretty happy with 20w.

I would agree that the Zu Audio (Druid) or Tekton Design speakers would have been a good option and more likely a better match with a 845 SET amplifier. Be sure to try the Spatial Audio speakers with a good quality SS amplifier before dumping them.
I second the Tekton speakers. I just ordered some myself. I don't think they can be beat for the money. Pretty pumped about getting them.

Back
Top Bottom