ehoove gives in - My Main Rig

ehoove

Old & New - Carpe Diem
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I've been checking out everyone's rigs, and finally decided to join the party. Here is my Main Rig:

PreAmp > ARC SP14
Pwr Amps > Acurus A200(2), Acurus A200X3,
Crossovers > Behringer DCX2496 - NHT X1
Vinyl source > Thorens TD160 Hot Rod/Sumiko Blackbird
Digital Sources > Marantz SA8003 SACD - Logitec Squeezebox Touch
Speakers > Magnepan MGIIIa (maple frames/tri-amped)
Subwoofers > NHT W2 Sub(2)

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Nice setup, Jim. Larger pics would even make it all look even better. When I click on them they are the same size. Maybe it's on my end. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. :D

Maggies

Ahhh! Mucho better, gracias. How do those maggies sound cuz they sure look nice.

Well I will say this, They have more drive and headroom than standard MGIIIa's. The hardwood frames drain of excess vibration from the panels, and the isolation strips under the Ribbon Tweeters isolate them from the main panels, so they can play louder, and actually have more depth at lower volumes. Of course the 900 watts feeding each of them provides plenty of steam. No worries about clipping that's for sure, and I have not blown a fuse! The use of an active EQ really allows you to dial in the speakers, and improves the efficiency as well. With the addition of the 2 NHT W2 12" sealed cabinet subwoofers they are capable of playing any genre of music. I have a ton of time invested in them, and I must say it was worth every hour. They will not be going anywhere and my quest for MG3.6's has lost it's urgency.
Regards,
Jim

Clean setup!

One thing I noticed...the Audio Technica isolation feet under the TT and CDP. I use the exact feet under my TT and Marantz SA8003! :thmbsp: I only use (3) on the CDP as well, but with the (1) under the transport.

I haven't seen anyone else using the same thing. I just had to say something due to similarity. :D

Cory

Jim, nice setup!

Tell me more about the PreAmp- the ARC SP14. Is this a SS or tube pre?

The power Amps are these the newest of the Acurus models, the A200 and A200X3?

The Audio Research SP14 is a hybrid Preamp. Basically SS, but with a tube Phono Section that I find a great match for the Blackbird!
Regards,
Jim

Clean setup!

One thing I noticed...the Audio Technica isolation feet under the TT and CDP. I use the exact feet under my TT and Marantz SA8003! :thmbsp: I only use (3) on the CDP as well, but with the (1) under the transport.

I haven't seen anyone else using the same thing. I just had to say something due to similarity. :D

Cory

I have used the AT 605's since the 70's and now I notice that they are going for stupid money. They do a great job though! How do you like your SA8003? Great unit to me and a real bang for the buck.
Regards,
Jim

Very, very-nice setup. You apparently-didn't have to put the Maggies out too-far from the wall - That's good.

Judging from how high up that table is, you must be very-tall.

The nice thing about Acurus amps is the fact the heat sinks are on the sides and back. I can run the rig hard and the amps barely get warm, even stacked that way. And thats running them at 2 > 4 ohms!
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom