Eico AF-4 Phono Preamp options, other questions

Micah McDowe

Hello all,

I've been enjoying my AF-4 for many years with almost no maintenance other than some new caps and a thorough cleaning when I found it. I previously used it with digital sources, but lately I've been using it almost exclusively with a turntable.

Since the AF-4 only has crystal/ceramic cartridge inputs, I was using it with a cheap Pyle phono preamp to get me by. I've now upgraded to an Audio Technica AT-PEQ3, but it still feels anachronistic. Is there a good option for a phono stage that would compliment the AF4 in sound and aesthetics? An HF-85 seems to be overkill just for the phono section. Budget is important as well.

Also, is there a better option for the volume/tone pots? The dual volume pot always requires a great deal of fiddling to get the volume the same on both channels. I never use the tone pots; can they be bypassed to clean up the signal path a bit?

I switched my tone and volume pots around on my AF-4 and that worked well.
They are both the same value 1meg potentiometer with loudness tap

Check tracking with an analog ohm meter

Last edited:
I'd say, just use a good, affordable phono preamp and hide it if you're concerned about aesthetics. Maybe look at a Schiit Mani(?).

No comment/experience vis-a-vis the pots. I haven't noticed any trouble with the ones on our AF-4 (which, FWIW, has been in my family for its entire life; being purchased as a $4 grab bag item by my father in the 1960s from his electronics parts distributor!).

Back
Top Bottom