Egg-cartons....

JesusChrysler

...drives a Dodge ; )
Okay just for shits n giggles I'll throw this in here fellas:

Years ago I had this brilliant idea to start bringing home stacks of egg cartons from my work (Perkins restaurant). Cause god knows I've rolled 12 million omelets in my 13 years as a cook..... ;P

Asked the question here about sound-proofing my basement with them, as the stereo used to be down there.... Holy Crap you would have thought I farted in church! Don't do it! Fire Hazard! Such and so on!

Is this still a big No No or what? I still have at least 6000 of them stacked in the basement (cuz I'm lazy see?)... House has yet to catch fire...

Would these or would these not be useful in my tiny listening space?

The mancave be ugly so no worries about that... just thought if I could somehow use them to make it sound better than why the hell not?

Thanks and no laughing!

:)

Matt

Very encouraging!

Was thinking lately it would be fun to experiment w/them as I have enough to make a couch out of......

Matt

Sheesh... at least 6000?? That's well over 400 30dz cases worth of eggs. However, it only comes out to 60,000 omelettes if they were 3 egg omelettes, not 12 million. :D But then again, I've never made anywhere even close to 60,000 omelettes as a chef for nearly 20 years.

It's funny, I was at a karaoke studio not too long ago with private rooms and each of the rooms ceilings were treated with 2 1/2 dozen egg carton squares.

You could probably use them on your ceilings like this karaoke place without any fire hazards provided there are no overhead lights.

As for walls, I'd just keep it away from electric sockets or any heat sources. I'd also refrain from smoking in that room if you do smoke. Other than those caveats, I don't see why you couldn't use egg cartons as a cheap alternative to acoustic diffusers.

Okay just for shits n giggles I'll throw this in here fellas:

Years ago I had this brilliant idea to start bringing home stacks of egg cartons from my work (Perkins restaurant). Cause god knows I've rolled 12 million omelets in my 13 years as a cook..... ;P

Asked the question here about sound-proofing my basement with them, as the stereo used to be down there.... Holy Crap you would have thought I farted in church! Don't do it! Fire Hazard! Such and so on!

Is this still a big No No or what? I still have at least 6000 of them stacked in the basement (cuz I'm lazy see?)... House has yet to catch fire...

Would these or would these not be useful in my tiny listening space?

The mancave be ugly so no worries about that... just thought if I could somehow use them to make it sound better than why the hell not?

Thanks and no laughing!

Matt

Thanks trhee.

Slight exaggeration on 12 million omelets... BUT I only brought home the cartons for a small period of time! I could (seriously) make a house if I brought home every carton from the last 13 years....

One overhead light in the room; but I could change that.... I smoke but not in the house... thinking I am going to try this out.

Thanks guys.

Matt

A few decades back they were commonly used for soundproofing rooms around these parts. Go for it!

I was going to do that about 30 years ago when I worked at Friendly's in the early mornings, but didn't know how to make sure there was no salmonella on them. Lysol spray and let dry, perhaps?

And for the record, I miss Perkins very much.

Tom

Tom:

Come on down to Ioway and I'll cook ya up a Granny's omelet or the ever-favorite Chicken Tender Melt!

Wish the corporate blokes would stop trying to follow the latest food trends and just let Perkins be the down to earth, family restaurant that it is.

And for the record I am Ecstatic Lent is over. Tilapia sticks to flat grills like a bitch.

Sorry, this is not a bitch about work thread, heh.

Matt

Always thought it would be fun to have an endless supply of Rhino-liner to spray egg cartons and hang them on the walls to see what that surface might do for sound in a listening room. It would probably be best to be a bachelor... If ya know what I mean. :)

Do some serious listening with your friends and wife or girlfriend (or both) before you put them up. Then put them up and re-test. Let us know what we've been missing (other than the wife/girlfriend combo). Second thought you can let us know about that too.

ha ha @ junknewbian! :)

Had a wife for almost 10 years now; if I have a girlfriend it's the stereo!!!

Seriously; I'm gonna do this... but what would be the preferred placement of these?

Ceiling, walls behind listening couch, sidewalls, behind the gear..... I do not know what is the most beneficial....

Matt

Interesting david.

But I'm gonna be a prick and put them up anyway seeing how I have an endless supply of free ones....

And on some level my inner devil says "of course a company that sells soundproofing supplies is gonna tell you that a cheap alternative is no good!"

We shall see.

Thanks again all comments for yay or nay. I appreciate them all.

Matt

I was under the impression that you weren't doing this for soundproofing reasons, but instead to break up standing waves and try to achieve better acoustics. If this is the case, you should give it a try.

Soundproofing is a different story.

Interesting david.

But I'm gonna be a prick and put them up anyway seeing how I have an endless supply of free ones....

And on some level my inner devil says "of course a company that sells soundproofing supplies is gonna tell you that a cheap alternative is no good!"

We shall see.

Thanks again all comments for yay or nay. I appreciate them all.

Matt

well thats just it, im not soundproofing....

I was just responding to the above link. aaand its getting a little late for me should probably call it a nite.

to be clear I am not trying to soundproof my listening room.

Thanks.

Matt

Then by all means, go for it and tell us the results. Good luck!

well thats just it, im not soundproofing....

I was just responding to the above link. aaand its getting a little late for me should probably call it a nite.

to be clear I am not trying to soundproof my listening room.

Thanks.

Matt

If the purpose is to tame standing waves and room modes, then bear the following in mind:
If the size of the room is small then you need to take special measures for low frequency modes in the 30 ~ 100Hz range. This cannot really be achieved by a single layer of eggcrates.

The eggcrates will have a bigger effect in the mid-high frequencies where they will absorb considerably, at least compared to the low frequency range. This will effectively render the room dull and dead with a very high decay rate for high frequencies. Imagine being in a medium size living room with thick carpets, velvet couches and two ply velvet curtains all over.

I'd recommend the following:

Stack the eggcrates forming a pillar and locate 4 such pillars at the four corners of the room. (or as close to them as possible). 2 feet height at least is what I have in mind but floor to ceiling is much better.

They will become bass traps (or corner traps if you prefer) of questionable but not negligible effectiveness and that really helps a room tame room modes.

If you can have a free supply of them, get more if needed and stack up more of them.

On the walls, the only thing they can really do for you is diffusion. But they probably have a weird absorption spectrum, which means they'd mess up your sound in other ways. It's absolutely not a sound-proofing solution. And it's definitely not a reverb solution unless you happen to have a room with a reverb spectrum that happens to be inverse to whatever weird absorption spectrum the cartons have (extremely unlikely).

If you were asking whether you should bring them home, I would say no, don't waste your time. But if you already have them at home, try messing with them if you want. Can't hurt anything, as long as you don't do any permanent damage to walls or whatever. I would seriously not expect good results but, hey, it's your house and you went through the effort of hauling them.

Keep in mind, they will probably make your room sound different, but different and good aren't the same thing.

Did you do it? How is the eggsperiment going? :) Years ago I had a friend who covered his very small basement room with the cardboard egg cartons. He practiced on his guitar with another friend who was playing drums. I never asked the intended purpose for the egg cartons I assume he was either attempting to block sound reflection or to sound proof. I did not hear them practice before the treatment so I do not have a comparison, and they played pretty loud so I do not think it made much difference for either of the potential intended purposes.

ahh nope sorry fellas my idea has been postponed due to extra work scheduling and the fact im having a baby literally any day now... but when i get to it ill let yall know!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom